New Inova XO 1.4 watt?

toolpig1

Enlightened
I have an Inova XO 4.8 watt version. It's a decent light with about a 6 hour runtime. I noticed in Target recently that the XO's are now packaged as 1.4 watt and the emitter is no longer hexagonal. What's the story, change for the better or worse? Anyone know if brightness or runtime is improved or unimproved?
If this has been discussed, forgive me, I searched and couldn't find it.

toolpig1

Enlightened
I didn't purchase, just saw it hanging from the peg. No way to get a good picture of the emitter without taking a light out of the package. Anyone out there bought one of these?

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought the 4.8watt model thinking the 1,4watt is an older version. Logic made me think the 4.8watt version is brighter so I bought that one. It's nice, but not really great. I would also be interested if anyone knew about this 1.4watt model ...or if anyone owns one.

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
I called Inova and spoke to customer service and she asked an engineer and both are unaware of a 1.4watt version of this light. They are speculating a packaging error?? Anyway, I plan to follow up later to see what's up with this.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4.8-watt XO with reflector was a pretty nice light for its time. The main drawback was the runtime. If you like the form factor of that light, then the T2-MP is the way to go.

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
Supposedly the XO has a 5 hour runtime. Their website claims 4 hours for the T2-MP... does the T2 have a different LED? Do you know if the XO or T2 is waterproof?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original XO used a Luxeon I LED driven at about 1 watt, which did give a 5-hour runtime. But that was only about 30 lumens, compared to the later version which was probably 80 lumens. There were reflector versions of each kind.

The T2-MP runs for about 2 hours in regulation, diminishing sharply after. The Inova website uses the weasel phrase "up to 4 hours," but the packaging shows a runtime graph that says otherwise.

The T1-MP really does run for 4 hours in regulation. It has less output and a much more floody beam than the T2-MP.

BP2000

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest looking at the backside of the blisterpack and see what the datecode is (usually by the lower left corner). I think the 4.8 watt lights came out in 2008.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called Inova and spoke to customer service and she asked an engineer and both are unaware of a 1.4watt version of this light. They are speculating a packaging error?? Anyway, I plan to follow up later to see what's up with this.

Interesting. I saw the exact same light (at least, the card in the blisterpack said 1.4W, so I assume it was the same Inova) at a firearms store this weekend. Funny they should say they don't know anything about it...

kwalker

Newly Enlightened
The package on my 4.8watt light reads "2006".

I would suggest looking at the backside of the blisterpack and see what the datecode is (usually by the lower left corner). I think the 4.8 watt lights came out in 2008.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen those in Target. I believe that is the old version of that light. I see old versions of Inova's there all the time.

Mike

Super Tico

Newly Enlightened
Supposedly the XO has a 5 hour runtime. Their website claims 4 hours for the T2-MP... does the T2 have a different LED? Do you know if the XO or T2 is waterproof?
I've crossed some rivers with my XO 4.8 No problems yet.
I don't have the box and the website doesn't say if it is or isn't.... I don think ?

It does have a well done o ring on the tailpiece.
I've beat the hell out of mine.
They're good lights.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't purchase, just saw it hanging from the peg. No way to get a good picture of the emitter without taking a light out of the package. Anyone out there bought one of these?

I have this light, and when I get a chance I will take a picture of the emitter. It is currently in my car, and I am too lazy to get it now (5th floor). They are very durable lights and built pretty solid. It is only one lumen setting though, but can be used momentary or permanent "on" but twisting and untwisting the tail. This was my first real LED light and is still pretty good when compared to current lights. Actually I have some pics on photobucket I will post now. Here ya go:

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Please excuse the pictures... they were taken about a year and a half ago, and were rushed. I will take a closer picture tomorrow of the emitter. Hope this helps.