Fenix lights w/9 lumen low - is this low enough for you?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently, I am discovering the most overall utility and value in lights with:

• variable output (multi-level or even better, continuous)
• very low low (perhaps 1 to 3 lumens, or so?)
• ability to run on Li-Ions (if possible) as well as primaries

These features define most of the new lights that I consider adding to my existing set of lights.

I don't have any Fenix lights and because they are so very popular around here, keep thinking I really should get one to see what the excitement is all about.

I see Fenix has a few models which go down to 9 lumens (LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30) and am curious if those of you who have these lights find that 9 lumens is as low as you would like it to be for, say, navigating a dark bedroom just enough to see your way around without being so bright as to possibly disturb people sleeping.

I suppose I could just buy one and find out for myself, but before doing so, wanted to find out what other owners thought about this.

I have a few lights that go down to very low levels (not sure of the lumen output, but they are very low - LF3XT, D10, etc.). So, is the Fenix 9 lumen low plenty low enough to your preference?

And... what Fenix would you recommend to me?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
its low enough , i like it .... start out with a L2D or LD20 since you have a single AA/cr123 you need a 2aa :)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
When I think about low lows I always remind myself to ponder the type of beam I am getting these low lows from.

1 lumen of pure flood looks a lot different than 1 lumen focused to a small point.

I like a floody low of 7 lumens and a focused low of 2 lumens.

scottaw

Enlightened
None of my Fenix lights low is low enough not to disturb someone sleeping. I use my NT on it's lowest, a fraction of a lumen, and that's almost too bright. You'd be amazed how bright one lumen is to dark adjusted eyes.

325addict

Enlightened
I've got a P1D Q5 and the low is still 16 Lumens which is WAAAYYY too much in complete darkness.
I have a SF L1 LumaMax also, which pumps out 10 Lumens on low, which is too much too! That's the reason I'm looking for an E1L, this one has a low of 3 Lumens.

I think the new SF T1A Titan should be the right one for us both ;)
It starts at 1 Lumen.

The light of the P1D however, is a very, very good mix of spill and throw. I went into the woods with it, along with 7 other flashlights, and this little one was the surprise in the field!
The L1 has a much, much tighter beam (for which it was designed, and they succeeded very well) but proves quite useless in the woods due to this beam. There's hardly any spill. On the other hand, the L1 makes for a perfect inspection light for electronics. Never had a better one!

Bottom line: it just depends what you would like to have.

And remember, if you want to use a Fenix in complete darkness and don't want to disturb others, you should choose one from a SINGLE point of view: it should START WITH the lowest setting!! Starting at med or high means that anybody in the room will be awake instantly :sssh:

For example, an LD10 Q5 does switch on at 9 Lumens.

But may I give you some hint? Why not use that old fashioned Solitaire? It is cheap, and throws out a few Lumens of yellowish light, that isn't so disturbing as the bright white LED-light. I have one ready for use at night, right next to me when I'm in bed... this little one is always critisized here for having no light-output at all, but.... in this case that's a desirable feature :hitit:

Timmo.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timmo... I have an L1 as well and agree that 10 lumens is way too much for a good low.

I'm really interested in Fenix simply because I don't have one, but I certainly don't NEED another light. I have several lights that offer amazing versatility and range down to super low output... so I'm already well covered in that type of light (LF3XT, Jet III M, D10, ConneXion X2). Perhaps I should be looking at another, different Fenix model, as they don't seem to make a light with a low enough low (for me) and continuously variable output.

Come on Fenix... with all the great models you make, it's past time for something that will compete with the LF3XT's of the world. How about a light that does down to 1 lumen with variable output?

The LF3XT is my favorite all around light, anyone have any idea how many lumens it puts out on min? I would guess less than 1 lumen? I quite often use it at that level, or ramp it up just a touch to, perhaps, 3-4 lumens or so. Continuous ramp is a wonderful thing... and so is a super low low.

But back on topic.... I still can't decide which Fenix model I should start with, SO, if there isn't a Fenix which will give me a super low.... for a guy who doesn't really "NEED" another light... what's the coolest, most wonderful Fenix to just "have"?

