UVA Curing light

barouk

Newly Enlightened
can anyone recommend an inexpensive light for tacking UV glue by Norland or Dymax? prefer a light that emits 365 nm in the uva spectrum. thanks

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anything short of a mercury lamp will pump enough energy at those wavelengths.

barouk

Newly Enlightened
i have been using a 9 watt nail curing lamp but a little bulky to hold. how about the nischia 365 or the one Darkzero has been talking about? thanks

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a thread about curing Norland here. I haven't read it, so I don't know exactly how helpful it'll be, but I did read the title. :D

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart carries a fluorescent fixture and bulb (AC) for $10 and it's the right wavelength.

The 4AA cell fluorescent fixtures that use a 4 inch bulb that are very common, work well, too. You can usually find the bulb with the bug zapper replacements. They are the correct wavelength.

The other thread referred to has some good info. Someone commented that the Norland does not have inhibitors in it, so as long as it is exposed to UV, it will eventually cure.

I used Dymax resins almost 20 years ago when I started repairing windshields and those resins have inhibitors in them that stop the curing process to prevent yellowing of the resin longterm. With those resins, it is important that the initial cure is good and typically 5mm LEDs are not going to do the job. The resin can appear to be hard on the outside or to the touch, but not be properly cured.

barouk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks but have alot of florescent lights but was hoping to have a liteweight one that sets quick for handheld tacking. Then i use the florescent for finish cure. do you think any of these will work http://maxmax.com/aUVLedLights.htm? Thanks again