Looking for mod'ing suggestions for old KD2363 drop-in

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KD2363 is a P60 drop-in, advertised as a 2.7V-6V, 4-mode, Cree P4 module. Unfortunately, I think I got a bogus unit. Output seems low relative to the supposed 960ma drive current in high mode, the LED dome looks like it has multiple cracks in it, and overall construction is really bad.

So, what would you do with this drop-in? Not looking for anything overly radical.

Swap the emitter with a Cree Q5 or R2 and put in a different converter board (which one)? I'd prefer single mode.

Open up the hole in the reflector and swap the P4 for an MC-E? How would you go direct drive in this case (the existing driver is supposedly a 7135-based board -- can I just de-solder the chip for direct drive), or is there a nice single-mode converter board available?

Other ideas?

Thanks.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would swap the emitter for a cree Q3 5A warm tint. Still damn bright and has good color rendition. I would also swap the driver for this one. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4735 This way you could run it on aa batteries,cr123,or the various li-ion batteries.It would be a versatile setup.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think about this.

Single Li-ion cell operation (probably either 1x16340, 1x17670, or 1x18650).

Converter board: Deal Extreme SKU 1886. I would remove one of the AMC7135 regulator chips to give 1050ma drive.

Emitter: Cree P4 on a 14mm base, Deal Extreme SKU 3475.

The low Vf for the P4 should allow the setup to run in regulation for a good portion of the single Li-ion cell's capacity. The ~1A drive should provide for high output. Seems like a better balance than a Cree Q5.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Q5 and P4 should have similar Vfs. A Q5 might have a lower Vf then a P4, but that is all up to luck since Cree doesn't bin by Vf.

You can also have a boost driver in there. As soon as the voltage of the battery gets below the Vf of the LED the driver should kick in and provide a good output. But then if the batteries aren't protected they can be overdischarged.

Either way it should work.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I know about Vf for the Crees is what I see in this thread. Probably is a crap shoot, but I may be able to skew the odds in my favor.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Single Li-ion cell operation (probably either 1x16340, 1x17670, or 1x18650).

Converter board: Deal Extreme SKU 1886. I would remove one of the AMC7135 regulator chips to give 1050ma drive.

Emitter: Cree P4 on a 14mm base, Deal Extreme SKU 3475.

The low Vf for the P4 should allow the setup to run in regulation for a good portion of the single Li-ion cell's capacity. The ~1A drive should provide for high output. Seems like a better balance than a Cree Q5.

Looks good:thumbsup: You should be aware that DX1886 (and the 20 count item) are always sold out. Its speculated that DX builds to order only and they don't stock it, so it can be a LONG wait for that one.

Lower bin XR-Es can be surprisingly bright. I am direct driving one off an 18650 in one of my DIYs and ceiling bouncing it against my brighter R2 lights is really close.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

.... Converter board: Deal Extreme SKU 1886. I would remove one of the AMC7135 regulator chips to give 1050ma drive...

well you will be suprised when you open up the module:

here is what i found in mine:

igp2223copyir7.jpg

you just need to rewire the thing....

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa!

Does yours say "NANJG 12" on the spring side of the driver board?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry for the delay....

indeed it is!

if you do rewire it would you PM or post a pic????

Thanx, Kostas

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let you know if I do try to re-wire the board or not. I am not happy with the multi-mode and may just swap the board with something else. Do you think that re-connecting it might change the board into a single-mode, or perhaps into some other type of multi-mode?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
the board is single mode...the added rectangle one is the mode switcher...doesn't remind you of the circuits found in teh cheap multi-led lights?