6PL Actual Lumens

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've searched for an answer using as many different word combinations and looked in all of the reviews.

I find it VERY hard to believe only 80 lumens is coming out of this light.

Has anyone performed a test to see if they come up with a different number? If so please direct me towards it or just tell me :)

If not, can anyone arrange for the test to be done? I'm sure I'm not the only one curious.

I know the E2DL is way under-rated, I'm almost certain other SF lights are too.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 is probably correct. Compared to a 60Lu incan stock 6P, there isn't a lot of difference in luminous intensity, which is understandable as the eyeball can't differentiate very well the 20Lu difference.

-dan

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 is probably correct. Compared to a 60Lu incan stock 6P, there isn't a lot of difference in luminous intensity, which is understandable as the eyeball can't differentiate very well the 20Lu difference.

-dan

It's just odd that my PD30 (225 lumens) doesn't seem much brighter. Then again, it broke 5 or 6 days ago and I can't do a test until it comes back.

zven

Enlightened
I do seem to recall seeing a test of the P60L output, and I'm pretty sure I saw it in the CPF Reviews section, but I can't remember the title of the thread, the author, the date, etc. If at some point it comes to mind, I'll post it, but no promises.

Anyway, from what I remember, the review included the P60L in a 6P body and a G2 body, and confirmed what SureFire have told us about the module. That is, in the aluminum light, it puts out about 80 lumens for a few hours (3.5 maybe) and then continues at "useful" output for a total of 11 or so hours of total runtime. In the G2, it started at 80 lumens, but thermal regulation quickly brought it to 65, where it continued for like 4+ hours, then the lower "useful" output for a total of 12 hours or so.

I guess the point here is that the test supported the advertised lumens (i.e., 80 in an aluminum body) as measured by SureFire standards. So in Fenix or NiteCore or whoever else's lumens, that's probably more like in the 120-150 range (and the E2DL's 120 lumens would then translate to something like 200-230).

Mind you these are subjective approximations, but we do know for sure the different companies rate their lumens differently. As for my personal experience, I'd have to say that my P60L in a G2 body (65 SureFire lumens) is a bit brighter than my NiteCore D10 on high (130 NiteCore lumens).

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Mr.Gman's Integrated Sphere output thread, he tested and found the SureFire 6PLED to be 82 lumen while running 2xCR123.

That's what I was looking for, I just didn't notice that thread.

I'm a little disappointed my PD30 isn't quit 225 lumens. I'll make sure to tell people when I refer it to them.

I'll be waiting for the newer lights to be tested. It does seem that when people talk about Fenix the PD30 seems to always be left out.

balou

Enlightened
1. Surefire always states out-of-the-front lumens. Others state lumens directly at the LED, without considering losses in the reflector and front lens
2. As already said, you may not notice a big difference between 82 and say 180 lumens, due to logarithmic brightness perception. Have you tested it just by shining it at a white wall, or have you done some outdoor throw tests? That might make a difference too. Also, you stated that you last tested your Fenix 6 days ago. I dunno if you objectively remember brightness after such a long time.
3. The hotspot may be equally bright on the two lights, while the Fenix has brighter spill. Lumens is total light output, so a floody light like the Zebralight will be perceived less bright than a spotlight with the same lumens.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I find it VERY hard to believe only 80 lumens is coming out of this light.
If you find that hard to believe, try believing their claimed runtimes on your P60L module ...:rant:

What the other posters have said is good stuff, I only want to add that I've white-walled the P60L next to a Malkoff M60L and there's no comparison: Better output, better throw, better tint, better runtime. Once you get a Malkoff you'll never want to go back...;)

Last edited:

rockz4532

Enlightened
im pretty sure 82 to 225 lumens is a clear difference. either you dont remember correctly, or fenix seriously overrates their lumens, or your PD30 has a bug. im hoping choice three.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP sent the Fenix back for repair/replacement, we will have to wait and see when it comes back if he now notices the true difference.

The silly question was did he have the front end turned to the fully tightened position to get it into Turbo mode or was that the actual problem, that it wouldn't go into it. As many members have stated in the past, to take the light apart, clean off the threads, work them back and forth a little and then magically they get full power from the lights.

I can most definitely state that a SF 6P LED unit is in now way even close to the output of the Fenix T1 the Malkoff M60 and numerous other lights I have tested. Its a very mediocre light when compared directly to these others. Its strength is in its much longer run time.

Report back when you have the returned Fenix PD30.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6PL has a much larger reflector, so with less lumens it will still produce a pretty intense hot spot. The PD30 has a smaller reflector and will produce a larger hot spot at similar, or possibly less, intensity.

To really see what is going on try a ceiling bounce test. Look at the floor as you point each light at the ceiling and see which lights up the floor brighter, and by how much.

Once you get your PD30 back of course. :)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
To MrGman :) I laughed. It was a friendly laugh. It was on Turbo mode. I might not have many posts but I've had plenty of reading time and quite a bit of common sense :)

I can notice a difference, yes. I can't however, notice a difference that supports the different output.

As zven said, I'm going with the theory that Fenix used LED output instead of real, actual output.

As I was posting the thread I knew it was stupid to try to compare without both lights, I was just curious if the PD30 had been tested for a "CPF Certified Output" ( < I like that).

I'll post my finding if/when Fenix decides my light is a candidate for warranty-replacement.

Edit* I am debating whether or not to buy 3 6P's and return my 6PL (or maybe keep it and buy 3 6P's) because I really want a Malkoff M60, M60W, and M60L. I just can't pick just one haha.

