what flashlight

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
Hey guy's I am looking for a new flashlight and am pretty well lost now :candle:
I first thought I would get the new q-5 d-mini then I was looking at the surefire lights, started at the g2led moved onto the 6p/6p w-malkoff now I am looking at the e2dled defender. I am really at a loss for what to buy. I want this light to be a edc used at the beach fishing (around/in salt water) for taking on hikes/camping, use around the house and in emergency situations there have been a few fires pretty close to home in the last week and if the need be to defend against fire at night I want to be able to depend on my light not to bug out on me.

I am thinking I'll buy a g2 as my first surefire light and save up for the e2dled after since 40$ is alot easyier for me right now then 160$ thoughts opinions. This is also going to be a incentive to quit smoking. I figure my money will be better spent on a nice flashlight then smokes. Thanks also any other lights you could reccomend? I wanted a surefire since I found cpf just never bought one so I figure now would be a good time to buy one :thumbsup:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The longer you search for a EDC light the more lights you'll find. I personally like searching the inet and CPF for hours when I'm looking for a new flashlight. Then I compare reviews and read experiences from other members and at the end I have the nearly perfect flashlight I was looking for at the beginning :huh:.

rayman

Toaster

Enlightened
Take a look at Jetbeam Jet-III M w/Q3-5A LED. One of the best all round lights imho. There is an excellent review of the light done here. Has great output and the available warm tinted Q3-5A LED is especially nice for outdoor use. The user defined mode is infinitely adjustable and capable of being set incredibly low for maximum versatility. It also can run on 18650 li-on rechargeable battery for extended runtime and guilt free operation. They are available here with code 'cpfjet' giving you a 10% discount.

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
Well, E2DL is a great light, but 150 bux is kinda hard to swallow, so there is a plethora of lights that will be a lot better than G2L, cause stock P60L pill is just waste of money. for 30 bux more look at:

Fenix TK10,TK11
EagleTac T10C2,T10L
And there plenty of light from JetBeam, Dereelight and such.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If you decide on that Surefire G2, go ahead and get the 6P instead, especially if you plan on upgrading the LED emitter. The metal body of the 6P will handle excess heat generated better than the G2. I made this mistake and fortuantely was able to return my G2 and replace it with the 6P.

carrot

Flashaholic
Who says the P60L is a waste of money? It does exactly what they claim and it works well. No, it is not as fancy as the Malkoffs, not as bright as the cheap DX dropins but it is reliable true to the SF brand. And at, what, $75 for the 6PL it is a pretty awesome light that can be upgraded time and time again whenever new things should come out as the C-size Surefires are extremely common.

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
I never argued against 6P or G2 itself, i in fact own 2 6P's, and it is on of the best platform that there is, my gripe is against P60L pill itself.

Gary123

Enlightened
For an EDC you want relatively compact. IMO a light that runs an 18650, 17670 or 2 x 123 is too large to EDC (except for my TnC SF). My preference is for a AA sized light, but 123 is OK though a bit fat. If you can do rechargeables this would be an 14500, and in the 123 width battery you got RCR123, or for more juice step up to an 18500, though there may be few or no commercial lights available that run 18500's.

If you don't do rechargeables, a bright light will generally eat alkalines, and somewhat the same for 123's.

A very nice EDC is the Nitecore Defender Infinity, but it eats alkaline's and does better on 14500's. There are a couple half decent chinese AA lights (Ultrafire and Romisen - maybe too large to EDC) and Romisen actually makes a fairly bright 1 x AA light, the RC G2 that you can get for $20 at shingbeam.

george9c1

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend getting the G2 for now, especially since you said that cost and reliability are chief issues. Surefire won't let you down. Then you can upgrade, first to your favorite Malkoff module, and then (my recommendation), a C2 Surefire hard anodized.

At that point you will have a top quality light with two standard lamp modules, and an led that be swapped between bodies, so that you can use the G2 for winter use (easier on the hands in the cold).

