I'd Like To Make A P60/D26 Size Drop-in. How?

GreyShark

Enlightened
I want a single mode drop in for my 6P that runs at about 20 lumens for an extremely long time but as far as I can tell it doesn't exist. Looking at the drop ins I do have they seem to be made from standard parts of some kind... a reflector body, a little round thingy that screws into the base of the reflector, etc. I get the impression that these components are individually available to be assembled into whatever configuration you want from some of the stuff I read on CPF but I don't really understand all the lingo and I'm not familiar with the sources for the parts so I don't really know where to begin. If anybody could provide a link to a walkthrough/overview of this kind of thing or explain the basics to me it would be much appreciated.

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
If you go to dealextreme they sell P60 dropins with variable mode this is one I am getting on order now, it is variable brightness 0 to 100% and uses PWM so there could be some strobe like effects but for $11.39 you can't beat it.
here is the link
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17593
never mind what it says about 3 modes , it is a one mode which has variable brightness by using the on/off switch, read the reviews at the site.

GreyShark

Enlightened
That DX module is my official backup plan. :D

I was actually talking to my wife about this last night. She was a comp sci major and says she knows something about resistors and circuits, all that good stuff. I'm going to have her look at a driver and see if she can figure out a way to make me one that'll do what I want.

Whichever way I end up going the basic idea is I can keep the super bright drop in I have for the 6P as the main LA but keep the low output as the spare in my SC1 carrier. That way if I go on a trip somewhere and find I don't need as much light but need it for a long time I can just make the swap. From what I've read on the DX unit an SC1 should be able to keep it running on its lowest setting for a month or more straight. I'm just a little unclear on what the output is like. For the price I may as well just pick one up and try it out even if I still intend to make my own. I'll most likely be ordering the reflector for DX anyway.

steveG

Enlightened
I've been wanting to do the same to a drop-on for my 6PL. I have a DX 6090 drop-in and thought I might be able to disassemble it and add a resistor.

Is this plausible?