Question about Surefire X300 pistol light

HEDP

Enlightened
I just recieved my Surefire X300 pistol light and noticed that the beam is very rough around the edges.

With my other flashlights the beam is very sharp and round.

Is this common?

Size15's

Flashaholic
What are your other flashlights?
Do you have any featuring the same TIR optic such as the E2DL, L1, E1B, E1L, E2L?

TIR optics do not tend to have as 'perfect' beams as some reflector-based lights can have - especially at very close range (~1 metre or so).
Is what you're seeing something you can share photos of please?

HEDP

Enlightened
What are your other flashlights?
Do you have any featuring the same TIR optic such as the E2DL, L1, E1B, E1L, E2L?

TIR optics do not tend to have as 'perfect' beams as some reflector-based lights can have - especially at very close range (~1 metre or so).
Is what you're seeing something you can share photos of please?

I have a Lumapower MRV SK v1.1, Streamlight Stinger, Streamlight HP, and Surefire X300.

I don't have a picture, but with those other flashlights the main beam is basically a perfect circle with smooth edges.

The Surefire X300 is a circle with rough edges.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't recognise all of those other lights so I assume the X300 is your first and only TIR optic-based light?

Is the beam an issue in use? If it is overly distracting there is a possibility your X300 could have a problem. Very difficult to tell without seeing the beam though.

Al

HEDP

Enlightened
I don't recognise all of those other lights so I assume the X300 is your first and only TIR optic-based light?

Is the beam an issue in use? If it is overly distracting there is a possibility your X300 could have a problem. Very difficult to tell without seeing the beam though.

Al

No, not an issue. Just wondering. All of my other lights have had sharp clear circle beams, this one is different. That's why I was wondering.

What's TIR optic-based lighting?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Traditionally, flashlights have used a reflector to gather and concentrate the light from the light source into the desired beam profile.

Unlike incandescent filament bulbs that radiate light in pretty much every direction from a very small almost 'point' source, LEDs have a very different way of radiating light and the light source is usually far larger in area.
As a result reflectors designed for LED lights have tended to be either deeper and/or wider diameter than for incandescent bulbs. This 'difference' has decreased as LEDs become more intense light emitters.

Another way or collecting the light from an LED and forming it into the desired beam profile is to use an optic (lens) made of polymer or glass. Specifically a optic that uses total internal reflectance (TIR). With the right design and coatings etc these optics can gather and concentrate far more of the light emitted from the LED into the 'useful' beam. One can achieve the same outcome using less light (lower output increases runtime) compared to reflector-based lights. A TIR optic produces a more intense beam compared to the beam produced from a reflector in the same bezel.
In the past more-intense beams required larger bezels. TIR technology seriously challenges this with the likes of the X300 having one of the most intense beams - certainly for it's bezel size.

Non-imaging optics do not project an image of the light source but disrupting the image too much can result in lowering the intensity of the light (thereby reducing the throw of the beam). Reflectors achieve a clean beam by having a disruptive randomising (known as stochastic) [aka "orange peel"] finish rather than a straightforward mirror finish.
It is more challenging to design a clean beam from a TIR optic. One of the reasons for this is because the optics are so efficient at gathering all the light produced - warts and all get thrown out with the rest of the light.

In some flashlights the trade off is well worth it - TIR optics generate impressive beams from short and thin bezels - in use the less than pure beam is no usually an issue.

I hope this helps?

Last edited:

HEDP

Enlightened
Traditionally, flashlights have used a reflector to gather and concentrate the light from the light source into the desired beam profile.

Unlike incandescent filament bulbs that radiate light in pretty much every direction from a very small almost 'point' source, LEDs have a very different way of radiating light and the light source is usually far larger in area.
As a result reflectors designed for LED lights have tended to be either deeper and/or wider diameter than for incandescent bulbs. This 'difference' has decreased as LEDs become more intense light emitters.

Another way or collecting the light from an LED and forming it into the desired beam profile is to use an optic (lens) made of polymer or glass. Specifically a optic that uses total internal reflectance (TIR). With the right design and coatings etc these optics can gather and concentrate far more of the light emitted from the LED into the 'useful' beam. One can achieve the same outcome using less light (lower output increases runtime) compared to reflector-based lights. A TIR optic produces a more intense beam compared to the beam produced from a reflector in the same bezel.
In the past more-intense beams required larger bezels. TIR technology seriously challenges this with the likes of the X300 having one of the most intense beams - certainly for it's bezel size.

Non-imaging optics do not project an image of the light source but disrupting the image too much can result in lowering the intensity of the light (thereby reducing the throw of the beam). Reflectors achieve a clean beam by having a disruptive randomising (known as stochastic) [aka "orange peel"] finish rather than a straightforward mirror finish.
It is more challenging to design a clean beam from a TIR optic. One of the reasons for this is because the optics are so efficient at gathering all the light produced - warts and all get thrown out with the rest of the light.

In some flashlights the trade off is well worth it - TIR optics generate impressive beams from short and thin bezels - in use the less than pure beam is no usually an issue.

I hope this helps?

Thanks. It does.

I assume Surefire uses the TIR because of the small nature of the pistol light?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks. It does.

I assume Surefire uses the TIR because of the small nature of the pistol light?

SureFire have evolved their TIR optics design over many years working with some of the most advanced research and development organisations on the planet (SAIC & DARPA) to understand and improve their ability to get the sort of beam they need from an optic of constrained dimensions.
Keeping things compact and light-weight are key military and law enforcement objectives for kit - especially kit to be weapon-mounted.