My recommendation for the Malkoff is the M60L or M60WL. Plenty bright, safe to use in the G2, and 4+ hours runtime.

GPB

Enlightened
I love surefires as much as anyone, but since you're talking about using your light around water, esp salt water, I'd look at the offerings from Underwater Kinetics, Pelican, or Princeton Tec. They make lights that are absolutely waterproof, have lanyards attached and some even float.

There is a big difference between "weatherproof" and "waterproof"

saabgoblin

Enlightened
If you decide on that Surefire G2, go ahead and get the 6P instead, especially if you plan on upgrading the LED emitter. The metal body of the 6P will handle excess heat generated better than the G2. I made this mistake and fortuantely was able to return my G2 and replace it with the 6P.

I totally agree with Yucca Patrol on this one and the 6P Incandescent or Led can be upgraded in numerous ways and configurations. I just recently aquired my first Surefires, both of which were used, and while at first the money put me off a little I have found that they are worth the investment because they don"t leave you wanting for more as many other lights have at least in my experience.

I also agree with GPB as well on the waterproof issues as well so that is were having different tools for different jobs comes into play. Some of the tasks that you have mentioned seem to call for a headlamp as well so that adds another wrinkle to the question as well.

Look on the Marketplace for a good deal or Ebay and I believe that spending your money on high quality is more frugal in the long run in most cases.

sappyg

Enlightened
hey mudmag,
you gotta take a hard look at the g2. your requiremants and environment are what the g2 was made for. it's affordable and tough. up front cost is low and you can upgrade it as needed. moreover, the p60 LA is custom made for you. this light will not leave hangin'.
the e2dl is worth saving for but if you need a good light right now go for the g2.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
Alright I bought a g2l with incan p60 la from cpf member cfromc should arrive next week :thumbsup: It's got the aluminum bezel so it should be good to go upgrading. I'll run it as is for now and get the malkoff m60w for it. I like the fact that the tint is closer to a incan lamp I don't really like the white tint from normal leds outdoors. I'll give a mini review once I get it.

Thanks for all the other suggestions I like the looks of the jetbeam jet3m looks like a fantastic torch just a bit much with the exchange right now for me :mad: I won't have a problem edc a 2 cell cr light I like the size seems just right to me. I have a fenix e01 for my keys anyways. I am used to carrying a 3d mag around with me while fishing or exploring. I usually run it on 4c cells with the kryton bulb but it went poof so I have the stock bulb in it now. How will the g2 compare to the mag in light output and throw? Thanks for all the help guy's i'll be sure to post up when I get it.

What would you guy's reccomend for a floody headlamp need's to be waterproof and run for around 8 hours? I'll buy it on the marketplace so older models will be included Thanks alot Dave :twothumbs

Last edited:

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
My new light arrived yesterday and I got back right as the sun was going down :twothumbs I tore open the package opened the box unwrapped the light and wow there is was my first surefire. Upon looking it over I was impressed with it's small size and feel the aluminum bezel makes it seem like this is not a toy. My mom made a comment on how small it is and asked me how much I replied about sixty dollars and she said thats alot for some little flashlight and pushed the switch while looking into the light wow thats bright she said obviously seeing stars as I was laughing at her. I headed outside with my 3d mag with magled dropin and my sf g2 in hand. Lighting up some trees in the back first with the mag then the g2. I must say this little light really impressed me :thumbsup: everything I pointed my mag at the g2 lit up plus it's surroundings. The mag throws a bit more but only lights up one spot of the object were the little g2 Lites up the same spot plus the rest of the tree. I'll post some more mayby include some pictures later on as I am going for a short hike tonight to try my lights out. Overall I am very impressed with this torch and can't wait to get a malkoff dropin and relly let it shine.

Speaking of the malkoff can somebody please point me to some beamshots comparing the stock p-60 the m-60/m60w and the m60wl? preferably some outdoor shot's. I am happy with this light though Now I am thinking about picking up a a2 aviator seem's like just the thing for general use :naughty:

Last edited: