So I got bored and.......

BUZ

Enlightened
As the title says I was bored and decided to polish the bezel and clip on my 120T, I think it came out ok (whatcha think). Ordered a UCL glass lens and a GITD O-ring, I ordered the 3/4" one from lighthound, that is the correct size right (anyone know)?

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

PetaBread

Enlightened
You Polished it with what? (Srry im not a polishing expert, I dont even know the first thing about "Polishing")

BUZ

Enlightened
You Polished it with what? (Srry im not a polishing expert, I dont even know the first thing about "Polishing")

I used a dremel and a couple polishing wheels. Used a very fine grit compound and then finished it off with flitz.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great! Is that how they look new, or is it even more shiny now?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, quite a difference then. I think it's added some class.

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
I love this look and have considered doing it myself, but I lack the proper tools. What exactly is a polishing wheel, anyone have a link? Sorry for my ignorance.

One of the things I've wondered about doing this however is how this holds up? Does it lose that luster and sparkle rather quickly? Does it rust at the slightest contact with moisture? I would think this would require constant polishing to keep it looking good since there's no coating. Anyone with experience with this care to share?

BUZ

Enlightened
I love this look and have considered doing it myself, but I lack the proper tools. What exactly is a polishing wheel, anyone have a link? Sorry for my ignorance.

One of the things I've wondered about doing this however is how this holds up? Does it lose that luster and sparkle rather quickly? Does it rust at the slightest contact with moisture? I would think this would require constant polishing to keep it looking good since there's no coating. Anyone with experience with this care to share?

Tools are quite basic and not to expensive. All you need are the items below:

1) Dremel (I use the cordless version) however any one will do.

2) Felt polishing tip/wheel and the bit that holds the tip/wheel.

http://www.toolbarn.com/images/dremel/422.jpg
http://www.toolbarn.com/images/dremel/429.jpg
http://www.toolbarn.com/images/dremel/401.jpg

3) Flitz metal polish, you don't need a fine abrasive will just take a tad longer if you use flitz by itself.

4) Just apply the metal polish to the part, spread it around with the wheel and then turn it on (low speed). Simply move the head around until you see the finish coming off and buff to desired sheen. Really can't screw it up.

5) I use isopropyl alcohol to clean off parts and threads.

Pretty much any hobby store will carry the dremel and heads, also a good place to look is at your local home depot or large hardwares store. For bare metal it actually keeps very well, I ocosanlly wipe it off with my shirt, the flitz really seems to help against corosion. I have polished up other lights and even gun barrels to (bare metel) and have had no problems with corrosion.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Very nice work! I know you can remove the clip but did you take the bezel off to do the polishing and to save the head from any slips?

Course I don't even know if the bezel is removeable.

BUZ

Enlightened
Very nice work! I know you can remove the clip but did you take the bezel off to do the polishing and to save the head from any slips?

Course I don't even know if the bezel is removeable.

Thank you.

Yes I removed the bezel from the body. It's quite easy, I use a nylon rod that fits nicely in the grooves. Just press and twist. You can also take a screw driver and wrap some duck tape around it so it doesn't mar the metal. Everything is polished except the threads.

IMG_1425.jpg

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
Tools are quite basic and not to expensive. All you need are the items below:

1) Dremel (I use the cordless version) however any one will do.

2) Felt polishing tip/wheel and the bit that holds the tip/wheel.

http://www.toolbarn.com/images/dremel/422.jpg
http://www.toolbarn.com/images/dremel/429.jpg
http://www.toolbarn.com/images/dremel/401.jpg

3) Flitz metal polish, you don't need a fine abrasive will just take a tad longer if you use flitz by itself.

4) Just apply the metal polish to the part, spread it around with the wheel and then turn it on (low speed). Simply move the head around until you see the finish coming off and buff to desired sheen. Really can't screw it up.

5) I use isopropyl alcohol to clean off parts and threads.

Pretty much any hobby store will carry the dremel and heads, also a good place to look is at your local home depot or large hardwares store. For bare metal it actually keeps very well, I ocosanlly wipe it off with my shirt, the flitz really seems to help against corosion. I have polished up other lights and even gun barrels to (bare metel) and have had no problems with corrosion.

Thanks. Have a dremel, or equivalent, just need to get some of those polishing wheels and polish. I'm going to give it a shot, like you said, can't screw it up. Thanks for providing the info. :thumbsup:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Misleading thread title. I thought this was going to be a thread about boring body tubes, or your Friday night out.

BUZ

Enlightened
Thanks. Have a dremel, or equivalent, just need to get some of those polishing wheels and polish. I'm going to give it a shot, like you said, can't screw it up. Thanks for providing the info. :thumbsup:

You bet!

Just remember that you can always buy from lighthound a new clip and bezel if you don't like how it turns out.