Opalec New Beam worth the $25 ? anything better?

jtice

Flashaholic
I am thinking about getting an Opalec New Beam for one of my MiniMags. Is it worth the $$$ ? Is there a better option?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Opalec New Beam worth the $25 ? anything bett

Lots of people love the Newbeam. I personally don't think I'd buy one because it's not all that bright, and I see a CMG Ultra as more compact and more cost effective, though even less bright than the Opalec. The PT Attitude is another possibility. If I wanted a Minimag mod, I'd go for a Madmax or Badboy, which are waaay brighter than the Newbeam. The Newbeam will give far longer runtime though.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Newbeam is nice. It's bright enough for a most work and has a killer 10 hr runtime.

The main alternatives are Wayne's Badboy and MadMax sandwiches.

I have some Newbeams and a BB400 sandwich. I'll say that I really liked the Newbeam, but loved the BB400. It's just way bright. I think I'd even look at the BB500.

That said, there is a serious difference in runtime. 10 hrs vs 1h hr. I think they both have their place.

BTW, don't forget the other accessories! Get a glass lens and Kroll tailcap switch! :)

-john

Catapult

Enlightened

The PT Attitude doesn't come close. It has annoying spill light to the rear, and it isn't regulated. The Opalec in a MiniMag rules. Much smaller, aluminum instead of plastic, 10 hour constant brightness with additional hours of declining brightness. There are also a long line of accessories for the MiniMag.

Buy it. Buy the sandwiches too. Worth every mAh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whether or not you should get it depends on what run time you want. It is very good for long run time.

jtice

Flashaholic

Ive seen the newbeam to buy.

Where can I buy the badboy, and madmax?

I might buy the newbeam for runtime, and one of the others for brightness.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

I might buy the newbeam for runtime, and one of the others for brightness.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I think this is the CPF moto.... "buy them all"

:)

-john

jtice

Flashaholic

So,,, the Madmax Plus module Q3 is the brightest one?

I think I'll get the newbeam for runtime, and what ever one is supposed to be the brightest.

What will the average runtime on the brightest one be?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I understand, the Madmax modules don't regulate quite as strongly, causing a bit more slop off in light output over time. However, they will have a bit longer runtime, but at low output.

The BadBoy modules regulate more strongly, causing a bit less runtime, but at an almost constaint output level.

The modules typically come in a 400mA and 500mA output, where the larger, the brighter.

I'm not familiar with the Q3, but it looks like it is a special, higher quality LED. I suspect the LED is not brighter, but simply whiter. It looks like this adds about $10 to the price.

So, the MM + Q3 is the normal Madmax module, with a special LED.

I'd recommend a Badboy 500mA, and add Q3 if you want to go whole hawg. Maybe someone else could comment on the Q3.

-john

jtice

Flashaholic

The site says the Q3 is 700mAh.

They have a 600mAh one also.

I think you are right about the Q ones, being better led's

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would ask what you want to use it for...I like bright lights but that is not always optimum. At times...I find a dim light serves me best.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I didn't realize he was selling a 600 and 700mA module with a 1W LED.

So yes, it looks like the MM + Q3 should be the brightest.

The BB400 is actually quite bright, I would probably stick with the BB500 to stay within my comfort zone.

Perhaps someone else who is more familiar with these specific modules could comment on them?

Thanks,

-john

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

" I would ask what you want to use it for...I like bright lights but that is not always optimum. At times...I find a dim light serves me best."

JohnSidneyB, isn't that why we have so many lights?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened

The most flexible and capable setup is Minimag w/ MadMax+Q3. Mine is a small amount brighter than my BadBoy 400Q3 and can be dimmed to your desired level. I see the following key advantages to the MadMax series, features that are not found together in any other option:

-- Highly efficient - an average 88%, which IMO is close enough to direct drive.
-- Completely adjustable from barely visible to full 700 mA brightness. You can choose your own favorite brightness/runtime balance.
-- Will regulate (within battery output limits) down to 0.8 volts input. This allows the MadMax to fully exhaust batteries or run on a single AA.

paulr

Flashaholic

700 mA is pretty serious overdrive for a 1W Luxeon. I think that much current is intended for a 5W, or maybe an intermittently used 1W with very good heat sinking (maybe better than one of those sandwiches can get in a Minimag). Even the 500 is serious overdrive. All of these probably work much better on NiMH batteries than on alkalines, because of their high current drains.

I have the general impression that BB400 + Q3L is the favorite combination of a lot of the connoiseurs here. I personally would have a slight preference for a Madmax, for adjustability, better battery usage, and maybe a little more warning that the battery was running down, at the expense of non-constant output level.

jtice

Flashaholic

Wow, I didnt know that the MadMax was adjustable.

How is this done? Im betting I have to take the light aprt to do it right?

Well, as of now, im leaning toward the MadMax 500-700mA.

For the most part, I really prefer a fully regulated light. -- Im confused... I thought the BadBoy was more regulated than the MadMax? Yet you say the MadMax has better battery usage.

The MadMax is somewhat regualted right? I have lights that are 2/3 their peak output in less than an hour.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

jtice, you would love the Mad Maj adj. Almost Sure Fire E2, E2e flat run time with KL1 led head. KL1 does essentially 4 hours flat run time. My Mad Max adj. does 3 1/2+hrs. with two 2000 mAh AA Powerex NiMH. My KL1 runs on two 123 Li cells, 6 volts. MM is brighter than KL1. Bill

paulr

Flashaholic

The Madmax has a small trimpot that you can adjust the output with. Yes it involves taking the light apart and using tiny tools. It's not something you'd normally do except once when you first set up the light. It's more like a configuration option than a user adjustment.

The Madmax is semi-regulated so the output gets smaller as the batteries run down. It will keep running til there's basically no juice left in the batteries. The fully regulated BadBoy, the way I understand it, can't run once the battery level is too lowto maintain regulated output, so it conks out with some energy left in the batteries, that could still run a Madmax (but with dimmer output).

Are folks really running these boards at seriously over 500 mA in minimags with 1w leds? No problems with the leds burning out or degrading? I'd really have thought that those current levels were reserved for 5w leds.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Paulr, my MM+ gets warm, but today I ran it at 1/2 hour intervals, using 2000mAh Maha's. Some where between 21/4 hours, when I did a spot check and 21/2 hours it dropped below flat run brightness, batteries were at 1.14 volts, with a nice beam if somewhat reduced. I used a basic light meter to check, no high end test here. Light at 1/2 hour was warm, but body of light was sinkling heat. Bill