Mini Mag AA Drop in's Vs. Moding???

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Well I've been searching all day and reading this and that,.... it looks like most of the reviews of the Drop in modules are all at least a year old,.. and I was wondering if there were any better/more Lumens options out there now for the Mini Mag AA Light?

The most common ones that I'm seeing right now are these:

TerraLUX TLE-5EX MiniStar2 Extreme

Mini Pro AA Kit

Any other options out there right now for the Mini Mag AA lights?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The brightest mod that I know of is the Auroralight hotwire mod, but that's neither LED nor runs on normal batteries.

You can build/get a pill for the Minimag(replaces the switch) that can be brighter then the terralux drop-in but that would cost more and be more complex if you are building it yourself.

I'd get a lower output longer runtime drop-in such as the SmJLED one and use the minimag as more of a back up light and buy another 2 AA light.

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
I checked out that Auroralight hotwire mod,.. that looked pretty awesome! .. .might be a bit on the pricey side for a mini mag though (??) ..

"You can build/get a pill for the Minimag(replaces the switch) that can be brighter then the terralux drop-in but that would cost more and be more complex if you are building it yourself." - DO TELL PLEASE :D

I'm pretty handy with an iron and small parts so the labor is not the problem at all,.. Just need people to take me under their wing a bit and show me the ropes as it were ;)

Thanks agian!
Rick

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
Ok... I've been reading over this stuff for the past couple of days.... ... a LOT to soak in that's for sure!!!.... :sick2:

I'm thinking I'd like to do the 26K MCD LED mod to one,.. and then something a bit more drastic on the other one,... (Run time is not important on the later :devil: )

Is anybody selling the 5 LED mod as a dropin or a kit? ... I'm sure I can do everything,.. but time is another issue...It'd be nice to just pickup up the parts,...especially like the "Connecting Board" ?? ..

Can someone also post a link to one of those 5 LED Chinese AAA lights that will work as a good "donor" light?? ... I've been looking on DX and what not,.. but I'm just not sure exactly which one would be the best?

Thanks again !!

Rick

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you're in the US, you can probably just go to Walmart or something and pick up a 3 5mm LED drop-in by Niteize.

As for the LED, you don't have to get a light to get the LEDs, just get the LEDs. You can get 10 of them from DX for $1.53. There are also many other places that sell them. As for the XX mcd rating, that's just how intense the hotspot is supposed to be. Tecnically a 30 mcd 5mm LED can be much dimmer then a 5 mcd LED.

---
(not just to you) I also dislike how people use the phrase "Chinese lights". That's like assuming that all lighting products from China are low quality, dim, and cheap. To me that's also like saying that a "American" car is a heavy piece of inefficient junk. I can see why it is used, but how much quality can a light costing less then $10 have?
---(If you don't like the above statement and is about to respond harshly, please rethink what you were about to post and make it more acceptable for a family forum)

Last edited:

WERNER1

Newly Enlightened
No problem with your post :) ... I was just quoting directly from Auroralite's Dummies thread .... I thought that was the common "Name" for one of those lights around here :) ... But I'm referring to the 5 LED mod for the AA mini mag.. Referenced here:

http://img282.echo.cx/my.php?image=TLE5vs5ledMod.jpg

http://img282.echo.cx/my.php?image=TLE5vs26k5ledmod.jpg

I mean I have no problem dropping the 20 bucks on a TLE-5 drop in,.. .but didin't know if there were better options in that price range..

The sandwich ones appear to be smokin',... but 75 bucks might be a bit steep for an 8 dollar light (??) ..

I'm probably going to get a Lambda kit for my "High Power" AA mod :) .... 25 bucks and some time ... should be fun :)

Rick