Fenix TK10 or P3D

blindlight

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys total noob when it comes to flash lights and need a little help selecting. I am fairly positive i would like to get a fenix just not quite sure which one, either the tk10 or p3d. Both seem like the would be fine for what i would need them for (walking dog, digging through shed at night , keeping by my bed.) I just dont know if the tk 10 will be to much light, if it had all the modes of the p3d there would be no doubt thats what i would get. The thing is something tells me the p3d might be beter suited for me at least for a first light. I just really love the way the tk10 look in OG.:banghead: CHOICES CHOICES

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Am i heading in the right direction?? These are decent lights for the price RIGHT??

thnx guys

fenix-rules

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix tk10 or p3d

both are great lights but i recommend you get the p3d just make sure your able to get cr123 batteries kinda becomes a pain

blindlight

Newly Enlightened

Ok whats the big deal about the batteries. And why the recommendation to the p3d

Toaster

Enlightened

Both of these lights are perfectly fine for what you ask. Don't be fooled by all the extra modes on the P3D, most of them are not as useful as you may think. You need 4x as much light for a light to appear twice as bright to your eyes. So the 12/53/215 lumen levels are spaced rather nicely. The 120 lumen level just kinda hangs there and strobe/SOS are novelties more than anything else. For all practical purposes you are gaining a low level on the P3D over the TK10.

Anyhow I suggest you start by looking at this thread. You'll find beamshots of the P3D, TK10, and various other lights which may help you come to a decision on which light is right for you.

blindlight

Newly Enlightened

Okay i think iam going to go with the tk-10. Where is a good place to make the purchase?

Toaster

Enlightened

Order it from 4Sevens using coupon code 'CPF8' for an additional 8% discount. Price is excellent, includes free shipping worldwide, and you get a no questions asked lifetime warranty on all Fenix products from them.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

CR123A can be very expensive if you need to buy some in a hurry, that's the deal.

I own both lights and for your purposes, my advice also goes to the P3D (or PD30 which I own).

If I use a light at night, even the low on a P3D is much too bright for me. A red filter will correct this. The 60 Lumen of a TK10 would ruin my ability to sleep afterwards.

While the TK10 is of very simple use with a very smooth beam and built like a tank, it isn't a light to stick in a trousers-pocket. You can forget about that tiny little clip. The P3D is on the limit, but small enough for a pocket. The different modes (except SOS and strobe) are indeed usefull if you use it in the house or are walking the dog. You'll realize soon that you mostly only need to switch to turbo for enjoying it. Bear in mind that turbo is very hungry...

My PD30 has an SMO reflector, there was no OP available here, but I would recommend that one, it seems you could need more flood than throw. The TK10 will still beat it in that discipline though, it has the smoothest beam a Q5 can produce.

Greets,

Henk

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asthetics say: P3D/PD30

wallet (and green thinking) say: 18650 cell

(which Fenix has no nice looking and small light - look at Jeatbeam's models)

geoffg

Newly Enlightened

P3D
I have a p3d and a tk11, the former is used possibly 90% of the time as it is easy to EDC, I only use the tk11 when i am going out "to use a torch".
The low level (choice of 4 levels as opposed to 2 for the tk10) is used possibly most and usefull for indoors, therefore the batteries last a lot longer than they would in a tk10.
It has strobe and sos to impress/annoy your mates/kids, so it also has that satisfing gadget factor.
An easy choice imo ( unless you throw the excellent pd20 into the equation and then you will have problems choosing)
Geoff

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the low mode of the P3D is very useful as 60 lumens is way too much a lot of the time.
Personally I'd go for the P3D/PD30 as it is more versatile and has a long battery life on the lowest mode.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both but very seldom use the TK10 because the low level is still too much for most short range activities. The minimum level of P3D or PD30 is just about right to read a watch, a map, a piece of paper or to find a keyhole in the dark. :)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

PD30 > P3D.

However, IMO your going to buy both anyway, you just don't know it yet.

blindlight

Newly Enlightened

^ ha iam starting to feel that way. I guess know that this thread has to talk what is the difference between the p20 and p3d or p30. It seems as thought he only difference is the size and lumens. Being that the p30 is the largest and brightest followed by the p3d then the p20. Correct me if i am wrong.

thnx guys alot of useful help.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

P2D old model --> PD20 new model 1 x CR123A
P3D old model --> PD30 new model 2 x CR123A

The output is the same for the "old" and new ones, but the reflectors changed. For the rest, the new models have another circuit and the lower modes have a few lumens less than on the older P2D/P3D. The design has been changed, teh new ones have an antir-roll, better grip and a U-tailcap.

Upon you to decide which one you want. For about the same price I would go for the PD30 of course. Pay attention : Only the P3D Q5 has the same output as the PD30, the P3D CE has less!

The PD20 is nice and bright, but with large hands you'll encoutert problems to switch it on or off...

blindlight

Newly Enlightened

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

blindlight

Newly Enlightened

Thnx so much for all the input. My next question is if the batteries are so hard to get a hold of do you recommend rechargeables, do they even make ones that work for these lights?

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened

Rechargeble models of the CR123 are the RCR123. You can buy them at alot of places :)

And i've seen ALOT of people turn flashaholic here, while they just wanted 1 light in the beginning, so you are warned!:devil:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apparently the new TK11 R2 runs regulated on 18650 (rechargeable batteries) and cr123 batteries. I'm not sure if you really want something that bright, but I personally believe that 18650 batteries are the most cost effective battery setup. They have relatively large capacity, and are rechargeable.