Dereelight CL1H V4 suitable for law enforcement?

dano101

Enlightened
I was looking to buy a few RCMP members new lights and was just curious what you all thought of this light being used for law enforcement purposes?

Dano

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many threads on LEOs seeking lights, perhaps you should consider checking through those to see what LEOs themselves are choosing.

Personally, the CL1H v4 looks great but as i am not an LEO, the light may not see the kind of use that an LEO light would. Also, for those on night shift, runtimes might be a factor unless they carry around spares.

Thinking on that, are there chargers which can use the 12v DC lighter socket to charge cells? THAT may be a good gift for an LEO, he can charge as he moves around.

As i personally do not own a Dereelight, i cannot comment but i do own Jetbeams and i can personally attest to their utility and durability (albeit from a civilian standpoint), i tend not to want to recommend the Jet III Military for LEOs (despite its name) as mode changing is done by twisting the bezel (head), which may be hard to do if the other hand is holding a gun.

I'd say go for the Jet III Pro ST (if still available) or the new Jet III Mk3, 1st mode on MAX to check out cars, perps, suspects, etc. 2nd mode on 50% if not so much light required. 3rd mode, strobe? minimum? the choices are all there. Switch to locator strobe to warn off vehicles in the event of a traffic accident. Fast strobe if entering a dwelling. All those choices are there in Jetbeam and their UI is really easy to get the hang of so that you can even program on the move.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I love my Dereelights, I feel they are more along the lines of an enthusiast (flashaholic) kind of light. They are modular and let the user configure them in a variety of ways. However, they just don't have the track record that companies like Surefire, Pelican, and even Fenix, have. So I would hesitate to recommend a brand like Dereelight to someone who's life may depend on it.

That said, you could get a Surefire and it could fail to work and you could get a Dereelight that provides years of reliable service.

If you go with a Dereelight I would just make sure to go over the whole light, make sure all the contact points are clean and all parts are properly installed and tested.

electric sheep

Enlightened
The proviso above is sensible as they do need cleaning and lubricating as they are shipped without a perfect finish in that area. That is the only flaw and once cleaned they are superb. I have three modular pills and three reflectors for the CL1 V4 and find the smooth R2 WH perfect for throwing a clean spot hundreds of metres, switching to the orange peel reflector gives you a fantastic balanced flood but the ultimate is the MC-E. I run it with RC123's but for your application the extension tube i also have would be better with two 18650's. The MC-E sends light nearly as far as the spot of the R2 but lights up everything in between.I went for a 2.4a pill which with outdoor use is excellent for leaving no place to hide. You literally light up the whole space without the tunnel vision of a spot. I love it and think the more people see it the more will want it. With extension you get well over an hour of regulated light on max but with compact carry 123's X 2 you get 30 mins. I often need to visit some very dangerous housing estates(complexes) and love the way it just blows all the shadows and dark holes away. It intimidates and inside lights up even the largest rooms from corner to corner.