Opinions on a close range, flood-type light?

sph3ric_pyramid

Newly Enlightened
First off...

Hi, all. Living in Osaka, Japan as noted in the profile, first found that I needed a good knife and a good light when building and setting off various creations (pyrotechnics as a hobby). I spend most of my time at bladeforums, but I caught a reference to LED lights somewhere along the line, and ended up here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll be buying an Arc AAA or CMG Infinity Ultra to replace the Led Lenser V1 Moon on the keychain, so that'll be covered (light that's most used).

So far, I have a SF 6P on the way to me (thanks chamenos) for the times I'll need the throw. I don't intend to use it very often, as I require a close range, flood-type light for most of my uses (along with the consideration of maintenance costs; should mention that I'm your typical poor student).

And so I'm looking for a close range, flood-type LED light that'll be easily pocketable and preferably runs on AA batts, something that'll allow me to take a walk and see the road in the presence of some ambient light.

This'll be the light that travels in my pocket everywhere, so hopefully it'll be lightweight (6P goes in the bag along with a halogen bike-light, keychain light hangs on carbiner off belt-loop). Also, cost will have to be around $50 at most.

Hopefully you knowledgable people can help me spend some money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

robk

Enlightened
Take a look at the Streamlight 4AA - 7 LED. Nice brightness, wide flood, good runtime. I prefer this light when working on computers under desks in semi-darkness, as it doesn't have a pronounced hot spot like some of my others. I gave one to my father in law who works on cars, he loves it.
Rob

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to use a MadMax or BadBoy sandwich from dat2zip, installed with a McFlood reflector (also from dat2zip's site) in a MiniMag light. Regulated output, AA batteries, and good flood pattern. A Kroll clickie tailcap switch is a nice feeature also. Total will be around $50.00US, but shipping may be a few dollars more. Don't forget there are LOTS of accessories for the Mags, too.

BrianC

Newly Enlightened
I second the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED. It's a great light for close range work and day to day duties.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also look into an Opalec NewBeam... 10 hours regulated runtime, and a wide focus with enough of a hotspot when you need it.

I would also second a BadBoy 400, but without the optics or a reflector, even. The McFlood is fine, but if you want an ultra-flood, you can just leave the head bezel off and have a bare LS out... Nice wide near-360 degree flood at close range.

Brock

Flashaholic
Depending on size I would go with either the Opalec or Streamlight. The Streamlight is a bit larger and brighter, but the Opalec is smaller and regulated. If you use rechargeable I would take the Opalec. I guess I would choose the Opalec for pocket ability reasons and I use NiMH's all the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And you probably already ahve a Mag 2AA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have thought the CMG Ultra-G would fulfill that need.
(I personally prefer the Ultra-G over the plain Ultra - and consider the G to the plain Ultra - analogous as the ArcAAA LE to the plain ArcAAA)

At least for me - if it's too dark to walk safely - then the CMG Ultra-G (that I EDC) is plenty bright enough to walk by.

In normal urban conditions (typical big city in USA) - which is bright enough that almost everyone (excluding Flashaholics) can and do walk/run safely without any additonal lights. So a flashlight is supplemental to light up areas in the shadows - again the Ultra-G seems bright enough - for me.

Often I find in a dark environment that the Ultra-G is a bit too bright to read by (white paper) so I use my EDC yellow Photon instead.

So you might try to exist on the Ultra(-G?) for awhile to see if it's adequate for your usage. This might have saved you some money......

BigMac

Enlightened
I also love my Ultra-G. I carry it with me all the time, if I think I might be in the dark or not. This may seem a bit weird, but I have found that if I get a clear marble about the right size and tape it to the front, it throws light out in all directions.

_Zion_

Newly Enlightened
i like the Pal-light workman without is original lens(replace by mag AA),perfertly round large beam,same brighness as the Ultra,but without hot spot.
i apreciate the pal for naviguation in home at night,for read and other close range task.
easy to use,small,and cheap to feed.very solid.

max.