Running a "modern" laptop on wireless network?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My sister has an ancient 'puter that has a port into which a wireless card plugs and it SLOWLY uses ATT wireless.

We got her a smokin' Compaq (which I'm on in front of the local library)

There is no wireless network in her place of employment.

I know somebody knows!

Is there a way to use USB or network cable plug in to get to ATT wireless?

If not this fancy hotrod is almost worthless.

THANKS!

K A

Enlightened
I'm assuming that it is a wireless broadband card for her laptop that she is using and she is paying for wireless broadband access from AT&T ($60/month for the data connect). If so.. she should be able to upgrade to a more current model. Check here all the way at the bottom for the current selection of wireless broadband cards AT&T carries. Most of them are USB sticks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
THANKS!!!

I KNEW someone would have the answer!

There is a new ATT store in Livingston and when I carried the laptop in there the girl looked at me like I was from Jupiter or something!

All I gotta do is find a REAL ATT store and everything should work out fine!

Thanks again man!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm in my sisters workplace on a Jupiter USB adapter.

It does not EVEN seem as fast as when I was on WIFI in front of the Library but it does work.

I plan to get a laptop of my own and I'll just find wifi thank you!

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
I'm in my sisters workplace on a Jupiter USB adapter.

It does not EVEN seem as fast as when I was on WIFI in front of the Library but it does work.

I plan to get a laptop of my own and I'll just find wifi thank you!

Just so you are aware, broad-band service will (mostly) be a lot slower than a WiFi connection. Unless you happen to be in a area that has 3G (or higher) wireless, your connection speed will be a lot slower. Also, read your ATT service contract closely, typically all broadband services have a monthly cap on the amount of data that can be transferred, once that cap is exceeded, you may start to be charged per kilobyte of data until your next billing cycle (and it's not cheap). Wifi connections do not typically have this limitation.

K A

Enlightened
Just so you are aware, broad-band service will (mostly) be a lot slower than a WiFi connection. Unless you happen to be in a area that has 3G (or higher) wireless, your connection speed will be a lot slower. Also, read your ATT service contract closely, typically all broadband services have a monthly cap on the amount of data that can be transferred, once that cap is exceeded, you may start to be charged per kilobyte of data until your next billing cycle (and it's not cheap). Wifi connections do not typically have this limitation.

Correct. The current limit on the Data Connect feature is 5GB/month with 0.00048/KB over the 5GB. That's the current offering though.. Your sisters current contract may be different! She may or may not be on an older plan with different details than above.

Not to mention I think the fastest the mobile broadband gets is like 3.6Mbit/sec. or 7.2Mbit/sec. Something to that effect. Alot slower than wireless G and the newer N coming out.