New Surefire M952XM07 weapon mounted light

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I am currently in the process of replacing my Stolen rifle along with all of its toys. Today I received my new Surefire M952XM07 Mill. Univ. WL, 6 Volt, 1.47" Head, Throw-Lever Mount. There a few things I noticed compared to my other, which was approximately 3 years old.

First, I noticed the head has been slightly slimmed down or cut back to save weight. This is nothing all that new and I was aware of the change. I actually like the look of the new head but never really had a problem with the original.

Second, there is a metal star shaped piece between the bezel and the body. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I know my other M952XM07 did not have it. I just checked Surefire's web page, prior to posting this, and there picture does not show it either. I am not all that familiar with posting pics or I would provide some.

Any insight as to what the piece is or does.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am guessing you are refering to the LU60 adaptor.
It has always been on all the M951/2 lights.
Maybe you just didn't notice it.
A picture would help a TON!!!

Open an account at "Photobucket", its free and easy to do. I'm sure we could be more help if a picture was available.

BTW...if you don't mind sharing, how did your rifle get stolen?
Was your home broken into?
Thats terrible and I hope the *******(s) get caught and jailed..:shakehead

EDIT: does it look like this:
004-18.jpg

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
De Fab,

The pic you posted is of my old set-up. This star shaped ring is something I have never seen. This is completely new and I am usually very up to speed with new Surefire products..courteous of my fellow CPF's.

I will try to open Photobucket account and post some pics later. I think you guys will find it interesting.

As for my duty rifle, it was stowed in the rear of my personal vehicle. I NEVER leave any gear in there but on this particular day I got off of work after working 12 very long hours and was just too tired to unload all of my gear. I took my boys to the park for 45 minutes and that's all it took. :poof: Pryed my door handled and made away with some, but not all, of my gear! Just the items in my Pelican 1720 were in excess of $3,000. Huge mistake on my part! So I'm now in the process of trying to rebuild what I lost! A monumental undertaking to say the least.

No suspects or witnesses to date!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very much looking forward to the pics of this "star" part....and to seeing those *******s go to jail!

Sorry for your loss and I hope things work out for you.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It looks like DaFab's got you covered here. Just wanted to tell you sorry about your rifle getting stolen. That's terrible and I hope it's somehow recovered. Regarding the thieves, DaFab said it best.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The LU60 Lamp Module Adapter Collar is an evolving component - mostly in search of better ease of unscrewing it from both the body and bezel.
SureFire have tried a variety of styles and the latest version I've seen has 'notches' cut into the threads so the back of a knife or other thing can be slotted in and used to rotate the Lamp Module Adapter Collar as it is unscrewed from either the bezel or body.

I'm interested to see photos as it may well be a version of this we've not seen before...

Al :)

1wrx7

Enlightened
Wow, I've never seen a LU60 adaptor that looks like that. Can it be easily removed from the body and/or bezel by hand? Does the Malkoff fit without any modding?

EDIT Hi Al. Dash removed. Right after posting I edited the word head to bezel... didn't notice the dash. Thanks for clearing up what the Z19 was for too.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for sharing photos - that's just the latest style evolution of the LU60 Lamp Module Adapter Collar.
(BTW, there's no "-" between LU and 60 - it's simply LU60)

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Ok...so considering my old unit did not have this what, exactly, does it do?

Can it be easily removed from the body and/or bezel by hand? Does the Malkoff fit without any modding?

It is a bit of a pain to remove and I do not particularly care for it! The M60 does appear a bit tight but does work. Like usual I had to pull / stretch the spring outward but it seems to work just fine!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ok...so considering my old unit did not have this what, exactly, does it do?
Every M95 has featured an LU60. Every LU60 has had an adapter collar.
It's likely if you didn't realise your M95 had one that it was 'stuck' in the MH90 Millennium Universal WeaponLight Housing Body (hence the redesigns to make it easier to unscrew).

I have two versions:
SureFire%20LU60%2064.jpg

and:
al-lu60a.jpg

you can see it in use here:
al-u2i.jpg

The purpose of the Lamp Module Adapter Collar is to mate the Bezel to the Housing Body.
The general rule is:
Bezels screw onto flashlight bodies.
Lamp Modules screw into WeaponLight housings.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
So I assume the version I have must just be the newest version. I was happy with the original which was considerably easier to remove. It looks tough but I'm not totally sold on its ease of use!

Size15's

Flashaholic
So I assume the version I have must just be the newest version. I was happy with the original which was considerably easier to remove. It looks tough but I'm not totally sold on its ease of use!
The LU60 in your photos is the most current version I'm aware of.

Interesting you say that the original one was easier to remove, yet you also say your original M95 didn't have one which implies to me that it never unscrewed from the body [meaning you had to unscrew the TailCap to replace the batteries, and had access to the P60 Lamp Assembly when you unscrewed the bezel]

Al :thinking:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Size 15's,

To replace the batteries in my last M952 I did unscrew the tail end off. I do not remember that piece coming out of the body...but that's not to say that it wasn't removable. I just do not remember ever taking it out!

Does it really matter if the Malkoff M60 does not fit all the way into the LU60 adapter? By that I mean the M60 does not fit flush inside of the LU60 and stick out a little ways. I have pulled the spring to make it longer and to touch the battery and it seems to work just fine. Any suggestions or comments.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Size 15's,

To replace the batteries in my last M952 I did unscrew the tail end off. I do not remember that piece coming out of the body...but that's not to say that it wasn't removable. I just do not remember ever taking it out!
No worries! I guess it's a bit like watching somebody else using excel and discovering they know a whole different method for doing something - a keyboard shortcut, or whatever. Happens to me all the time and I consider myself quite a good excel user.

