How to use every light and accessory I had on me in 20 minutes or less

auxcoastie

Newly Enlightened
Or how the "you'll never use all that crap" haters can bite me.

A couple of weekends ago I was assigned to the Medical Supply Team for the Baker 2 Vegas relay race. My shift went from 0630 to 2200 hours (theoretically), my edc is an SF E1B, my normal GO-BAG has my SureFire C2 with P60L and an SC1 with 6 spare CR123's and a P61. Since it is also my Coast Guard Crew Bag I keep a red and green Cyalume incase nav lights go out, etc. Since this was a special weekend that included night work I threw in my extra black G2 and spare Battuca holder with 4 extra CR-123s, FM35 Flip up red filter, and F28 Traffic Wand. When prepping for my trip someone said you'll never use all that, I wish they had been right.

Day started normal enough, used the C2 to check the rig before going on the course. Over the day used the C2 to check into the dark places in the RV's we were working with looking for stuff, etc. As night fell clipped the E1B to my hat brim to use the Port-A-Pottys that were on the course. All great uses. When it was time, we took our rig to the 2nd station and collected the med teams gear, C2 with Red Filter worked great for reading maps and checking in gear and looking into the containers.

Stage 4 is where I used everything. As we are closing down the stage an elderly gentleman had a heart attack. We are on a 2 lane road in the middle of the desert. No street lights for 100 miles each way. Out comes my G2 to my partner to hold for the paramedics, out comes the traffic wand to direct traffic after the ambulance and paramedic truck block one lane. Even though we had reflective vests the cyalumes got put on our hats so we my partner and I knew where each other were. Batteries died and got changed immediately. We lit up the IV site they started. We lit up the ground as they came down the foot high dirt step so they didn't fall. We hauled to the medbase where they flew the guy out.

We didn't directly work the guy but they worked on him a long time and the only light they had was a weak 3D Maglight, my C2, my G2 and another medics Streamlight stinger.

oronocova

Enlightened
Great story, and hey I really like the break-light idea for the navigation lights. I'm going to get some for my dad's boat just for this purpose. A couple white ones wouldn't hurt either.

Mdinana

Enlightened
Great story! So many times in the past I wanted a good flashlight, b/c the "scene" lights on the sides of ambulances are such crap. Alas, other than a Pelican M6, I never carried much. And now I'm out of the field.

But still, kudos for making their job a bit easier.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you didn't have any spare lights that didn't need to be used, you obviously need to carry at least 1 more. You almost got caught with too few.

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
Good ol B2V!

Guys from my Facility and Department ran in it.

Ill find out how my guys did and how my Department did.