10.8v in a 3D Maglite

toadman

Newly Enlightened
O.K. here's the problem. I'm trying to get an Electrolumen Dropin to give a full 2,100 lumens in a 3D Maglite. In order to do that I need at least 10.8v.
No problem, I thought just get a 9aa to 3D adapter. Well no one has one.

The link for 5Mega is 2 years old & so far he hasn't answered my e-mails.
MDOCOD hasn't started making his yet. The cheap 3aa to D will have too much resistance. I put a ad in our WANTED to Buy section & no response.
Soo, is there any other way to get that 10.8 V out of a 3D package & where can I get it? Otherwise I'm going to get my drop-in & have no way
of powering it. Help!!

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD has Li-ion (LiCo) D cells; three of those should do it, if you know what you're doing to safely play with the big Li-ions. There's LiFePO4 cells in 32650 to 32700 sizes; you could get three of those with an extension -- lower capacity and less voltage, but safer and higher current capability.

Or just get a cheap 9xAA adapter and mod it (bypass the springs) for lower resistance -- not as good, but it'll be better than nothing.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Go ahead and use the cheap Kaidomain adapters, just add solder to each spring where it contacts/connects to drop their resistance notably. As cheap as they are, they're a fine "for now" solution.

Illum

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
PM sent in CPFM

notice that 1D-3AA, 2D-6AA, 2x18650 is all thats available, and no the 1D-3AA is not stackable

Mdocod's busy turning them out when hes not working serving pizzas in his neighborhood. Patience, thats all I can say:shrug:

Well, he has also been known to make requested sizes/configurations when asked. Simple PM never hurts...

toadman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I got an message from FIVEMEGA & am getting an adapter from him. Yippee!! Now I'm impatiently waiting for that 2,100 lumen drop-in from Electrolumens & hoping that the battery adapter & drop-in arrive at the same time. Otherwise I'm gonna be grinding my teeth like an alcoholic with a beer but no opener.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I got an message from FIVEMEGA & am getting an adapter from him. Yippee!! Now I'm impatiently waiting for that 2,100 lumen drop-in from Electrolumens & hoping that the battery adapter & drop-in arrive at the same time. Otherwise I'm gonna be grinding my teeth like an alcoholic with a beer but no opener.
or a flashaholic with a light but no battery holder...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
or a flashaholic with a light but no battery holder...

:crackup: i used three 3xAA - 1D adaptors that i got off KD in my 3D mag with a 6D bulb, the resistance added by the springs lowered the voltage enough that the bulb didnt go :poof:

Superdave

Enlightened
I made a quick spacer the other day to run 3 18650's in a 3D Mag (actually a Magcharger).. a tad over 12V out. Works great. :)