What to do with maglite mini assembly ? Body got ran over

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I'm a newbie to candlepower happy new years to everyone. Anyways, my gf ran over my brand new 3 minimag flashlight that someone gave me as a x-mas gift. The head unit in perfect working order. I have a regular minimag and tried putting it i there the led come on but the problem is that the led unit seems to be a cm too long for the regular mini mag. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion what is the best way to fit it in there. Should I grind the opening so the unit goes through and than make a larger opening for the reflector? Can the maglite led casing assembly be taken apart I assume that the electronics doesn't need to be as big as that casing.

thanks

P.S. does anyone know the link to the posting where someone made a circut so the mag led has a longer runtime? I spent 2 hours searching for that link but couldn't find it under the search option.

thanks ahead of time.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing it's the stock MagLED 3AA that got run over and you are trying to fit the LED module into a incan Minimag? I don't think it would work. The MinimagLED and the normal Minimag ahve a different body.

If you plan on using the module, even if it can't be used in the Minimag, now might be a good time to swap in a current gen LED(the Seoul P4 works best) for twice the outout with the same runtime.

As for the Maglite thing, I might be linked to in this thread.

:welcome:

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious what did she run them over with? I've run over mags before and they just get scratched.

Must have been a tank.

She ran it over in her father dually bed was filled with at least a tons worth of concrete. One of the things I noted compared to regular mini mag is the alum body where the tail caps screws into is very thin compared to regular mini mag.

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing it's the stock MagLED 3AA that got run over and you are trying to fit the LED module into a incan Minimag? I don't think it would work. The MinimagLED and the normal Minimag ahve a different body.

If you plan on using the module, even if it can't be used in the Minimag, now might be a good time to swap in a current gen LED(the Seoul P4 works best) for twice the outout with the same runtime.

As for the Maglite thing, I might be linked to in this thread.

:welcome:

Yes, I realize that the body styles are different, I figured I would try to do something with the led module since its only a week old and in perfect working condition. Any suggestions?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Yes, I realize that the body styles are different, I figured I would try to do something with the led module since its only a week old and in perfect working condition. Any suggestions?

Real shame the 3AA MiniMagLED got crushed like that. I bet Mag would replace it if you told the story ;)
So, the MM LED's uses thinner aluminum walls near the end threads? Wonder if the side walls are thinner too... probably are... to save metal and lower costs.

I would save the led module and use it on or with an already existing headlamp. That's all I can think of really...

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the MM LED's uses thinner aluminum walls near the end threads? Wonder if the side walls are thinner too...

The body has the same thickness as a regular mini-mag. The end is thin due to the threading. The parts are not interchangeable between the LED and the regular mini-mag.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solder a 3AA holder to the head contacts, attach the head on the front of a head strap, attach the holder to the back. Voila, you've got a headlamp. :D

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call Maglite warranty dept and see what they tell you. They may give you another body or sell you one real cheap.

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
Call Maglite warranty dept and see what they tell you. They may give you another body or sell you one real cheap.

i called maglite and they indicated that their warranty does not cover abuse :D which they consider this to be one.

Also I was unaware the thickness was the same on both led mini mag and regular minimag. But looking at tail cap with the naked eye it does seem that the Minimag led is thinner than my regular mag. Of course one would have to measure the true thickness of both of these flashlight, but if I was a betting man I would bet a months pay on it.

Solder a 3AA holder to the head contacts, attach the head on the front of a head strap, attach the holder to the back. Voila, you've got a headlamp. :D

Ok I'm totally lost here, the led module is longer by about a cm. I would have to drill out the mini mag in order for it to fit

Last edited by a moderator:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I was unaware the thickness was the same on both led mini mag and regular minimag. But looking at tail cap with the naked eye it does seem that the Minimag led is thinner than my regular mag. Of course one would have to measure the true thickness of both of these flashlight, but if I was a betting man I would bet a months pay on it.

The outside diameter of both the mini-mag and Magled is .710, the inside diameter, the smooth part where the rubber gasket fits is .650, both have the same thread 5/8-28 . The tailcaps are different in length and shape.

macguyver4u

Newly Enlightened
The outside diameter of both the mini-mag and Magled is .710, the inside diameter, the smooth part where the rubber gasket fits is .650, both have the same thread 5/8-28 . The tailcaps are different in length and shape.

I didn't measure it, so I'm not sure, but just from eye balling it the mag led seems to be thinner. the tail are not interchangable, its more than a thread pitch issue. Anyways has anyone taken a part the maglite led module ? or will I be the first :D

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't measure it, so I'm not sure, but just from eye balling it the mag led seems to be thinner. the tail are not interchangable, its more than a thread pitch issue. Anyways has anyone taken a part the maglite led module ? or will I be the first :D

I have measured both. I have done many cutdowns ( making a 2AA mini a 1AA mini ) The threading on both is the same, the tail caps will fit each body. The Led tailcap is longer, while they both will fit, they are not interchangeable.

The Led module can be worked on. There was a thread about 2 years ago detailing the mod.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144141&referrerid=4688

Last edited: