MC-E Enhanced Energizer 1xAA *New P7 Powered Version Added*

kz1000s1

Enlightened
If your Cree powered bargain light from Target isn't enough, you can always put in an MC-E.

NEW I just finished a direct drive, Seoul P7 powered version. It has even more flood than with the MC-E because the reflector has to opened up to fit the emitter. Unfortunately the beam isn't as smooth as I thought it might be. At any distance there's an X and some artifacts. Otherwise the beam is even and without a discernable hotspot.
I don't know if shortening the reflector more could help or not. The hole is just big enough to fit the dome now.

DSCN9199_sm.jpg

DSCN9200_sm.jpg

energizermcebeam32v.jpg

Energizer MC-E on 3.2V Lifepo AA

energizerxrcbeam32v.jpg

Stock Energizer Cree on 3.2V Lifepo AA

riverrockp72.jpg

River Rock P7/18650 mod

magp71.jpg

Mag 2C P7/18650 mod

The spill beams on the Energizer MC-E and Mag P7 actually look brighter.
One more detail is that the wall is not white, it's a sand color.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MC-E Enhanced Energizer 1xAA

diabolical little beast!!!

don't be showing off that thing to general consumers... they might buy that thing and be disappointed :devil:

Pman

Newly Enlightened

Gotta Love It:thumbsup:

kz1000s1

Enlightened

Beamshots please :naughty:

I'll get some later if I can. It went from a tight beam with the XR-E to almost all flood with the MC-E. It's very smooth except for a small doughnut hole in the middle. For output, it's close in a ceiling bounce test to a Surefire 200 lumen P91. This is with the emitter still going through the stock regulator and running on an AA Lifepo4 3.2V battery. I'm assuming it's going direct drive at this voltage. I may bore out a spare body for an RCR123 IMR to get 3.7 since a 14500 might be iffy at this current. I can't get an amp reading right now because my meter is acting up. Heat isn't a problem at 3.2V, just a little warm after a minute. The emitter is mounted on a copper plate in place of the star on the stock pill with AA. The pill threads in the head have some AS paste on them.

bob4apple

Enlightened

Ummm, please, please try the 14500.

(I'm sure that if it hurts the flashlight, all the readers of this thread will chip in to buy you a new light, right guys?...Guys?...Where'd everybody go?).

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I have an IMR16340 on the way and the body will get bored out for it.

Also, I might make more of these if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

mattw

Newly Enlightened

Hi, newbie member here... I have been following the forums for a very long time, but did not really become a flashaholic until the last year or so.

I have a couple of these and was considering modding one of them. Do you think the emitter you have chosen is the best for this job? I don't need to be the brightest, but I would love more output. My wifes 1aa Fenix is much more impressive. Does the emitter and driver screw out of the battery tube or do you have to remove the head somehow?

Matt

bob4apple

Enlightened

Ya see that!?! I just knew some kind member of this forum would step up to the plate with a 14500...

... (making it safe for me to appear again in this thread. I, uh, had to step out for a sec to, umm, plant peanut trees for Earth Day).:D

Last edited:

kz1000s1

Enlightened

I have two old version AW14500s [flat top] I have no use for...they've been through at least 5 cycles in the auroralite mod [which is now AWOL], if you want them PM me your addy and I'll send it out.

I'll have them topped off tonight if needed be:wave:

PM sent.

Thanks! lovecpf

I'll try to get some beam shots soon.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.......would you be able to do this to a RR AA light.......and would it be able to use nimh or lith primary.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Nice.......would you be able to do this to a RR AA light.......and would it be able to use nimh or lith primary.

As far being able to physically install the LED, I don't know, I haven't had one of those apart. The MC-E is much smaller and easier to fit, and from what I've seen so far, it may run cooler. Which is the other problem. Ideally you need a larger light if you want to run the light for any length of time.

For what batteries to run it on, I did build a 2C River Rock with a P7 (which is for sale you want to save yourself some work), and I first tried it running through the original regulator. With 2 C alkalines it wasn't much brighter than with the Cree LED it came with. With an 18650 Li-Ion the regulator went direct drive and it was MUCH brighter. Then I removed the regulator and wired it DD. No change in the output, but it potentially improved reliability.