I Need Help Understanding Bi-Pin Sizes

GreyShark

Enlightened
Ok, I have some G4 D26 adapters. I understand that WA1111 and WA1185's will work with them. Now I'm looking for other bulbs too and I don't quite understand how the sizing works. It looks like there's two different size specifications on the same bulb, G4 and T2.25. I have also read that bi-pin bulbs can have pins of differing thickness and those pins can be closer or further apart so not every bi-pin will work in every bi-pin socket. Even more fun is that the glass envelope size appears to vary as well so not every one will work though every reflector.

If anybody can help me sort this out I'd appreciate it. I'm hunting for low output bi-pins and it would be very useful if I understood how the specifications work better.

BSBG

Enlightened
The T 2.25 refers to the size of the bulb, not the pin spacing. The G__ is the pin spacing in mm. Modified with an extra letter like Gx6.35 refers to the diameter of the pins and is beyond what I know off the top of my head :thinking:.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
G4 is bulb pins with 4mm apart center to center and thickness of 0.7mm
T stands for tubular bulb glass and 2.25 is approximate diameter. (2.25/8)" or 7.1mm
Most of WA bulbs are T2.25 and most of med size Carley lamps are T2.5
Obviously higher wattage and hotter bulbs require larger tube size like T-3.5, T4 and ....

Osram 62138, 64610 and 64611 are G6.35 with 1mm pin thickness while Osram 64623 or 64625 bulbs are GY6.35 with 1.25mm pin thickness.
This will give you very little information but there are many other type and size bulbs.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I tried out a 1160 in my SuperStinger with Ultra head and the pins fit but I had to bend them in, and they seemed thicker than the stock UltraStinger bulb. What would be UltraStinger bulb be rated at, G? T2.25 (?)

Bill

Just got to thinking, the Stinger's are set up for minature bulbs, so the reason for the narrow spacing and thinner pins. The Ultra adapters make allowances for that.

Bill

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried out a 1160 in my SuperStinger with Ultra head and the pins fit but I had to bend them in, and they seemed thicker than the stock UltraStinger bulb. What would be UltraStinger bulb be rated at, G? T2.25 (?)

Bill

Just got to thinking, the Stinger's are set up for minature bulbs, so the reason for the narrow spacing and thinner pins. The Ultra adapters make allowances for that.

Bill

Super Stinger, Stinger, Strion, TL-3 and many other flashlights with smaller reflectors use G2, T1.5 bulb and this is because reflector bulb opening can remain small for more reflection.
Percentage wise, this will reflect more light than this.
UltraStinger and Stinger HP bulbs are T2.5 bulb made by Carley with special plastic basing but still G2.