Fenix LD 10 for firefighter use?

fireguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm really getting the feeling that I need to stay away from CPF. :poke: First I find out about the C9000 and buy one, then I hear about these Eneloops, and buy some, now I've discovered better flashlights. :crackup:

I've done a little bit of research here, enough to learn I know nothing about flashlights. I've been using a $3 LED light that takes 3 AAA batteries. It worked ok, or so I thought. Now I'm looking for something more serious. I don't want it for use in a fire situation as we have lights for that, but I do want a personal one for various other uses. Here's my list of wants/want nots:

AA NiMH capable preferred - I really don't want to use primary cells and I'm not keen on buying lithium rechargeables and another charger at this point.

Small enough to fit on my belt or in my pocket, but not so small that it's too small to use. ie - an AAA light that fits on a keychain is too small.

I want to be able to use it for general purposes - medical calls (wide light), providing light for paramedics putting in an IV, looking under a vehicle at an accident, walking through a dark basement, etc.

Run time really isn't too much of an issue. I can carry spare batteries and recharging them is easy. A couple of hours run time would be fine.

I found the Fenix LD 10 and it looks pretty nice. A single AA cell means the flashlight is small, but not too small. I believe it's around 4". The thought of being able to pop it on my bike using the Fenix bike mount is also appealing to me.

There is a store in Toronto that hasit for $68 Canadian and the traffic wand for an additional $7. The wand would be handy at accidents. Does anyone have any experience with the traffic wand?

I'm not sure what else is out there - I know there are millions of different flashlights. Any thoughts, suggestions? I'd really like to keep this under $100.

jankj

Enlightened
I found the Fenix LD 10 and it looks pretty nice. A single AA cell means the flashlight is small, but not too small. I believe it's around 4". The thought of being able to pop it on my bike using the Fenix bike mount is also appealing to me.

I've got the previous model (LD 1 CE) as well as the 2AA (ld2ce), and love them!

For bike light - deepends on your needs. I'd say its bigger brother (2AA) is a better candidate for bike lights (stronger light + better runtime). But I haven't tried the LD10, so I shall not say it won't work. In general, you just can't have too much ligth for bicycling - but a fenix at high/turbo may be good enogh for a lot of us. (There isn't really enough juice in 1*AA to make much of a difference between those two).

I also recommend having a "bee seen" blinking light on your bicycle, one that is visible from the side, not only the front. I think the fenix beam is too narrow for "bee seen" use. This also saves a lot of batteries for the times when there isn't enough ambient light to see where you are going.

And - I really recommend sanoy eneloop! They really made a huge difference compared to the other ordinary NiMH I had. In particular if you're depending on the LD10 at high/turbo as a bike light - then you need the best possible performance from the battery.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I have the LD10, and it's a great all-around light! My only complaint is that it didn't fit the supplied holster that well. So I got a P1D holster and it fits very nicely now.

coppertrail

Enlightened
Hi Fireguy -

Yes, the fact that you're now inquiring about lights after all your posts in the Battery thread is a bad sign ;) I hate to tell you, but it only goes downhill from here.

You'll get the LD10 and then decide that an 80 Lumens AAA light would be perfect for a pocket carry, and you'll find the LD01 in your check out cart. Next thing you know, you'll own 15 different lights and have a reason to use each of them. Then the new models will come out . . . and so on.

I own the L1D CE and just received the LD20, and I'm amazed at the difference even from the LD2 CE Q5 in terms of beam and color. I'm sure the LD10 is the same in terms of beam, color, and brightness, albeit lower overall lumens and a smaller form factor.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the LD20 or LD10, depends on the form factor and lumens you want. But I can tell you from experience, the LD20 won't disappoint . . .

fireguy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you jankj, EXCALIBUR1, swrdply400mrelay and coppertrail!

Hi Fireguy -

Yes, the fact that you're now inquiring about lights after all your posts in the Battery thread is a bad sign ;) I hate to tell you, but it only goes downhill from here.

You'll get the LD10 and then decide that an 80 Lumens AAA light ...

:sick2: That's not what I wanted to hear. I guess if I learn what a lumen isit will only make the matter worse?

I'll consider the LD 20 vs LD 10 and see what one would be best.

I have a 5-LED light on my bike right now. My commute in the dark is in the city so that light has been ok so far. If I put in on blink mode for a "be seen" light and the LD x0 for a "see" mode, it will probably suit me pretty well. My tires have reflective striping on them which, IMHO, works very well. For the back I have a Planet Bike Super Flash. That is a great tail light!

:banned: <- Is this my only hope?

coppertrail

Enlightened
We're traveling down similar paths. For me, I came across CPF based on the Battery information as I started using NiMH cells in my Digicams. Then I discovered the flashlight forums . . .

But in all seriousness, I really like what Fenix has done with the LD20 compared to the L2D. I'm using Lithium primaries in the light now and its very bright.

Lumens is just a measurement of how much light it puts out, the more lumens, the brighter it is.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1D/LD10 ... single AA cell ... too much tradeoffs!
not bright, no runtime, not really small

small light: Fenix E01
"larger": 2 AA powered
best light in that size: running on one 18650 Li-Ion cell
(thats what I use for mtb-night trail riding)

Archie Cruz

Banned
LD10 is a great light. I tinted the lens of mine with a Salmon Sharpie (I hate neutral/cold beams) I use it for everything up to 20' away.I absolutely love the two mode settings and use them both a lot. Mainly stay on Mode 1 and only jump to Mode two when crossing a certain street at night- flashing oncoming cars with the strobe! You'll love it and Sharpie Salmon is your friend.

Egsise

Banned
I have a Fenix LD10 + white diffuser and red filter. (headband would sure be nice too!)

It was a compromise between size, runtime and versatility.

Small, fits any pocket, i carry mine in a holster beside my leatherman multitool.
Runtime, ~20 hours on low is nice if you can't get no replacement batteries.
Nice as a nightlight when you attach the red filter and use ceiling bounce.
Nice reading etc. light for blackouts or camping when you attach the white diffures on it, even the lowest setting is enough for reading.
Decent/average throw with turbo mode.
In a case of disaster, i guess AA format alkalines are still quite easy to get, or easy to find AA carcharger and some nimh's.
Anti-roll, like a hands free set on mobile phones.

It was hard to choose between LD10 and LD20, but then i thought....what a heck, i'll buy LD10 and if i want more lumens and throw i'll buy Fenix TK20.
For backup or something. :laughing:

My LD10 runtime tests.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I usually buy from 4sevens, but the bad Canadian dollar makes it expensive. I've also used Fenix tactical who are based in Canada (east coast somewhere) and they have been pretty good to me as well.

What you could also do is buy an LD10 and the 2AA battery tube. The LD10 and LD20 share the same head so your LD10 can easily be converted to a LD20 to give you the brighter turbo and longer runtimes. If you do that you could also get the battery caps, so that your spare tube becomes a waterproof battery holder.... (yeah I know it never stops)

The nitecore D10 and D20 are also viable alternatives.

Egsise

Banned
Oh yeah, one thing that i forgot to mention about fenix, the user interface is idiot proof.(in case u have to lend your fenix to one.)

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I have a LD10 but I can't find a LD20 body for 2AA use at 4sevens. I would buy one if they offered it.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I have a L2D and never thought to try it. You are right. I just swapped the heads and they both work!
Thanks for the tip.

fireguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm now considering the LD20 for extra power, a bit longer run time and the larger size might be a benefit. In the following thread (msg #15)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2661554

the comparison of the LD 10 and LD 20 is pretty amazing. The LD 20 has a very dark halo around it. I've also read that the LD 10 and LD 20 use the same head, so I would think they should be identical, with the LD 20 showing up brighter. I'm thinking that the LD 20 used in that photo had a problem?

Evil Homer

Newly Enlightened
I just got the LD20 from 4 sevens, and am very happy with the brightness and tint. The beam shape is not the best I've seen, but It's far from the worst, and the fact that it's not a perfectly perportioned beam doesn't detract from its usefulness. I bought the LD20 with the plan of using its 2 cell body tube for a bike light coupled with a L1T v2.0 head, (leatherman lgx200 costco special:thumbsup:) effectively turning it into the L2T v2.0. This left the 1aa body tube for my new LD20 head, making it a LD10/leatherman mongrel... But it's a great light! It has great throw and overall brightness. It smokes my other 2 L1T v2.0's, and my D10 Q5, it gives my Olight Infinitum a definate run for its money... on 1 aa rechargeable! The levels are well spaced and useful, although "low" is brighter than my D10 for instance, but still pretty dim. The new LD/PD series of lights is an improvement on the older L1/L2/P2 if for no other reason than the anti-roll shoulder on the head. I just love the modular nature of the Fenix L/LD/P/PD series, easy to mix and match, and within the same body color, the finished product looks totally "factory". In short, I don't see why this light or any from this series wouldn't be an excellent choice for a Fireman, or anyone for that matter.

Egsise

Banned
I'm now considering the LD20 for extra power, a bit longer run time and the larger size might be a benefit. In the following thread (msg #15)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2661554

the comparison of the LD 10 and LD 20 is pretty amazing. The LD 20 has a very dark halo around it. I've also read that the LD 10 and LD 20 use the same head, so I would think they should be identical, with the LD 20 showing up brighter. I'm thinking that the LD 20 used in that photo had a problem?

You mean the output?
In that comparison the LD10 used 1x Li-Ion 14500, and LD20 used 2xNi-MH, thats why the LD10 output is the same as with the LD20.