New to CPF - think I may have the collecting bug !

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Hi everyone !

This is my first post, although I've been reading the forums for a bit and very impressed with the wealth of knowledge on here, and the friendly atmosphere with people showing a lot of respect for each other's opinions.

Like a lot of you, I'd always had torches (as we call them here in the UK) as a kid. Recently, I've been doing a lot of astronomy (hence the username) and looking for good lighting solutions for working in the dark. Once you're nicely dark-adapted, a really low light or ideally a red beam is what you need - no need for ultimate lumens here. But I've always liked a good gadget so for me useability, handling and good design are probably more important than outright brightness.

For quite a while I'd made do with the usual brand-name and DIY store torches (yes, those ones !), with red cellophane over the end for astronomy use, or a red bicycle light. I'd tried a couple of the multi-LED torches in the past but was disappointed by the vague beam and purple glow of supposedly "white" LEDs.

Then a year or so ago I picked up a ten quid* single-AA nichia light (Cyba-Lite Auro) in a camping / outdoor store. For the first time, a single LED light with a decent optic and a good beam. OK, it was still a little blue around the edges but I was really impressed by the brightness and it just fitted neatly in a pocket - very easy to handle. One night we were in the pub when a swan flew into the power lines and blacked the whole place out. Bounced the beam from that little light off the ceiling and kept the room lit for a couple of hours. Clearly LED technology had moved on a lot !

Until then, I - like most people - would have baulked at spending much more than a few pounds on a light, but that got me started on LED lights and I now have a Gladius, several Fenixes, a couple of Photons and two or three others. Use them for walking, around the house, working on the car and of course astronomy.

I'm now wondering if it will stop with these, or if the urge to try out a few others will be too strong (kinda got my eyes on a D10 at the moment). Hey, at least it's got to be cheaper than collecting telescopes !

I'll keep this first post short for now but if anyone's interested, I'll be happy to post some thoughts on these lights a bit later.

Cheers,

MS

[* UK term for a pound - for all intents and purposes roughly equal to a dollar these days... ]

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
flashholic-bug causes light fever and need to act like packrat. more cool things, i want them all!

yes, im a new victim aswell.

-too bad i was almost simultanesly bitten by knife bug! (again.)

so im treadin on thin ice! over dark cave with nasty creatures lurking in it.. glad i have my lights and knives with me. hahahah!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: I think you will like the D10.I have the EX10 GD and it has a really low output yet it can be adjusted to a very respectable high.Sadly the D10 is no longer available with the Golden Dragon LED :sigh: at least not from 4Sevens anyway.Maybe a retailer on your side of the pond has them available.Some prefer the CREE Q5 for brightness and efficiency but I think the GD offers a better quality beam.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone !

This is my first post, although I've been reading the forums for a bit and very impressed with the wealth of knowledge on here, and the friendly atmosphere with people showing a lot of respect for each other's opinions.

Like a lot of you, I'd always had torches (as we call them here in the UK) as a kid. Recently, I've been doing a lot of astronomy (hence the username) and looking for good lighting solutions for working in the dark. Once you're nicely dark-adapted, a really low light or ideally a red beam is what you need - no need for ultimate lumens here. But I've always liked a good gadget so for me useability, handling and good design are probably more important than outright brightness.

For quite a while I'd made do with the usual brand-name and DIY store torches (yes, those ones !), with red cellophane over the end for astronomy use, or a red bicycle light. I'd tried a couple of the multi-LED torches in the past but was disappointed by the vague beam and purple glow of supposedly "white" LEDs.

Then a year or so ago I picked up a ten quid* single-AA nichia light (Cyba-Lite Auro) in a camping / outdoor store. For the first time, a single LED light with a decent optic and a good beam. OK, it was still a little blue around the edges but I was really impressed by the brightness and it just fitted neatly in a pocket - very easy to handle. One night we were in the pub when a swan flew into the power lines and blacked the whole place out. Bounced the beam from that little light off the ceiling and kept the room lit for a couple of hours. Clearly LED technology had moved on a lot !

Until then, I - like most people - would have baulked at spending much more than a few pounds on a light, but that got me started on LED lights and I now have a Gladius, several Fenixes, a couple of Photons and two or three others. Use them for walking, around the house, working on the car and of course astronomy.

