Death

Random Guy

Enlightened
I got back about an hour ago from a funeral. It was from a friend of mine who I haven't really talked to since 7th grade (I'm a sophomore in high school now). He had killed himself on March 28.

He was an Eagle Scout who got his Silver Palm. He was in the Order of the Arrow, too.

Why do people do things like this? 16 is too young to die.

For almost 2 years, I never said "hi" to him when I passed him in the hall on my way to class. I regret that now.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's terrible news. Sorry to hear that bud.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that Random Guy. He was way too young :(

:( Depression... the worst kind of disease :(
Yes it is.

It's the kind of thing that when you've been there and come back from it, you never ever want to go back.

It's also something that is really difficult for someone that has never experienced true depression to really understand.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I am very sorry to hear this. I can say that because of my religious beliefs, I am comforted in knowing, that his family will be with him again.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about this Random Guy. I think there are some questions that exist which there are just no easy explanations for. I would suggest that when a person is feeling an absence of love in their life that it must feel terribly desperate. That's not to say that he wasn't loved, only that perhaps he didn't feel it or maybe wasn't aware of his value. It's very sad no matter the reasons at work.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to tell man.

I've lost friends who wanted to be depressed and some that really were.

It's hard to know you let someone slip through and didn't catch it but it gets complicated when you feel the anger that they could go out like that.

All you can do is take care of yourself, lend a hand when you have an extra, and quickly forget about what you've lost because dwelling on stuff like this will get you down for too long.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always sad when we lose someone but at such a young age and by his own hand, it is tragic. It saddens me that there are so many people out there in the same position and no one to help them. My condolences and my prayers go out the the family.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been down the suicide road. When you lose hope there isn't much reason to live. Hard to know about your friend without walking in his shoes. Don't blame yourself, just try to remember him in a good light. Praying helps alot. Time will help.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people have some point in their lives where depression or other things make the pain of dying seem more acceptable than the pain of living. Some deal with it and some do not, plain & simple. If you know someone in a situation all you can do is let someone else know (and that is terribly important). It shows that you care more about that person. Never take a comment like that lightly. Some people even offer to go along to counseling with the person who is suffering and sometimes that helps, too.

One thing that can be hard to deal with is when someone who is suicidal becomes very relaxed and happy about life. Sometimes, especially when that change is sudden, it means that they have made a decision. Sometimes that decision is to die. It makes the shock even worse, but it happens often.

Sometimes there simply is nothing that could have been done and it takes time to realize that and to accept it.

I won't go into whether or not it is ever right for someone to kill themselves. To me that argument is pointless because the person who is suicidal is the one who will make the decision regardless of what I think.

Better to always try to be as good a person as you can be to everyone and to be as good a friend as you can to those who are your friends. Anyone who spends their time being a jerk is wasting the time that they have on this planet.

Always better to remember good things about someone no matter how they died. It makes their life more worthwhile and eases your pain, too. It's one of the reasons why I often propose a toast when I'm out with people -- the one I say is, "To absent friends."

Sorry for your loss.

Random Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and respond to it. I'm still kind of in disbelief about it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Some folks just get to the point where they truly believe that no one in the world actually cares about them. They look at the road ahead, and they don't see any hope or any chance that their lives will get better. Just the opposite, they see things as getting worse.

Sorry to hear about what happened to him.