Does it really matter if the Malkoff M60 does not fit all the way into the LU60 adapter? By that I mean the M60 does not fit flush inside of the LU60 and stick out a little ways. I have pulled the spring to make it longer and to touch the battery and it seems to work just fine. Any suggestions or comments.
This is not my area of expertise. Perhaps others will be able to help you with this.

GreyShark

Enlightened

I currently have an M60 in an M952. I found it necessary to add a self made copper contact spring for reliable operation in addition to stretching the M60's contact spring. You may want to try slapping your light and testing the switch a bit to make sure everything's good on yours. Other than that no, it doesn't make a practical difference that the M60 doesn't sit flush in the LU60. There's enough contact that heat will be transmitted to the body of the light and weapon mounted lights are generally used intermittently anyway.

If your LU60 is like mine there's a little plastic clip thingy inside it that the M60 stops against. If you're really careful you can trim it down a bit to get the M60 to sit lower. If you're handy you might be able to come up with a custom made piece that performs the same function but has a lower profile.

My LU60 is the older hex style but I have an LU60A that is very similar though not identical to yours. I feel SureFire has really gone overboard with all their lightening cuts in the Millennium series weapon lights and this is one area that it's really not helping. The scalloped style adapter is a little easier to unscrew than the old hex style adapter, but only when the whole adapter and bezel assembly is removed from the light. Rather than removing metal SureFire should have added metal so the adapter collar protrudes a little past the bezel, then you could get a positive grip on it when removing the bezel.

The way it is right now if you want to remove the bezel to change the lamp you may just remove the bezel or the LU60 may come along for the ride. If the LU60 comes off with the bezel you now have to hold 3 parts in your two hands(bezel, lamp assembly, adapter) plus your batteries can now fall out of your light. It would be much nicer to be able to get a positive grip on the adapter itself so you could be 100% sure of removing what you want to remove, no more and no less.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
If your LU60 is like mine there's a little plastic clip thingy inside it that the M60 stops against. If you're really careful you can trim it down a bit to get the M60 to sit lower. If you're handy you might be able to come up with a custom made piece that performs the same function but has a lower profile.
Yes. It still has the little plastic collar inside. I will probably just leave it alone!

My LU60 is the older hex style but I have an LU60A that is very similar though not identical to yours. I feel SureFire has really gone overboard with all their lightening cuts in the Millennium series weapon lights and this is one area that it's really not helping. The scalloped style adapter is a little easier to unscrew than the old hex style adapter, but only when the whole adapter and bezel assembly is removed from the light. Rather than removing metal SureFire should have added metal so the adapter collar protrudes a little past the bezel, then you could get a positive grip on it when removing the bezel.

I tend to agree with you on going a bit overboard on the cuts. I'm not really sure I feel the cuts provide that much weight savings. I don't think it looks too bad but I kind of like the previous versions.

The way it is right now if you want to remove the bezel to change the lamp you may just remove the bezel or the LU60 may come along for the ride. If the LU60 comes off with the bezel you now have to hold 3 parts in your two hands(bezel, lamp assembly, adapter) plus your batteries can now fall out of your light. It would be much nicer to be able to get a positive grip on the adapter itself so you could be 100% sure of removing what you want to remove, no more and no less.

This is totally true! When you unscrew the bezel the LU60 DOES come along for the ride. Once the bezel is off it is very difficult to grasp comfortably. It is also very difficult to separate the bezel from the LU60. In my opinion this a poor design! I'm sure Surefire has plenty of quality engineers on staff to design something better than this! Is it functional...YES! Could it be better...HELL YES!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Policetacteam,
I tried to send you a message but your PM box is full.
If you decide you don't want the star shaped LU60, I would be willig to trade you the old hex style. Let me know if you are interested....and empty some of your PMs..:poke::grin2:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The reason why there are cut-outs in the threading is so one can slot in a screw driver or other stiff metal thing such as a metal rule or perhaps back of a strong blade to help unscrew the adapter collar from whatever component it is left in. One of mine stays in the MH90 Housing whereas the other stays in the "M2" bezel. Neither have the cut-outs in the threading :(

1wrx7

Enlightened
The reason why there are cut-outs in the threading is so one can slot in a screw driver or other stiff metal thing such as a metal rule or perhaps back of a strong blade to help unscrew the adapter collar from whatever component it is left in. One of mine stays in the MH90 Housing whereas the other stays in the "M2" bezel. Neither have the cut-outs in the threading :(

I'm with you Al... and I'll take it a little further.

Let's say your M952XM07 is mounted on your AR/M4/M16 and you're in a hostile area. Your batteries die. Most operators will have some sort of retaining system for the pressure pad... rubber tubing/bands, even velcro. With the XM you can unplug the PP and remove the tail to replace the cells. This wasn't as easy with the older PP tails that didn't have the removeable plug. When the LU60 comes off the MH90 body as one unit you can replace the cells easily and you don't have to worry about dropping the lamp itself since it's captive in the LU60. IMO it's also easier to access the front of the WL compared to the back when mounted on a rifle.

Concerning how difficult the LU60 can be to take apart... I think SureFire wants their Millenium WL's to be as rugged as possible. They see the worst conditions immaginable. Between external shock and thousands of rounds fired I think the LU60 is very tight for a reason. The cut out's provide a simple way to remove the bezel from the adaptor using a blade or any other thin flat piece of metal the operator my have, while keeping the assembly as solid as possible. This is all just speculation on my part and I could be wrong:confused: