Nite Ize IQ switch for C/D cell Maglights?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering why this has never been developed? Would be great to extend run-time on these larger Maglights once a LED module is added to the light. Any idea if there is one planned or something similar to cut output to 75%/50%/25% in a similar product?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
In order for this to work, the general public must be able to take out the switch and swap in the other one. Most people probably don't even know that the Maglite switch is removable.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can change the batteries, I would think the general public can change a tailcap. The IQ switch would be integrated into a new metal screw on tailcap. Is it just R&D issues why they haven't made anything like this? Seems like this would be way more practical for C and D Maglights seeing that they use more expensive cells than the ubiquitous AA MiniMags.

AKDoug

Newly Enlightened
You can do this with an AW soft start. You can get them here or here. They have 30% 60% 100% and flashing modes, but they replace the stock switch not the tail cap.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooops I forgot the C/D Maglites have the switch near the bezel not the tail. Anyways those are Incans not LEDs and $75!!!! I was thinking more along the lines of the Nite Ize equivalent price wise and function.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weird thing is there are still flashaholics still using incans in 2009???? A thousand till zero we're going to party like it's 19_73....

AKDoug

Newly Enlightened
Weird thing is there are still flashaholics still using incans in 2009???? A thousand till zero we're going to party like it's 19_73....

To each his own. Why do you care if other people still use incans? It is there choice. And buy the way, I have just as many LED lights as I do incans.

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's not that weird at all, when you consider the availability and efficiency of high-CRI LEDs, the lack of focusable LEDs in the 2-4 klm range, the size of readily available HID ballasts, and what current incans are capable of.

Suppose you want lots of light with good CRI; the Osram 64440 is within 10% of the efficiency of SSC "natural white" P4 (CRI of 93) at full drive current, and it's way cheaper to build a single-bulb Mag mod than a 30-emitter LED light. (I'm not aware of any 2-phosphor multi-die emitters, or I'd compare them instead; they'd certainly be more practical than the P4, but the 64440 is still far easier.)

And since efficiency is the main advantage LEDs have, it's actually more weird that non-flashaholics are using them, since flashaholics seem to be much better at justifying an expensive light with totally useless runtime, as long as it's insanely bright. :crackup: