"Shorty" - Lego SF / Malkoff / Fivemega build

Shagbd

Newly Enlightened
This is a little light I have just recently finished using various parts.

I have been carrying a E2DL for a while and really like it, however I find the length to be a bit much for comfortable daily carry, I wanted something smaller and brighter. So i decided to just build my own.

I have been a longtime fan of Gene Malkoff's work, and his drop its are nothing short of amazing.
I just recently saw his M30 drop in that works off a single cell!
Also, Lighthound had some fivemega single cell bodies.
I just added a Surefire 6PD head and a Z58 clickie tailcap!
Also, I added some GITD rights for locating, and a Novatac pocketclip.

Gene says this drop in puts out 235 lumens.... well.. it definantly outshines my E2DL

file.php

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool!

The runtime is likely a bit short. I see the advantages of of E2DL as better runtime, and 2 levels. For me the single level light just does not make a good EDC. I suppose if one uses it most in one application the 1 level may be fine. You said you needed BRIGHT which is a already a little different than what I think most people are looking for as a primary requirement in an EDC.

Of course if you're packing more than one light, it's great if one of them is a blaster.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
That clip is awesome on a Surefire 6P. It is stiff and I can even wear it with workout panths (not to the gym of course).

The light looks really good and don't forget you could always use a Surefire primary in that host which would give you a lot more runtime.:twothumbs

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I have been a longtime fan of Gene Malkoff's work, and his drop its are nothing short of amazing.

file.php

Hi,

I have a similar build using a Surefire 6P head, Z59 clickie tailcap and a fivemega 16340 black body tube from lighthound. Initially i put in my Malkoff M30 but i noticed that the bezel would not screw all the way down onto the body tube, there was quite a large gap, around 3mm, so i took it out and inserted a Dereelight 3SD R2 P60 module which screwed down further with only a 0.5mm gap. I'm using this with a SMO reflector to make a small thrower. However, i wish that the M30 fit into this properly. The runtime using an AW 16340 is 26 minutes on high, and that's not bad as i plan on using this as a back up.

Please could you let me know if your bezel screws all the way down when using your Malkoff M30?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please could you let me know if your bezel screws all the way down when using your Malkoff M30?

My M30/FM 1xcr123 has a bigger gap than any of my other 6P style hosts + malkoffs - you are not alone!

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's sweet. :thumbsup:

I like the 1 x CR123a format, and am hoping to do a Surefre or L2M lego with one of Mr. Malkoff's M30s sometime this year.

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
About the novatac pocket clip, who sells them and is there a particular model number that I need to look for? I want to try one on a 6P

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "3P" is cool! Mine is somewhat similar, except I wanted a lower profile bezel ring. I've got a Malkoff P7 module I run in this (alternately with an M30). Great little blaster. Not my EDC, however, due to bulky size and I prefer multi-level light much of the time. These stubby little punchers are a lot of fun, though, and do come in handy!

MP7_FM3P.jpg

Shagbd

Newly Enlightened
Nice nice!
well, im not worried about runtime, since its a rechargable.....

As for multi level stuff..... well...My E2DL that i EDCed was one of those first run single stage ones anyway :)

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
This is a little light I have just recently finished using various parts.

I have been carrying a E2DL for a while and really like it, however I find the length to be a bit much for comfortable daily carry, I wanted something smaller and brighter. So i decided to just build my own.

Gene says this drop in puts out 235 lumens.... well.. it definantly outshines my E2DL

file.php

Hi shagbd,

Please could you tell me where you bought your glo in the dark rings?

Thanks,

Andy

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I have a similar arrangement and I have the same gap between body and bezel - I've never had any problems with the overall function of my lego configuration.

-Trevor

Superdave

Enlightened
With the SF clickies you can remove the very end and put the Novatac clip in there.. then reinstall the end. I mention this because i have a 1 cell build similar to yours at home and it moved the clip back so that it wasn't on the bezel.

you might lose waterproofness (teflon tape would fix that) but i've found that it works out rather well.

6PDL-Clip.jpg

Nice build though :)

Superdave

Enlightened
I like the clip, Dave. Is the tailcap a Z59?

Yep. :)

I'll post a pic of the 1 cell later on...

*edit..

Not as pretty as the OP's but it works. :)

3PlegoClipped.jpg

*edit, i just realized that the body wasn't screwed all the way down in the pic.. oh well.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am building such a 1x123 device. Trying to decide which module to use:

The choices are:

1. P60 'battery vampire' with Nichia GS - nice tint, great runtime, 24+ hours on 1x18650 cell with lumens about 2 times of Gerber Infinity Ultra. Not sure what the runtime would be on fresh 123 but it drains them down pretty low.

2. Malkoff M60LL - it runs well on 2xAA, think about 40 hours on Alkalines out of regulation so I assume it will run on 1x123. Should be pretty dim, under 50 lumens, but usable. Will report on runtime. Another, more current possibility would be M61LL, with an even longer runtime and arguably more useful beam profile.

3. Malkoff M31LL - not sure what the runtime would be, estimate 4 hours. Should be the brightest of these with shortest runtime.