Modding DX light

mrQQ

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've been lurking around for quite some time now, playing with different lights, Mag legos etc.

Now I want to try some soldering action :)

I found this light: sku 18303

If I'd be able to replace the emitter with a nice Warm tint Q3 (or alike) and with 2-3 mode driver, it would make a very nice light!

So my question is: what emitter would you recommend for the light, and what driver board?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a 3-mode version of that light that comes in 18650 for like, 5 bucks more (plus cost of batteries/charger). I'm waiting for my q3 5a to come in. emitter in that light is on a standard sized star and is pushed down onto the ledge it sits in by a steel sheet with a hole punched in it.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
do you have link to it?

Try DX 14450
DX lets you sort lights by battery type. When I do that I seem to find more lights than I do any other way. Their regular search doesn't always find everything.
For emitters, I really like the Q3-5A. I've been putting those in all my lights.
I have not yet found a driver I like. I want a three level driver that lets me program all three levels and that always comes on in the first level. The Jetbeam I.B.S. driver is my absolute favorite interface, but I can't find any bare drivers that work like it.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voltage ?

4.2 or 8.4 , not much in the way of drivers for 8.4v , been waiting a good 6 weeks for DX to get one .

Plenty of 4.2 Volt drivers about , try KaiDomain , they dont keep you waiting so long , I got a buck boost driver , it's said to keep a constant current to the LED .

KD: ProductId=5313

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I got mine off of kd, search for WonDer (I know, weird, but that's all I remember from the name of the product because it was so weird...wun-DURRRR)

Ok, I think mine is KD sku 5614