Looking for Cree LED conversion head for 9P

glockstan

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire 9p original and I'm looking for Cree LED conversion head, does any one know where can I get them , thanks

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have a Surefire 9p original and I'm looking for Cree LED conversion head, does any one know where can I get them , thanks
There are a huge number of LED drop-ins ('P60 sized') to replace your P90 incan light assembly if I understand you correctly. Most of them can live quite happily in the higher-voltage 9P configuration with 3x123 primaries for 7.5 volts under load, or 2x17500 3.7v rechargeables for 7.4 volts under load. The Malkoff drop-ins are the top of the line and well worth the ~$55 list price, but there are quite a number of cheaper ones that have gotten some good reviews as well. Can you provide your considerations (cost, flood vs throw, output/runtime)?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Mr unenlightened, the 9P and other similar flashlights take what is called the P60 or D26 type drop in LED modules. the very first thread with a sticky at the top of the page where you posted this is like the phone book listing equivalent of all of them, its called the "P60 sized led drop-in (part 3)" and has links to even more.

As my dad used to say, if it was a snake it would have bitten you cause its right under your nose.

then there are other posts about what the brightness levels are of various modules or LED flashlights to compare. And a whole lot more covering just about every drop in there is. Read whats out there and learn to use the search engine.

Your question is only been covered by about 10,000 previous posts.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As said before, look at the P60 drop-ins stickie at the top of the LED flashlight section. Look for ones that can handle 9v or more if you'll use 3 CR123s, and 12.6v or more if you'll be using 3 RCR123s.

:welcome:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire makes a conversion head with a SSC P4 emitter, the KL5A.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/sukl5ledcohe.html
I don't believe they make a black anodized version.

If you go to OpticsHQ.com, and type "TLS" in the search box up top, there will be a "TLS TX3 Cree Q5 Turbo LED Conversion Head" that will fit when paired with the "M to C Series adapter".

There may be others I don't know about that use a Cree, but I think for the most part you'll be getting into custom modder territory and lots of $$.

The most common upgrades for Surefire Classic series lights that use the same size bezel as your 9P are the P60(same size as the P90 the 9P uses) drop-in variety, which are not conversion heads, but offer a wide variety of options at prices that are usually pretty reasonable.
There is a list up top, and searching the LED or reviews forum might help you find out more about some of them. Malkoffs are a favorite for single-level LEDs, because of their quality, and the maker posts here, plus gives uncompromising support for his products. These are what I use most of the time. I don't know much about the multi-level dropins, having only had a couple, and finding myself preferring single level lights.
:welcome:

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Hi and :welcome:

There are many different P60 drop ins for your Surefire 9P. However, you will need a higher voltage one otherwise you will fry the circuit and make the module useless. I would suggest the Dereelight 3SM P60 module found on the Dereelight website. This module has three levels of light high/med/low.

If you require a simple on/off you can buy the 1SM module. I prefer the 3SM with a smooth reflector, as this will give you more throw to illuminate objects in the distance. I find the low mode good for reading and other close up applications, the med mode is good for around camp without blinding everyone. This module costs $35 for the Q5 LED or $41 for the R2.