Best throwing option for E series

imrich

Newly Enlightened
I have a scout light that is going to spend its life on an AR. I carry this rifle in the mountains mostly in the winter. (Lion hunting among other things) I would like something small and light but it needs to throw. Currently there is no head on it. Could someone recomend a head that will suit my needs and survive in a tough environment?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Throw is limited by the size of the reflector. If you need something to throw far, you'll have to look at a larger head.

How much throw would you like?

imrich

Newly Enlightened
I guess I would want as much as I could get with an "E" sized head. I do not want to put a bigger head on it just because I think it would be prone to damage.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You'd want the E2DL head, I think that's the KX2C head. You can probably send it to a modder to swap in the highest bin Cree XR-E LED and over drive that a bit. That will give more throw then the E2DL has.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KX2C is different from the E2DL head in that the KX2C is single stage and the E2DL head is 2-stage.

The E2DL will switch between levels upon recoil, so the KX2C is what you will need.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
If you want a real thrower (although it is by necessity a bit bigger), you could ge the LU60A adapter for the scoutlight, and replace the bezel lart of the LU60A with a KT2 tubo head.

This might be a little larger than you want though, but will out throw the other options.

ugrey

Enlightened
You want either a KX2C head or, maybe, a Bug Out Gear C/P size premium drop in. The BOG drop in has the most pencil like, thin beam I have ever seen on a LED drop in. To use it you would need a Z44 bezel and an adapter like SureFires or a TnC E2C. I have a KX2C and a BOG drop in and I will go test them tonight for you and come back and give you a report.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The KX2C head would be the best place to start because of the TIR optic. If you wanted to take it to the next level you could have it professionally modded to the highest flux LED and appropriate driver. There are several here at CPF that could help you with that.

Regarding the aftermarket head linked above, those are also being sold by Optics HQ. The early versions of that head received some decent reviews but suffered from finishing flaws and water entry in two cases that I know of. I'm not sure if the latest ones have been improved or not.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want either a KX2C head or, maybe, a Bug Out Gear C/P size premium drop in. The BOG drop in has the most pencil like, thin beam I have ever seen on a LED drop in. To use it you would need a Z44 bezel and an adapter like SureFires or a TnC E2C. I have a KX2C and a BOG drop in and I will go test them tonight for you and come back and give you a report.

Welcome to CPF imrich.

I have both of the above. The BOG Super Premium drop in definitely out throws the KX2C. I can easily light up the 10th floor of an office building and see into the windows despite all the ambient light in downtown Sacramento at night. I agree with ugrey, its a mini-turbohead. The KX2C beam profile resembles a MN03 LA in terms of hotspot, spill, and spread over distance IMHO. But it is about 3 times as bright as calibrated by the Mark III Eyeball.

I'd get the KX2C 1st. It is designed to be used with a weapon.

kelmo

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not personally tried this product. It may be too large in diameter for your long gun. It's a 2.4" diameter Turbo head that is LED.

The new TLS TX-3 Turbo LED Conversion Head.

It is designed for the E series with an optional TLS M2E adapter. The TLS TX-3 fits E1/E1L, E2/E2L, E2D/E2DL. It has a high and low output which may not fit your needs.

Opt for the SMOOTH reflector for all throw.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two E1e's that throw very well indeed for their size:

M30 lamp in 6P head with E2C adaptor on FM 1*16340 body (E1e size body)
M30_E2C_E.jpg

TLS Head on E1e body
TLS_E1e_2398.jpg

ugrey

Enlightened
I got busy last night and forgot about this, sorry. I just walked back in from testing the KX2C against the Bug Out Gear premium LED P/C sized drop in. Boy, it's cold out tonight! I would call it a tie in terms of throw. The BOG drop in is a smaller, tighter beam but it does not seem to me to throw any farther. The KX2C is a larger beam but seems to throw every bit as far. That may be because it is brighter? I would pick the KX2C. Call Optics HQ and tell them you are a CPF member, either that or try Ebay.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another suggestion for the KX2C. I have been nothing short of impressed by the overall output and throw of my E2DL. On a rifle it should be MORE than sufficeint.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a real thrower (although it is by necessity a bit bigger), you could ge the LU60A adapter for the scoutlight, and replace the bezel lart of the LU60A with a KT2 tubo head.

This might be a little larger than you want though, but will out throw the other options.

TNC Products has a TH adapter for the E-series, as an alternative to the LU60A.

Last edited: