Eeek... ASP Saphire is NOT water-resistant

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, got caught in the middle of a big storm here in the 'burgh (Pittsburgh). My saphire attached to my keychain got wet and now it won't turn off. For the life of me I can't figure out how to take the case apart to dry the sucker
confused.gif
... a little help please? I'm too impatient to send it back to ASP for their free battery replacement
tongue.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'd be Sobby if I had a ASP Saphire instead of an Arc but yeah, get an Arc! If the battery does drain to the point it turns itself off, no worries it should still work in the Arc AAA, wait, does it take a AAA? I'm being ignorant...

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASP Sapphire is a big fat Photon-esque keychain light with an integral clip (ie, it`s a 5mm LED/lithium coin batteries/squeeze-to-glow light). Runs on a pair of CR2016 batteries, and is a factory sealed unit meaning you cannot replace the batteries yourself.

But since it`s not waterproof either, it means you can`t dry it easilly if it gets wet. To me, this is a design flaw on a light that is priced such that it is clearly not meant to be disposable. I expect they`d still honor their battery replacement policy, but there is a chance that they`ll be able to tell it`s gotten wet and charge you a "repair fee".
Which is a bit silly since as far as I know, they crack the case open and chuck it (I`ve tried opening one of mine, as does Craig at the LED Museum, but there doesn`t seem a way to do it without destroying it), and just re-use the LED if it`s re-usable. The light you get back after sending in for new batteries, is likely not to be the same light you sent off to begin with! Might be the same LED, but that`s probably about all.

It`s probably too late by now, but if it happens again, shake as much water out as you can and then leave it on top of your computer monitor (while the monitor is on of course). The warrmth will be enough to dry it out in a few hours. And don`t worry about excessive drain on the cells. The LED in the Sapphire is so efficient at very low powers that it can emit a very visible glow with a current flow of microamps- in other words, hardly no power at all
wink.gif

I`d add a reccomendation to the Arc AAA too. Nice lights. Very nice lights
grin.gif

Tony from Finland

Newly Enlightened
BTW, the ASP LED-lights don't do so well in cold weather either. I think I broke four during my 9-month mandatory military service.
tongue.gif
(One time clipped it onto a jacket zipper, next time I try to turn on the light the whole thing falls apart. Temperature was probably around -30C then.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Attach it to a thin lanyard and whirl the tweedle out of that sucker. Whirl it around as fast as you can without throwing it.

Then set it on top of the vents on a warm computer monitor or TV set for a day or so.

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
Asp is very good about the warranty on the Sapphire. I've sent them two destroyed ones and they sent me back two new lights. Doesn't get much better than that. Having said that, you really ought to get an Arc AAA anyway. Nearly the same price, warranty, and the "GeeWhiz" factor is a lot higher.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
i forgot to take it off before a shower(it was around my neck) and the same thing happened to me. i just shook the snot out of it then it shut off FINALLY! it works ok now
frown.gif
. the case on thoes things are not the strongest.