**As a side not, and without intention of changing topic, I have to say that the actual output of the EagleTac T10C2 was very impressive. It's on my buy list after the E2DL and a DBS. Only for ships and giggles though.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
To MrGman :) I laughed. It was a friendly laugh. It was on Turbo mode. I might not have many posts but I've had plenty of reading time and quite a bit of common sense :)

I can notice a difference, yes. I can't however, notice a difference that supports the different output.

As zven said, I'm going with the theory that Fenix used LED output instead of real, actual output.

As I was posting the thread I knew it was stupid to try to compare without both lights, I was just curious if the PD30 had been tested for a "CPF Certified Output" ( < I like that).

I'll post my finding if/when Fenix decides my light is a candidate for warranty-replacement.

Edit* I am debating whether or not to buy 3 6P's and return my 6PL (or maybe keep it and buy 3 6P's) because I really want a Malkoff M60, M60W, and M60L. I just can't pick just one haha.

**As a side not, and without intention of changing topic, I have to say that the actual output of the EagleTac T10C2 was very impressive. It's on my buy list after the E2DL and a DBS. Only for ships and giggles though.

That's why it was the "silly" question. Unless you need the specific beam pattern of the E2DL I would get the Eagletac first. I hear they have a new head coming up with more throw to the beam pattern. Some one posted a link to it on my thread about lumens, here it is
again. Since its already posted, shouldn't be a problem
its about the technical details not a place to sell the light

http://light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=312

I would certainly wait for this to come out.

I also have every confidence that the PD30 (if working properly) puts out very close to its stated lumens and not something well below that.

In the meantime you may want to consider a couple of Solarforce hosts. Most of it is mix and matchable with a 6P. I have been doing it for a while. And there's lot of low cost accessories for them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why it was the "silly" question. Unless you need the specific beam pattern of the E2DL I would get the Eagletac first. I hear they have a new head coming up with more throw to the beam pattern. Some one posted a link to it on my thread about lumens, here it is
again. Since its already posted, shouldn't be a problem
its about the technical details not a place to sell the light

http://light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=312

I would certainly wait for this to come out.

I also have every confidence that the PD30 (if working properly) puts out very close to its stated lumens and not something well below that.

In the meantime you may want to consider a couple of Solarforce hosts. Most of it is mix and matchable with a 6P. I have been doing it for a while. And there's lot of low cost accessories for them.

Yea good point, I didn't think about using a cheaper host. I just need to make up my mind on which I want, but I'm not going into that. Another time and place.

Maybe I've just forgotten, or if I get a new one it will work better. No telling really.

I'm probably just going to buy the E2DL and EagleTac at the same time. It blew me away at how cheap it was.

But before this thread goes anymore off topic, I'll update it when/if I get a PD30.

Thanks for the info.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a graph of output-vs-runtime for the 6PL and G3L in the 2008 Surefire Illumination Tools catalog.

There's a big dip up front as the LED warms up - were you comparing it while the die was hot?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a graph of output-vs-runtime for the 6PL and G3L in the 2008 Surefire Illumination Tools catalog.

There's a big dip up front as the LED warms up - were you comparing it while the die was hot?

No the 6PL is only 3 days old now. I only use them for maybe 5 - 10 seconds at a time, maybe more, but once I see what's going on I usually flick off until I need it again (it was hard getting over the initial flashaholic disorder where when you see a show you try to duplicate the sun.). It has only been hot when I left it in my pocket.

This has all been a comparison by memory, my PD30 is at Fenix-Store right now for warranty. I just wanted to know if SureFire under-rated the light.

However, as a side note. When I first lit the light up it was cool tinted. Not a real noticeable bluish tint. Barely noticeable really. After 2 days of casual use, the light has pretty much turned completely white tinted. Even more odd that it now has what looks like cree rings and a slight yellow (VERY minute yellow) tint just outside of the "cree" rings.

I think the light fairy did some sort of swap.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update*

I was way off. The PD30 seems to have a tighter beam and more spill than the 6PL. I guess I had just forgotten how bright it was. 6PL did have a nice white light IMO though.

Last edited:

madi05

Enlightened
HI, well i finally got my very first surfire , it is a 6pled model and i think it is the bomb ,, meaning i like it alot ,, i agree with what most said, i was almost scared to get it because i read u should get the dropins insted which i ordered me a deerlight with the high,med, low only becasue i feel there is no need for this to be just used for bright,, being i can use it all around the house with multi output,

at any rate i feel it is very bright as to compared to the jetbeam M ,, i feel the jetbeam may be to the eye just maybe a hair brighter but if both companies rated there lumens the same they would be very clost to one another for sure

now i no what peoople mean about surefire ,, they are great and feel good in the hand ,, dont know if i like this type tailcap ,, im used to the twisty , lol

madi05

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI, well i finally got my very first surfire , it is a 6pled model and i think it is the bomb ,, meaning i like it alot ,, i agree with what most said, i was almost scared to get it because i read u should get the dropins insted which i ordered me a deerlight with the high,med, low only becasue i feel there is no need for this to be just used for bright,, being i can use it all around the house with multi output,

at any rate i feel it is very bright as to compared to the jetbeam M ,, i feel the jetbeam may be to the eye just maybe a hair brighter but if both companies rated there lumens the same they would be very clost to one another for sure

now i no what peoople mean about surefire ,, they are great and feel good in the hand ,, dont know if i like this type tailcap ,, im used to the twisty , lol

madi05

Feels like a tank. The "twist" tail-cap grows on you. You might never ..like it but you will use the light and not think about it.