Al headlamp for M60?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You know I would love to have an Aluminum headlamp that can take a Malkoff or similar LE and use a Surefire C bezel with enough mass to dissipate heat to the point of running an M60 without any worry.

A band around the head and a wide strap crossing the top of my head so it is really secure.

A watertight battery pack that holds 2 18650's and a good belt clip on it. A modded Pelican case could work!
OR
A watertight batterypack that holds 3 CR123's and fits on the headband.

Would this really be THAT hard to do? Would anyone else like to have one? Is this an untapped market? Am I being stupid because it's 2AM? Do you think people would whine and cry because of it's weight?

If you could make these how much would you charge for this host type headlamp?
Remember, the maker would not need to supply the bezel, any LE, or any batteries.

Last edited:

ambientmind

Enlightened
Re: Who here would take up the gauntlet?

I would take the challenge, except for the fact that I dont have any of the tools needed to make it! :mecry: I always wondered why more headlights and weaponlights dont take advantage of the ever expanding availability of P60 sized drop ins. Hmm...the world may never know. :thinking:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Well now that this have been moved to this area of CPF I might as well forget it.

I didn't want a one off, I wanted to see if there was a market for this sort of thing so I could try to get somebody interested in making many of these.

There is not enough traffic here to get anything meaningful started.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

You expect to get a lot of traffic between 2am and noon?
I was speaking about the "suprise" moving of the thread to an area that willl get very little traffic, not about how much traffic this thread got from 2A to noon.

:rolleyes:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting one with 2 mounts for C series bezels for ages. I'd have one led drop in (multilevel) with a FM34 diffuser and one with a high output incan (2-300 lumen) and have both running on 2-4 18650s in a single pack worn on the body. Both heads would have separate switching.

Shouldn't be too hard to make the mount and I could have switches on the wiring..

Sverre

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wave:
Hello all,
first post
I have been lurking/absorbing for a little while now.
I am currently working on a headlamp that I believe fits your description.

The design is based on a p-60 size drop in.

My lights will have decent thermal management.
I plan to be able to run 2 R2s at 1A+, outdoors, without heat problems

It needs to be waterproof and durable.

current prototypes include:
1x18650 on front of strap with 1 or 2 modules.

1x18650 on back with 1 or 2 modules

2x18650 on hip/belt battery pack with 2 modules

The single 18650/ single module(or 2xcr123) should be around 150g with cells.

2 cree R2s on your head are pretty bright!

I need to learn the electronics side a bit better before I can really make a great light.

I am a mechanical engineer and we manufacture parts in house. So I have most of the tools necessary to get these types of projects done.

I spend a fair amount of time camping, and this is what plan to use the light(s) for

Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I reread your request.
A host type setup could be possible.

That is something that I could release before my electronics are all figured out.

Sampolainen

Newly Enlightened
"Fits flashlights with 18-22mm outer diameter"

Not quite wide enough for the T-series... PD-series only :(

ahorton

Enlightened
Removed my own off-topic thread. I didn't quite grasp what Sgt. was looking for.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I reread your request.
A host type setup could be possible.

That is something that I could release before my electronics are all figured out.
Wonderful!

Keep us posted. A simple host headlamp would be affordable to many and with a flexible batterypack could run a TON of different things in it!

Last edited:

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
In another month or so I'm planning to go into small scale production (~500 units in the first run) of an aluminium headlamp.

I'm sort of bashnig around the aesthetic side of it in this thread.

After a few discussions with some mates in the last 2 days, I think it'll have lithium or 3*AA power options and be waterproof to 10m. The lithium option will probably be a single C-sized (25500) but this hasn't been decided yet.

As for cost, I'm hoping to sell the whole thing for AU$100 - AU$150 (which is US$70 - US$105 today). However I think I'll also offer to sell the aluminium parts to CPF members at a reduced cost. This would allow people to choose their own LEDs and driver as well as saving me some time putting the bits together.

Sounds great keep us posted!

Martin

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it may be too front heavy. The length of P60, and P60's front heavy design will make the center of gravity too much forward thus stability while moving around will be difficult to achieve.

Heatsinking would also be a concern like how SF is dealying their P61L, unless you make it specifically to fit the M60, but that wouldn't make sense economically.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
ahorton, your headlamp is going to be made of aluminum but is not what I am looking for.
Your headlamp sounds like the same approach of the Sgt. Burkett 18650 light. A great idea where you order the base and build/configure to your needs and I can see being excited and wanting to tell people about your headlamp I look forward to seeing where it goes. I wish it was P60 compatible but it isn't and I have to keep looking. Now if you are considering making a P60 host only version then let me know all about it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: