Where to get GITD powder/glue?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some GITD powder to mix with glue, or ready-made GITD glue, but I can't find any. I've looked in all stores that sell colours and stationery in my city, and not one of them has it. Closest thing I found was a super-tiny can of GITD make-up that was horrendously expensive, and unsuitable anyway.

Where could I get this online (with cheap shipping to Italy)? I've had a look at eBay but nothing...

Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
try contacting the members in CPFM that sell glow in the dark fobs and keychain stuff and asking them if they would sell you some powder

greenLED

Flashaholic
Those guys all use powder from glowinc.com

The powder is OK for airmail shipping, so you should be OK getting it sent to IT.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
they also have glow paint in water base and an oil exterior style that works pretty good. It is a little course but light up well.

Dave

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are different grades of GITD powder. I bought some locally that glows nicely for about two hours but goes dark after that. I should have bought some of that 12 hour stuff and saved myself some money. The stuff I bought was $16 for one ounce.

madi05

Enlightened
glow inc. powder goes dimm really fast imo,, the best is superluminova that i use for watches ,, it is made in switzerland but it is the best i have used,,

madi05

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I get mine from Readysetglo.

I purchased ultra geen V10 from GlowInc, although it glows brighter, I hated the results in the applications I use them in & sold it the next day. I also purchased ultra green glow paint from them as well & I'm also disappointed with the stuff. I'm sure there other products may be great but I won't be buying these ever again.

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
there are several UK sources for this stuff, but I've no idea how good they are.

where can you get superluminova from? a quick google reveals no stores....

Bret

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The new v20 powder is coarser than their v8 & v9, so the surface looks rough once the epoxy sets. For a smooth finish, use the finer size grain.

Migs is exactly right. :thumbsup: GlowInc does sell the V10 in smaller particle size but it's expensive. Smaller grains don't glow as bright & I'm not sure it would be worth the cost compared to the standard ultra green. I'll just stick with what I've been using for years.

Here's an example of the paint:
Img_7792.jpg

This is after 5 coats. Perhaps it might have helped if the surface was white but I still think you would be able to see the grains instead of a smooth glow. I wonder what applications the paints can be used for? I tried making my own paint years ago & the results were better than this.

greenLED

Flashaholic
This is after 5 coats.
Oh, my... five coats and that's all you got? Are you sure the paint you have is fresh? How thick were the coats?

When I use paint, I place drops of paint on the surface, using a toothpick. Let the "blob" of paint dry, and then add more where I see the glow is lacking. It doesn't make for the preeeetiest finish (definitely not up to darkzero standards!), but it works well in the glow department.

I used paint almost exclusively for mods behind optics, where the rough surface can't be seen (but the glow shows through). Plus, I feel the paint's adherence compared to the epoxy+GID mix we use is not as good, so putting the paint behind the optic is another way of protecting the finish.

The main use I have for paint (water-based) right now is for painting star fields on ceilings. You load a syringe with GID paint and push a small drop out of the syringe and touch the ceiling with that. A little "dome" of GID paint sticks to the ceiling. With practice you can make domes of different sizes that mimic stars of different glows. It's pretty fun - my younger kid absolutely loves it, plus his whole room sort of glows all night.

I don't feel the difference in glow is significant between the v9 and v10 powders. v8 is a little dimmer, but still has worked well for my needs.

Hope that helps a little.