What do you with your outdated LED lights?

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
Just curious what you do with older models that aren't as bright and have less runtime. Do you keep them for collection purposes, give them away, still use them, mod them, or...?

My Arc AAA-Ps are now in stuffed into my Nalgene (which is filled with other goodies) that's part of my BOB. I finally harvested the batteries from my surefire e2e's to use for my PD20 (I can't see myself ever using those e2e's), I gave my L1D (rebel 80) to my sister-in-law (along with the diffuser) for her car. Gave away my Fenix L1T v.1 to my brother for picking up dog poop at night. I have a Fenix P1 that didn't get any use until I recently got into RCRs and so the short runtime doesn't bother me anymore. 3D mag with led drop in is the official basement light.

So, what about you guys?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question. I would like to know too....seeing that I'm getting more than I should for past 3 months. :crazy:

I'll might do a sale bonanza this weekend. :thinking:

sv_sniper

Newly Enlightened
I'd say modify it. Since you think it's under-rated, you must not be satisified with it. If it goes bright after mod, that's good. If not, there's nothing to loose.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
So far they're just getting shoved to the back of the shelf or drawer. Got a few that sit out for public view along with old cameras. My wife gives me one shelf in the living room. I really should give some away.

Geoff

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give some away to friends and others I sell.

scott

Enlightened
Put lithiums in them and then put them in the cars. Keep a couple in strategic places in the basement and garage. Keep one near the computer. Give them away.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine have gone to friends, women I've dated, kids, etc. A couple of favorites are still in use, or just hanging around waiting for mods when and if I ever get around to doing them. I have one or two that might show up on the Marketplace, but usually am selling recent purchases that just didn't take the place of what I already have. Most older lights don't move very well, or command much of a price, plus if I've kept them long enough for them to be "outdated" they're usually pretty beat up, so I just give them away.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
  1. B/S/T
  2. Gifts
  3. Keep them because they're cool
  4. Keep them because 100 lumens will always be 100 lumens
  5. Put them in the pile for future Mods
  6. Lose track of them
  7. Find them again
  8. Take them apart

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spares bin to be kept against possible future hurricanes. Really should stick something better in the car; currently have a 3AAA showerhead since I always have a nice EDC.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The majority I give away. I keep my SF's, just because I like them.

The only lights I DO have are:
McGizmo's
Lummi's
SF's
2 Arc-P's

I keep a couple of ASP Elite lights in my truck.

fishx65

Enlightened
They go in the "Very Full" flashlight cabinet. I just found 2 new Tec-40's and 2 new Mags I forgot I had!!!

Tesla

Enlightened
The definition of "outdated" varies, I guess. My Arc AAA, although deemed outdated by some, is my edc in my watch pocket (but my O-Light T10 is never far away in my briefcase....but I digress. I, too, keep many of them around with lithiums and the rest get passed out to flashlight-challenged friends and family. I have minimal modding interest. I've never been able to make a turd shine that brightly by polishing it..:crackup:

Illum

Flashaholic
use them around the house, use them as an excuse to not buy more lights, and that is what makes me happy in an economy like this...finally finding a justifiable reason to not buy new lights even if the reason is not logical:hitit:

oldpal

Enlightened
It's not an LED light, but do you all think that a 10-year old Surefire 3P is outdated and what should I do with it?

Hugh

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an LED light, but do you all think that a 10-year old Surefire 3P is outdated and what should I do with it?

Hugh

Buy a Malkoff M30 dropin, then you will have an up to date light :twothumbs