My bomb proof mod completed

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
before

During

more to follow

installed Tri-flupic wired in parallel, was a bit of a bear as the canister is a bit large for the board, had to put some support struts in the can to hold it in place. The foil around the converter can helps transfer heat to the body.

a low shot a high shot

Still trying to get the hang of the Tri-flupic, but I like it so far.

I think I will be sending it out for Anodizing soon as I want to use it for diving as well.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: My bomb proof mod in progress

thats an interesting reflector, I don't recall ever seeing a flat bottomed one before :eek:oo:

04orgZx6r

Enlightened

Nice Job!
Man I have been slacking here recently, it just seems like I have no time...
Mine is still an empty host but we'll see how it goes...
Great job though

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back from the anodizer, came out pretty good.

Waiting for some Copper Tape to arrive to wrap around converter instead of Alum. foil to provide heat transfer path.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic

Back from the anodizer, came out pretty good.

Waiting for some Copper Tape to arrive to wrap around converter instead of Alum. foil to provide heat transfer path.

That looks great! Where are you sending the lights for the anodizing?

Will

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Will,
It's a local Chicago Suburb Anodizer, he specializes in architectural anodizing. He doesn't normally do one off stuff, but I am a schmooze artist so he did it for me. He normally want a 100 piece minimum.

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well all done with this light.
Assembled and running.
Got rid of aluminum foil ring and wrapped converter with copper foil tape snug to inside diameter of body. Used Arc AAA sponge and small battery magnet spacer for the switch. Running with one AW C Li-Ion and an aluminum dummy cell. there is room for two C cells may work on a holder for 2 to get more run time.
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff181/carlcostanzo/bomb proof/?action=view&current=DSCN0138.jpg

low med high

PS Forgive the outside shots, got shaky holding light and trying to take photo, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened

Beautifully executed Olrac. It's funny how tiny that led looks inside the reflector, but that little cree puts out some big light. :twothumbs

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks and yes the emitter looks itty bitty in that reflector. Hope we start seeing more of these mods. It's really cool the three or four that have shown up all represent different ideas for the same host.

cryhavok

Enlightened
This is a fantastic mod! Thanks for sharing your build process!

I'm trying to do my bomb-proof host in the same fashion...I have a few questions :eek:

How did you establish the negative electrical path between the Flu-PIC and the flashlight body? It looks like you soldered the FluPic to the reflector canister (or is that aluminum foil? )...but how do you have a reliable connection to the body? Is it by way of flupic > canister > copper tape wedged into host? (requiring the removal of some of the annodizing near the head of the flashlight tube?)

Also, do you have a spring somewhere in the body? If not, I would imagine the light must rattle? Does the foam spacer provide enough cushioning to hold the battery/spacer stable? It doesn't look very tall.

Could you explain how the switch works? I'm confused as to how the tailcap makes an electrical path with the host and the battery. It looks like the foam spacer is a bit above the magnet, allowing it to become compressed and making connection between the tailcap and the magnet/battery when the tail is screwed down some. Now how does the tailcap make an electrical path with the host? Is it through the threads, or the end of the body grinding into the bottom of the tailcap?

Where did you get your copper tape?

Sorry for all the questions...Many thanks :thumbsup:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks cryhavok,

The flupic is soldered into the canister, and the electrical path is through the canister/reflector to the body (I masked out the area where the reflector meets the inside of the body so there was no anodize). The copper tape is just used to conduct heat away from the LED module to the body.

I had some 1-1/8" clear tubing that I cut a couple of 1/4" rings and put them around the C cell to keep it from rattling. This is not necessary when I am using a 3 x AA adapter as they fit perfectly.

The switch works with the same principle a Arc AAA light. The foam spacer is a bit thicker than the magnet in the center of it. As you twist down the tailcap it compresses the foam and the magnet makes contact between the battery and dummy cell completing the circuit.

Since my last post I have added a spring between the tailcap and the dummy cell but not for the purpose of preventing rattle but to prevent any crushing of the battery tip by the switch as is a problem with Arc lights. The spring has more resistance than the foam but still will give before damaging the C cell. I like this set up because it minimizes parts that can fail. Can't take apart a light and check out what's wrong under 80 feet of water! :laughing:

On a side note, I have been using this light quite a bit lately. We have had some wacky weather in the Midwest lately, rain/snow/rain/sleet/warm/freezing, all in one storm and this light is rugged as hell through it all. It has a good balance of throw and spill making it a great all around light. Wish I had bought a couple more of these hosts.

If you have any other questions please ask and I will try to answer them as best I can
Cheers

PS forgot to add, yes the inside bottom of tail cap is NOT anodized. Bought copper tape off of ebay there is a seller who regularly sells it, if you want I can PM a link to you.

PPS the spring was from a Dereelight P60 drop-in that I had lying about.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
PS forgot to add, yes the inside bottom of tail cap is NOT anodized. Bought copper tape off of ebay there is a seller who regularly sells it, if you want I can PM a link to you.

Please go ahead and post the source for the copper tape - I am sure several will like to know as it probably has many uses for us flashaholics ;)

Will