Is this what your Nitecore D10 R2 Beam looks like?

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Wondering if all D10 R2's have the same beam characteristics, or if they vary. Mine seems very "ringy", with a thick dark band around the hot spot. Is this normal? In person, the beam doesn't look as good as the pic.

litetube

Enlightened
That's pretty much normal with the Cree in the Nitecore. I wish they would tweak the reflector a bit but maybe they are at the limits of what they can do in such a compact package?

In use it isnt that bad and the R2 is noticeably briter than the GD emitters that some prefer , even in the side spill with the rings it is briter than the GD which is more valuable to me than a smooth spill

wadus

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I've never noticed it until you pointed it out and, honestly, you won't notice it either once you're more than a couple feet from what you're pointing it at. It really doesn't make that much difference unless all you want it for is white-wall beam shots. :shrug:

fenixflashaholic0537

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about spending my hard earned money ont the r2 version of that light. But after seeing that gigantic halo, I think I'll take my money elsewhere.:thumbsdow

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
In use it isnt that bad.....
Maybe, maybe not. All my Nitecores & Fenix lights have beams like that. I didn't think it bothered me either till I obtained and started EDC'ing a LiteFlux LF3XT. It has a nice smooth beam from spot to spill. If I now go back to using something with a ringy beam, it bothers me.

I think I've been spoiled. :ohgeez:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a light for white wall beam shots, tape the lens with "Scotch tape" or buy a light with Seoul Led.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
My nitecores don't have that ringy beams. The EX10 was the smoothest from the factory, but the NDI and Extreme are very nice after getting Q3 5As :grin2:

oldpal

Enlightened
Maybe, maybe not. All my Nitecores & Fenix lights have beams like that. I didn't think it bothered me either till I obtained and started EDC'ing a LiteFlux LF3XT. It has a nice smooth beam from spot to spill. If I now go back to using something with a ringy beam, it bothers me.

I think I've been spoiled. :ohgeez:

I have a D10 and also an EX10, both with a GD+ and neither has a beam like that.

Hugh

makuyo

Newly Enlightened
hmm... comparing with my D10..:p
DSC01161.jpg

ops~ forgot to mention, its a Q5 btw.. love the white tint...

Last edited:

damn_hammer

Enlightened
hmm... comparing with my D10..:p
DSC01161.jpg

ops~ forgot to mention, its a Q5 btw.. love the white tint...

So, that's modded right? It would be nice if they could be bought looking like that. I'm not up to breaking into the head of my new light, and swapping it myself. Although, it might be worth it based on that pic ... nice.

makuyo

Newly Enlightened
to tell the truth, i did pop up the head once or twice before...
wanted to have a good look at the led and driver, thats all...

my D10 is still using the original led which is the Q5...:poke:
actually my NDI really have the same beam pattern like your D10 R2...

i've read before someone mention that the NDI and D10 having the same beam pattern.. but still cant figure out why mine aren't the same:confused:

but seriously, in actual usage.. i never even bother the rings and dark halo..
my Nitecores still serves me well...:D

btw, if you try to unscrew the driver a little bit, leaving a tiny gap between the led and the reflector u might get a much smoother transition from spot to spill but in turn with a slight larger hotspot (good for short range though), the dark halo will be thinner... give it a try~!!

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses. Wanted to get a feel for if my expectations were out of line. I don't think they are. The rings are noticeable in the outdoors as well, not just white-walling. I'm not meaning to ding Nitecore. Based on this forum many people are happy with what the received. It's just that what one people receives may not be the same as the next.