Olight M20 Q5 vs R2

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight M20 Warrior with the Q5 LED and I run it on an 18650. I have noticed that it it not any brighter on high mode with an 18650 than it is on medium. I see no discernable difference. It is brighter on high with CR123A's but not with an 18650. Does anyone have both of these lights? Is the R2 version brighter on high with an 18650 than it is on medium? This one of my favorite lights but my only complaint is the lack of a good bright high mode with an 18650. If the R2 is noticeably brighter on high than on medium with an 18650 then I will probably get one of these to supplement my Q5.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Sounds defective. Or your battery may be dying?

There really should be a difference between medium and high modes.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I agree there should be a difference between the two modes,if the high is the same as the med. then your definatly not getting the full output potential.

Check the voltage of the battery with a multimeter, and clean all the contact points including the batteries and relube the threads.
Sometimes that's all it takes.
Although i don't have the Q5 version i do have the the R2 and there's a significant difference between the two modes.

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
I am using a tenergy brand 18650 battery. Could that be what it is? It works fine with 123A primaries. Maybe an AW or Sanyo 18650 is in order. Although my TK11 R2 does work fine in high mode with the same battery.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I am using a tenergy brand 18650 battery. Could that be what it is? It works fine with 123A primaries. Maybe an AW or Sanyo 18650 is in order. Although my TK11 R2 does work fine in high mode with the same battery.

If it works fine with the CR123 batteries then the problem ISN'T with the light.
It's definately the 18650 cell. Having said that i have a few Tenergy RCR123's and i've never had a problem with them,going on about 100 cycles between the two pairs i have now.
If you don't have a digital multimeter i would suggest investing in one .
It's a must have tool to accomadate your rechargables.
I make it a habit of checking the voltage on all my batteries before and after.
Most likely that 18650 cell is a dud. Try another one.

Xak

Enlightened
Are the Olight M20 R2s still comming out with a green beam? Is the standard Q5 M20 noticeably dimmer than the R2? Really want this light to mount on a weapon, but I don't want a green beam.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's now an upgrade option for the M20 R2's to a WD tint emitter which is a very neutral, slightly warm, white color - WD is my favorite tint.

Xak

Enlightened
There's now an upgrade option for the M20 R2's to a WD tint emitter which is a very neutral, slightly warm, white color - WD is my favorite tint.

....Hmmmmm.....

What are the lumens on that one compared to the others? Is this the same R2 WD that Deerlight is offering as upgrades?

How does it's tint and lumens compare to the WC and WH?

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
All R2 efficiency is functionally identical so we're just talking about a different tint. I cannot speak to the Deerelight but a WD is pretty close to a WC but slightly warmer and less blue. WH is closer to the regular M20 Premium R2's which are WG. WD's is the nicest cool white LED tint on the market as far as I'm concerned - the M20 R2 WD's exist because we had some leftover emitters from the Titanium Infinitums - we worked very hard to get these WD's because of their awesome tint.

Kalvix

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight M20 Warrior with the Q5 LED and I run it on an 18650. I have noticed that it it not any brighter on high mode with an 18650 than it is on medium. I see no discernable difference.

I had the same problem when I first received my M20. I could see a difference between low and medium, but there was no difference between medium and high. I was using CR123s that were getting old. Once i replaced them with new ones, problem was solved.

So if I had to guess, I'd say your 18650 is getting old.

jzelek

Newly Enlightened
All R2 efficiency is functionally identical so we're just talking about a different tint. I cannot speak to the Deerelight but a WD is pretty close to a WC but slightly warmer and less blue. WH is closer to the regular M20 Premium R2's which are WG. WD's is the nicest cool white LED tint on the market as far as I'm concerned - the M20 R2 WD's exist because we had some leftover emitters from the Titanium Infinitums - we worked very hard to get these WD's because of their awesome tint.

Matt, are you going to be offering the M20 R2 WD tint as a Drop-in that existing M20 owners can purchase or maybe we can send you the light for a conversion?:poke:

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently there's no plans to offer an 'upgrade.' The M20 R2 WD's were made with 'leftover' R2 WD's from the Titanium infinitum project and all of the emitters have gone into complete lights.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Matt, any chance in the near future that the Olight M20 Warrior will utilize a Q3 5A "warm" LED? Is Olight even considering on using this type of warm LED?

Thanks.

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Also, the M20 is semi-regulated using an 18650, so brightness will decline as your battery drains.

If your M20 is brighter on 123's, then your 18650 is most likely not getting charged all the way.