Last edited:

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I have fenix L1D CE emitting about 15 on low which seem blinding at night time use. I think 9 lumens won't be significantly lower. Minimum setting on my Nitecore D10 seems nice and my Liteflux LF2 Cree can go even lower. If you must get a fenix light that could go real low, you need a Fenix E01, but that is still quite bright.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
While there are a number of dedicated ultra low output level lights available, most times I want my low output in the same flashlight that I can also get an instant bump to high if need by, or ideally, a continuous ramp to dial in the perfect setting for the task at hand. Unfortunately, it looks like I can't get that from Fenix at this time. Too bad, though, because Fenix is such a popular and well respected brand. Perhaps in time they will offer models with more versatile output.

tygger

Enlightened
Well the plus side is that Fenix output levels seem to be well spaced and quite useful (at least for me). Its also nice to know exactly what the runtime will be on each level and the lack of customization (ramping, triple clicks, etc.) make it novice user friendly. Thats handy when loaning a light to non-flashaholics. I do agree with you that the low is not really low enough, but then again, what a perfect excuse to get another light. :naughty:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my case I have many light options for a night light. My Nitecore D10, for example has a great low for nightlight. I don`t need another nightlight.

Myself...I would like around 15 lumen for low. Why so hi? Because I want it bright enough to do most tasks as well as give me great run time.

If the Fenix lights had 4 levels I would prefer a super low. 2...15...100 and blast it. But they don`t...only 3 levels.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
This might sound crazy to those who want a lower low: I have a P1D Q5 and as mentioned the low is at 16 lumens. If I need less light (e.g so I would not wake up my sleeping wife), I simply wrap my fingers around the light and allow just a crack of light to shine through. :twothumbs

Granted this is not ideal for long-time usage, but it sure works very well when I need it for short burst of ultra low lumens. Of course, for me, I use the primary mode like 90% of the time, and the need for an ultra low mode would be like maybe 1% of the time. It all depends on your needs/usage I guess.

scottaw

Enlightened
It sounds like you would really like a Novatac/Ra, both have really low low's, and really bright high's, and you can set them anywhere inbetween, and you can decide which it comes on to, kind of an all around covering for what you want.

And you said you wanted a really cool fenix "just to have" get an LD01 and put it on your keychain. It's an amazingly bright light, in a tiny package, and you'll always have it.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello ,fenix pd 20 imho got one myself good starting point as you can buy extra bodies for different battery configurations ie 1 aa or 2 aa or 1 cr 123 and you get 180 lumens so boot on turbo or 9 lumens on low from a package that fits in the palm of your hand . I also have the 1aa body for those occasions when you get caught short of cr 123 batteries you can get aa batteries anywhere . Good luck .cliff

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it low enough for everything? No

Is it low enough for a good general purpose light/EDC? Yes.

If you use a light with completely dark adapted eyes, then you might want something lower or try red.

If I had it and nothing else, could I make do... certainly.

travelinman

Enlightened
Make do???? MAKE DO!!!! You sound like my wife :poke:

Something no one else has mentioned in this thread yet that I am considering for my "next" light (Olight M20 :D ) is a diffuser. Some form of white plastic thingy that will compression fit over the head of a flashlight, that dims it down even more and converts it into a floody.

I, like many here like a light that will do everything!!! So when I'm in bed at a hostal while travelling, and want to read the guidebook to see what we should visit tomorrow, I can do it without keeping swmbo awake.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it low enough for everything? No

Is it low enough for a good general purpose light/EDC? Yes.

If you use a light with completely dark adapted eyes, then you might want something lower or try red.

If I had it and nothing else, could I make do... certainly.

same.

it's not low enough. hurts with dark adapted eyes. but they have a red filter adapter that helps.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been spoiled by lights like the Proton Pro, Photon Freedom, and LF3XT. The Fenix lights seem a bit too high. I wish their lows were closer to 3-5 lumens.

Geoff

BurlyEd

Newly Enlightened
You forgot the Fenix light w/9 lumen low flashlight that I just ordered:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2876135&postcount=114

TA30 has a mechanical revolving dimmer system that provides:
9 lumens for 115 hours
60 lumens for 25 hours!!!?
225 lumens for 3.5 hours
230 lumen strobe for 7 hours

Admittedly, it is not very pocket friendly due to its 200mm X 35mm dimensions, 200 grams weight and spikey bezel, but it looks pretty cuddley to me. This will be my first Fenix other than a E01.

:tsk: :buddies: