Tektite LS light!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm supposed to get one of those for review, so we'll see... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it's going to be low-tek like all their other lights. LS LED, 3 batteries, probably a resistor to damp it a little. Main wonder will be how much heat such a setup will produce and where do they dump it since it's a plastic case.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if it's resistored to the hilt, and maybe they'd let 200ma squeeze by, I doubt you'll have to worry anytime soon about heat problems...

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
OOPS! Almost forgot... New Lumileds 1watt PR-base flange bulbs at Tektite. 3-cell available now, 2 & 4 cell in 2 weeks.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
They say it provides as much light as 9 of their regular LED's. Since a luxeon normally is equivalent to between 15 and 20 regular LED's (if I'm remembering that properly) they are indeed throttling it down quite a bit.

Oh well.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, for some reason, a previous post didn't.

The Expedition Star is running at 350-390 ma. The heat output is less than our 1900. We've also upped the specs, as Lumileds has upped theirs. Expedition Star is a "P" rank, The Excursion LS1 is a "Q" rank. 5 watt coming.

BillG

Newly Enlightened
newbie here....i may be out of line, but....doesn't $80 seem like a lot of money for a plastic 3c LS flashlight??

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
They're not the greatest value, for sure. I have a 1400 that cost way too much relative to the growing competition (i.e. before I knew any better).

Scott: how about a LS board to drop in my existing 1400? CCrane used to carry "upgrades" - will the LS be available? (I don't think I want to know how much they cost, though.)

BTW, thanks to Scot.at.Tektite for the reply! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how you look at it. It's not really "plastic" like you would find in cheap chinese imports, but ABS polymer - very tough stuff. In some ways it's better than aluminum in that it is resiliant rather than rigid, allowing it to survive hard impacts with little or no damage.

The bezel is make from Lexan - also a polymer - also very tough stuff. http://www.gelexan.com/gelexan/features.html

It's dive rated - none of the others LS lights I've reviewed are dive rated. Waterproof maybe, or water resistant, but not dive rated.

If it's what you need for a serious job, it may very well be worth every penny. If you're going to use it for looking in the cabinets for a box of cereal, then it probably isn't.