McLux vs LSH-P (Beamshot)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Today, I received my NX05 optics for my McLux. Once I cut that little tab off the NX05, that baby popped right in there. I'll comment on the NX05 vs McFlood in a different thread.

Ok, here we go. I took my brightest McLux with the NX05 installed and compared it to my brightest LSH-P. This beamshot is from ~3 feet from a white sliding door. The LSH is on the left and the McLux is on the right.

CIMG0108.JPG

This picture is pretty true-to-form, meaning the tints you see in the picture are close to reality. I also performed a quick metering test on both of these lights. Both had a new SureFire 123-cell in them and register 3.26 volts at the start. The metering was done prior to the beamshot comparision.

At 3 inches away, the LSH-P registered 7,080 lux. At that same distance, the McLux with the NS05 optics registered 8,500 lux. This makes sense, since the McLux is driving the LED a tad harder. Also, don't forget you pay for this brightness in runtime. This particular McLux get around 1.5 hours of strong light, whereas the LSH gets just over 2 hours.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice beamshots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Can't wait to see your comments on the McFlood vs NX05.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
mst3k said:
Hey Nascar, just curious. What method did you use to remove the little tab??

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard is it to remove the tab? Any words of advice or things to be aware of? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Is your McLux regulated? Can NX05 be used in other lights that currently use NX02? Too large for Minimag? I am unfamiliar with McLux lights. Duh!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimag will accept an NX05 without any problems...
That darn X-box... I can't wait to try out the Fraen...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I probably could have done a better job in removing the tab. I used a small pair of wire-cutters to clip it away. I couldn't find a singled-edge razor blade. That probably would have yeilded better results.

Yes, the McLux is regulated. I don't know what applications the NX05 can be used in. I'm learning as I go along.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just use fine grit sandpaper to sand it away, and then use 1500 grit ultra-fine to buff it down...

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a small file. You want to be careful not to scratch the surface of the optic any more than necessary. In my McLux DIY, there is a small artifact in the beam from the tab remnant, but it's only noticable if you're really looking for it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I get confused with NXX01, NX05, etc. That is why I asked question. Thanks for response FalconFX.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob Bill...
An NX01 is the orginal collimators that Arc used for their first run LSs... Since then, they've become legendary because they aren't used anymore, aren't sold or made anymore, and I still love the beam of my first run Arc-LS. The NX05 is a wider-beamed collimator of the 01, and it's a little better at concentrating more light into the middle to form a little brighter hotspot. Both collimators are similar in size and look, although the NX01 is a tad thinner at the lip. And both will fit the McLux, the Minimag, or the Brinkmann 2AA...

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to tell. Both beams with the 01 and 05 have the X-box like feature to the beam. So I doubt it'll make much of a difference. Personally, I prefer the NX05 with a wider beam and a hotter hotspot for the HD, because the brighter hotspot would result in a longer throw. The NX01 has a smaller, more dispersed hotspot, so it magnifies the x-box shadow of the beam more...

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Where did you get the DIY? I didn't think they were released yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the TK sign-up closed (which I somehow managed to miss), dat2zip put some extra parts up for grabs. I got enough parts to build a complete kit. The great part is that I actually got my McLux assembled before the TKs got sent out, so for once, missing an opportunity actually worked out to my advantage.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
More DIY parts will be here shortly. They should be appearing for sale shortly. Best guess. Next week sometime. All EN. No black this time.

Wayne