Trying to rig a little more power..

cowboyway

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm a flashlight newbie, but I've been reading this board for a few weeks and I'm totally addicted to this stuff. Here's my problem, so I thought I'd ask some of you experts.....

I have a small LED light that mounts to my Compound bow. It produces 80 lumens. I need to keep the housing because it bolts to my bow, and it holds 3AAA batteries.

I really don't know what kind of LED is in it, but I'm wondering if I would be able to buy a more powerful LED bulb yet still be able to use my 3AAA batteries (I just don't see how anything other than the 3AAA's would fit in the housing).

If you need some additional info to lead me in the right direction, let me know. There is a similar light on the market that produces 180 lumens, but it uses one 18650 or two CR123 batteries. I just don't see how I could make that fit in my housing.

Thanks in advance, this is a great site.:twothumbs

cowboyway

Newly Enlightened
I wish it were that easy. Its tough finding something that will fit in a bow without getting your welder out.

After I posted, I was surfing around and came across this.

https://www.dorcydirect.com/p-104-41-4297-160-lumens-6-watt-3aaa-k2.aspx

It says that it is using the 3aaa batteries just like my light, yet its pushing 160 lumens. Would I just be able to either find out what kind of bulb is in it, or find an equivalent, and be good to go, or is it more complicated than that?

Marduke

Flashaholic
LED lights don't use blubs.

Most likely your mount is sized the same as a typical gun mount, meaning it's probably close for 1" diameter. There are MANY lights of that diameter. I recommend looking at some good 1x18650 size lights. The SolarForce L2, Fenix TK11 come to mind.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q5 emitters come in the most diff star/base sizes ..
you can keep the driver , or pick a new one ..

The 3xAAA may be able to use a 18650 with a battery tube .

just depends on how the original light is made ??

Pictures would help ?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I wish it were that easy. Its tough finding something that will fit in a bow without getting your welder out.

Actually, if your bow has a threaded point below or near the handle for a stabilizer, practically any 25mm bodied flashlight can be mounted using a shotgun mount. Typically it would clamp around the barrel and the flashlight but in the case of bow mounting it would clamp around the stabilizer and flashlight body. This would allow you the use of some great lights like the Olight, Fenix, or Eagle Tac.

Regarding the dorcy that you linked, you'd be better served to 86 that idea and look at some of the nicer lights discussed here. Look for something with a Cree LED bin marked Q4, Q5 or R2 all of which will perform far better than what you're using now.

Good luck. :)

cowboyway

Newly Enlightened
Actually, if your bow has a threaded point below or near the handle for a stabilizer, practically any 25mm bodied flashlight can be mounted using a shotgun mount. Typically it would clamp around the barrel and the flashlight but in the case of bow mounting it would clamp around the stabilizer and flashlight body. This would allow you the use of some great lights like the Olight, Fenix, or Eagle Tac.

Regarding the dorcy that you linked, you'd be better served to 86 that idea and look at some of the nicer lights discussed here. Look for something with a Cree LED bin marked Q4, Q5 or R2 all of which will perform far better than what you're using now.

Good luck. :)

Actually its threaded where the stabalizer is usually mounted. The flashlight body bolts directly into where the stabalizer would usually mount.

I just opened it up, and realized the spring inside the flashlight is very long. I'm almost possitive I could fit a 18650 inside of there. If thats the case, I would only need to buy a new LED right? And if so, which one do people recommend to boost the lumens?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see...
First, yes avoid 3xAAA lights like the plague. The dorcy one you put up might be 160 lumens for the first 5 minutes. Then it will steadily decline in output from there. Even if you put a 18500 (An 18650 won't fit, almost guaranteed) in there your current one (or the dorcy) you're still going to have declining output because the light uses a simple resistor to limit voltage to the LED. That's one reason many of us loathe 3AAA lights so much.

Even if you do manage to swap out the LED you're still going to have declining output. I'd assume you're using an older Luxeon based LED light which claims 80 lumens. In actuality far less actually makes it out the front of the light. A Luxeon TFFC K2 or an SSC P4 led should be able to replace the old one. Photon Fanatic sells both in the marketplace.

First thing you need to figure out is whether or not you need just an emitter or one on a star. You'll also need some thermal epoxy to tack it down onto the light so there's some sort of heatsinking and you'll need to desolder the old one off and solder the new one on.
Worth a try if you feel up to the challenge I guess but I'd say you'll get a better overall package by searching more and getting a new light. 1" bodies are standard for many weapon light mounts so they're everywhere.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I just opened it up, and realized the spring inside the flashlight is very long. I'm almost possitive I could fit a 18650 inside of there. If thats the case, I would only need to buy a new LED right? And if so, which one do people recommend to boost the lumens?

Negatory...a 18650 isn't going to fit inside of an existing AAA light if that's indeed what you stated you had now. Perhaps I misunderstood though. If you're talking about the Dorcy, you already know how I feel about that light. Also, it's not just the length of the body is the inside diameter. It might take primary batteries but be too small to fit the fatter 18650.

Unfortunately your original project was presumably started before you found CPF and my brutally honest opinion is that you should sell your light cheap to a buddy and start over. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but if you really want a current technology light on your bow that's what it's going to take. Take it from a fellow archery guy who's also into lights.

btw, what bow are you mounting it on? As another posted stated, pics would be helpful. :)

Last edited:

cowboyway

Newly Enlightened
thanks Phantom and Patriot. I guess I was just wondering if I could just do a simple mod and get more power. I doesn't sound like its that easy.

I'll take your advice and just put it on ebay and buy something more powerful. I have a buddy who has the streamlight super tac and I think with a little rigging, I can get that thing mountined on my bow. It produces 140 lumens and it would be stellar for my bow.

I do alot of hog hunting and was just looking for a little more power. I have a Martin Cheetah. Good bow, not cutting edge or anything, but I don't have any complaints.

Again, thanks to everyone who gave me some input.