please help me; maglite mod 4D

651bobby

Newly Enlightened
hi

i have a maglite 4D the older incandesant version, and as more modern lamps with cree and lux L.E.D.s are coming about my old maglite is looking a tad under powered, especially considering the Size and the batteries it drinks through.

i was wondering whether there was some basic mods i could do to significantly improve my mag.

any help would be greatly appreichated.

thanks

paulvw

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

You have several options , but for starters i would say build a ROP

for that you would need
6x sub-c batteries
a pack of Pelican bulbs for the 3854 hi bulb
1 glass lens
1 metal reflector
and if you dont have it already a charger capable of charging the sub-c cells as a pack.

in fact your almost done then, just swap the parts.
but you should make a "stick" of the loose
sub-c cells , or let someone do it for you , or order a ready made pack from www.cheapbatterypacks.com

to me this soulds like a good start, but maybe you get some more tips

good luck and have fun modding yr mag

paul

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would start by reading this thread.

You need to give a lot more information about what you are trying to achieve with your old 4D: More light? Longer run times? Flood beam? Tight spot beam? Budget?

What are you willing/capable of doing?

One of the simplest mods you can do that will increase run times will be to buy a MagLED drop-in module for your light. I'm not sure if it will improve the brightness aspect of your old light but it will certainly improve the run times. I put the dead batteries from my incandescent 2D MagLite into my 2D MagLED and it runs twice as long as the same batteries did in my incandescent light. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can upgrade the LED emitter to a SSC P4 and get a lot more light out of the same module without hurting run times.