I'm now wondering if it will stop with these, or if the urge to try out a few others will be too strong (kinda got my eyes on a D10 at the moment). Hey, at least it's got to be cheaper than collecting telescopes !

I'll keep this first post short for now but if anyone's interested, I'll be happy to post some thoughts on these lights a bit later.

Cheers,

MS

[* UK term for a pound - for all intents and purposes roughly equal to a dollar these days... ]
:welcome: You sound like you will fit in quite well around here! This torch thing is definately a journey. You start buying all types of cheapies and then refine your collection, maybe reducing total numbers in favour of improving the quality of your stable.

I too appreciate quality and design over outright lumens - in many cases the brightest LED lights are also the poorest quality (DX stuff).

Enjoy your stay here - I know I have.

Take care,

James....

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome, Moonshadow. Your satisfaction with the lights you have now is probably inversely proportional to the time you spend at CPF. Tread lightly.

That said, check out the Proton Pro for a nice astronomy friendly light.

Geoff

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Thanks for the friendly welcome, guys !

Good call, FT: in fact the Proton Pro was my most recent purchase ! Got it a couple of weeks ago after reading some very positive comments on here, which turned out to be completely justified. The adjustable light level is invaluable for working in a range of situations and of course it has the red for astronomy. (The ramping feature is one of the things that I really like about the Gladius too, but the Proton is a lot smaller and lighter so tends to be the one to be slipped in a pocket most of the time). As has been said before, the UI is spot on - click for white, click and hold for red. Perfect !

For me, the variable light levels are much more useful than the preset levels on the Fenixes, which seem a bit too close together and don't go low enough. That said, the LD01 is now on glovebox duty in the car with a couple of spare AA lithiums - plus I have a L0D which gets used a lot, and an E01 next to the fusebox (didn't like the purple tint, but I've stuck some diffusing tape over it to get a nice white flood which is just right for close-up work like changing fuses).

My previous attempt at a red and white combination was an LED Lenser V2 aviator which I thought very good at the time: nice floody white beam (if a bit on the blue/purple side) and a good strong red led - but neither level is adjustable. The red is actually a bit too bright for astronomy and it's not dimmable. The other downside is that with the two switches, it's quite hard in the dark to make sure that you activate the correct one - and I can tell you that even a quick blast of white light at an observing session will get you lynched ! Oh, and it's a 3AAA which I now know from these hallowed pages is a bad idea . . . and it uses reverse clickies (blech !).

[ See what you lot are doing to me ? Before coming here I thought the V2 was great ! ]

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Looks like you have a good start with the lights you have purchased. I wish I could tell you it only gets easier from here on out, but I can't :caution: Enjoy your stay and I hope you stick around. We have a great bunch of people on here, just remember to hold on to your wallet!!

Cydonia

Enlightened
Welcome to the madness :candle:
There are a surprising number of astronomy enthusiasts here (myself included) so it nice to have another :D
Lights and Astronomy make for an interesting pair of interests I think.
I bet you're over on the cloudynights forums too :p
Wiring up the telescope with variable red LED's (on tripod legs etc.,) can eliminate most of the need for a handheld red light I find. Various adjustable LED's make for a "light rack" for illuminating charts, the ground and tripod legs. Check out the super glow in the dark key FOBS sold here in the forums - I use one on each tripod leg. Glows all night (not enough to damage dark adaption) so you always know where the legs are and don't trip.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Thanks guys;

Cy - yes, I have indeed spent a bit of time over there at CloudyNights too !

Compared to flashlights, the prices of some of those eyepieces can make your wallet bleed :eek:oo: Similar thing I guess - collected quite a few, mainly to try them out and compare, did a bit of buying/selling/trading, and ended up with just the two or three favourites that get used most of the time (er ... plus of course the dozen or so others still in the collection !). Before that it was cameras and lenses !

I've made up some little red LED blinkers that run off a CR2032 for tripod duty, and my other Photon is a red Freedom Micro that I'm still waiting for a non-cloudy night to try out.

Rule of thumb is that whenever you buy a new telescope, it'll rain for three weeks. Wonder if there's a similar thing for flashlights ?