wtb pocket sized floodlight for filming .5-5 feet away. anything cool in mind?

dengdam

Newly Enlightened
already planning on buying a zebralight or a surefire saint pending reviews.

but would probably need another light anyway and thought i see what ideas you modders have built or have ideas on building.

mainly to help film in poorly lit to moderately lit rooms. to help things not lose focus and to get better color. oh yeah and not to blind anyone or make them uncomfortable.

im sure you guys have seen the picture of the sundrop and the frog looking right at it lol. i wanna do something like that. with animals or people that would be nice.

a modded zebralight would be cool or something like a poor man's sun drop...

i know its a shot in the dark lol :devil: but hey who knows.

Last edited:
Unless you are filming a particular object, I dont think the Zebralight would give you enough illumination. The best lights I have found for illuminating whole rooms are:

1. Milky Roomsweeper
2. Milky Gossamer
3. P7 Malkoff drop in (made at request for about $70.00)
4. Malkoff MC-E dropin ($125.)(not as effective as the P7)
5. Download's 18650 MC-E. This light is probably the best and the cheapest of them all. Total cost of the Download is $130.00

Last edited:

dengdam

Newly Enlightened
gonna attach a light to the camcorder and move around with it to film or lay it on the ground in front of me. not really looking to light up the whole room but a whole area that im focusing on.

dengdam

Newly Enlightened
since zebralight still doesnt have warm emitters in stock i thought i would try bumping this thread to see if anyone has anything interesting that might fit my needs.

:candle:

scout24

Flashaholic
Sabrewolf makes an 18650 light also, warmwhite is one of his options. Around the same $ as Downloads. +1 for the Mule with the high cri 083, BTW :). Sabrewolf's Mini Chimera has a 1/4- 20 mounting hole as an option, too. Also with warmwhite as an option.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Malkoff M60F or M60WF. It would be several times the output of the Zebralight. The "W" stands for "warm" and might be less harsh but at a cost of a few lumens.

mrQQ

Enlightened
though with all the focused and more powerful flashlights you WOULD be blinding anyone with adapted night vision..

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the OP didn't know exactly what he wanted to buy, I moved this thread to the LED lights forum.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
1. Milky Roomsweeper
2. Milky Gossamer
3. P7 Malkoff drop in (made at request for about $70.00)
4. Malkoff MC-E dropin ($125.)(not as effective as the P7)
5. Download's 18650 MC-E. This light is probably the best and the cheapest of them all. Total cost of the Download is $130.00

Would the Malkoff MC-E be good for filming? I had one, and I think I could see it flicker. That might show up on film?

How about the M60WF's?

dengdam

Newly Enlightened
whats the cheapest or most affordable light i can buy that can use a malkoff drop in?

anything with multi modes?

i am concerned about about pwm and flickering.

what has a floodier beam a malkoff or a zebralight?

i missed out on the warm zebralights. they told me in 2 weeks awhile back when i emailed them but then i see that someone posted that it would be pushed back till may.

im also thinking of getting a modded high cri light from sabrewolf or teknocowboy.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
whats the cheapest or most affordable light i can buy that can use a malkoff drop in?

anything with multi modes?

i am concerned about about pwm and flickering.

what has a floodier beam a malkoff or a zebralight?

Most affordable (thats still worthy of hosting the Malkoff) is the Ultrafire 503B. DX has them for $19. ebay seller HKequipment sells the Xenon version for $16 shipped. I have the latter and its a really good host for the $$$. The 7.2V incan OEM module is a really good one too. I use that in my SF-M2.

You'll have to use the large "-" contact spring though. Which isn't really a bad thing, since it alleviates the bezel gap condition that plagues the malkoff/6P combo. I like the 503B because it has very good thermal conduction with a little Al foil. I use it to host the DX MC-E and its an outstanding budget setup.

My 6P is being modded for 18650... and thus far I really don't think I am missing much using the 503B host. But I will know for sure when I get it back from the shop.

I played around with them both at a San Jose CPF meet. Zebralight is floodier. Its just an open emitter.

Hmm... the only way to get multi modes out of a Malkoff is to upgrade the tail-cap. Another member modded an M60 with a multi-mode driver, but... I don't think its going to be as reliable. I have had a small share of DC-DC board failures uding DX boards.

Last edited: