searching good tailcape switch for 2AA MiniMag

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my next Maglitemod I need a good and reliable tailcape switch for a 2AA ican MiniMag as I won't have the possibility to turn it on or off by turning the head. I know there are:

the Kroll tailcape switch
the Terralux tailcape switch
the Nite-Ize IQ Switch
the Nite-Ize tailcape switch

I tried the normale Nite-Ize switch and I wasn't really impressed. The switch cape was very shaky and I broke it trying to fix it. The Kroll doesn't look very reliable as it looks like it is made out of some kind of pastic. The IQ switch isn't a choice ether as the UI seems useless to me and I heard that the resistance of the switch is very high. So the only one left is the Terralux switch. Does anybody have experience with this one?

Or does anybody know another tailcape switch for a 2AA ican MiniMag?

PS: I know there was another thread about this but this one is two years ago and maybe there is a new switch now ;).

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I think I'll try the Kroll and the Terralux switch.

rayman

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have 2AA Mini-mags equipped with a handful of the regular Nite-Ize switches and one equipped with the TerraLux switch.

If you can live with a reverse-clickie, I'd recommend the TerraLux switch. The button is bigger than the Nite-Ize switch. Feels sturdier too. The switch on the Nite-Ize model feels a bit flimsy. However, none of the ones I own have ever failed me. One of my Nite-Ize switches is not a perfect fit when screwed down on the end of my silver Mini-mag. But it stills works as it is supposed to.

Other than being a reverse-clickie, what I don't like about the TerraLux switch is that it comes with a crappy lanyard attached to an even crappier split ring. Lanyard is too short. Taking off the lanyard and split ring causes a small scratch on the side of the tailcap. Other than that, it's a good switch.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK ... you have installed a 120 lumens sandwich or hotwire set up,
finned the head, ribbed the body and installed a very tasteful
crenelated bezel. You then install the Kroll tail switch.

Your fully custom Minimag looks as if it has grown a carbuncle now :( :p

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just installed the Terralux switch (along with the 140 lumen Cree drop-in) on my fathers mini-mag. Its a decent switch, its a little rounder and stiffer than I'd like but it seems reliable and firm.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
OK ... you have installed a 120 lumens sandwich or hotwire set up,
finned the head, ribbed the body and installed a very tasteful
crenelated bezel. You then install the Kroll tail switch.

Your fully custom Minimag looks as if it has grown a carbuncle now :( :p

Add the fact that if you run 1A through the switch you will end up with reduced runtime using an LED with a regulated constant current driver, and reduced output if you run an incan. Too much resistance even with a clean switch. Bimmerboy has been working on a mod for the Kroll to reduce resistance.

Bill

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bimmerboy has been working on a mod for the Kroll to reduce resistance.

Which has been successful insofar as reducing resistance... literally down to unmeasureable levels on my cheap DMM, same as touching the probes together. However, the operational and reliability problems with the first and third designs (which are similar) keep them firmly in "not ready for prime time" status. In fact, I got all excited a few months ago, thinking I finally had things solved, PM'd Bill for his address, and the thing quickly became unreliable, then broke.

The second approach is different, but was temporarily abandoned due to the time, effort, and precision required to even get halfway through using hand tools. I may have to get back to it as it may ultimately be the best way; that is if I can figure how to make contact to the inside of the light, and mount the battery spring... two fairly important aspects of a tailswitch... lol.

CPF member cfromc was gauging interest in a high-current capable MM tailswitch recently. Maybe we can pester him a bit to get on it. The interest among us is definitely there. I know I'd be willing to pay a healthy price for a quality piece so long as it's not completely insane.

cfromc

Enlightened
Theres gotta be a housing or something for a McClicky or something

Is the McClicky wider than the MM body? Even if it is, that might be OK as long as the switch body isn't too much wider. While I'd love to get something going in that direction I'm a little gun-shy with the MM mods right now.