Scaled up 6P for 2x C Cell (or more)

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of a 2C light for general use. A scaled up 6P to accommodate 2x C cells would be about 200mm. (7.9in.) long compared to 134mm. (5.57in.) of the 6P - a 2C MAG is 227mm. (8.94in.) long for comparison. Head diameter will go up from 32mm. (1.26in.) to 44.5mm. (1.75in.)

Something like a Solarforce L2 with available short (1C) and long (2C) extensions will allow legoing different configurations from 2C to 4C (or more). Using D36 type modules (from Lumens Factory) would fit nicely. Does anyone know if something like this exists? Would you be interested in this concept?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
leef and TnC made body parts for AW's "C" Li-ions and the systems include C-series bezel adapters. And fivemega made C-series bodies for 1x, 2x and 3x "C" cells. Any of these should work with standard C cells, but may require spacers to make up the 2.5mm difference in length of the cells.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two cells should drive a Surefire R30 lamp pretty well for a little while, but a 3v LED is probably a better bet.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off-topic, so please excuse me :D

I remember Ganp posting a photo of a custom build 1C host
with a M3 head .... kinda looked like a Aleph on steriods but very cool
looking.

EDIT .... found a photo, look here
post #27

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried using Elite 5000 Sub Cs in a few different light applications, but ultimately I find the energy density advantage is negated by the lack of dedicated hosts. If someone were to build a tube specifically for the length/width of Sub Cs, I might reconsider. But until then, I prefer LSD Cs.

Incidentally, I find the dimensions of Sub Cs to be the least consistent of all the cell sizes I've played with. I guess since they're generally intended for packs, the dimensions are less of a priority. I can't imagine the headache of designing a tube for them.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
R@andom, thanks for the heads up. I understand that the sub-Cs have higher energy density. Easy availability of C cells is the primary reason for using them.

I have been playing with the concept of a 2C light. This iteration uses a standard 6P head (P60 type modules). It turns out that it could be much shorter than I expected - length is 175mm. vs 200mm. in my first post and only about 41mm. longer than a 18650 (or 2x CR123) 6P type light.

a_59c.jpg

I may look at a scaled up turbo version of the 6P head that will accomodate the larger D36 type modules.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
It does make for a nice package with the 6P-type bezel, as I've used that configuration.

Regarding 2xC (or 3xC), here's a thread (with pics) that you might find interesting, the link below is indexed to the posts of interest:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2910194#post2910194

While some of the subsequent posts deal with running two of the LiIon C's with a (P60-type) M60, there are a few posts regarding running alkaline C's with the Malkoff M30 drop-in. I currently have the FM 2xC and 3xC and they are very very nice units. Good performance with alkaline cells.
0211091637a-1.jpg

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216471
There are only three 3xC's still available, once they're gone, they're gone...

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel, thanks for the links - very interesting.

Here is rendering of what the family could look like. Interestingly, the 3C version is just slightly shorter (225mm) than a MAG 2C.

a_59d.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have finalized the design for the 2C and 3C lights. Instead of being P60 module compatible, it will have a head that features adjustable (focusing) beam size/angle. This makes it more compact/shorter than the previous versions and more useful as a general purpose and duty light. Shown here for size comparison with a 6P is the 2C (with crenallated bezel) and 3C (with plain bezel). The 3C is actually shorter by more than an inch than a 2C M@G. The 2C (with plain bezel) is only a tad longer than the 6P. All versions will be constructed from 7075 (instead of 6061) and be Type III HA. Bezels are 316L stainless steel.

a_60j.jpg

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
gsxrac, pricing will be competitive with other made in USA lights - hopefully the MSRP can be around $100 mark.

tx101, they will operate on 3.7V to 8.4V so the 2C version should be able to handle 26500 LiIon cells (assuming they are the same size as C cells).

gsxrac

Enlightened
I guess ever since I read about the 2C+M60 and the runtimes I just thought wowww. And then I saw the price of AW C-cells and I'm still slowly picking my jaw off the ground lol. But I think given the chance and some extra cash I'd like to buy both!

Did you say you will do a single cell host?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single cell version is going to look real stubby. I am considering a 1.3C that will take a 26650 size LiFePO4 cell such as this one:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2385
These cells are much safer in use than LiIon's and have a significantly longer cycle life (2,000+ cycles vs. 200-300 cycles for LiIon) making them a much more economical proposition. Even then, this 1.3C version looks real stubby - with a plain bezel, it is almost an inch shorter than a 6P.

a_60n.jpg

gsxrac

Enlightened
It's a beefed up 3P! And we all know 3P Clones sell like hotcakes! And can we please make the CB optional and not standard?

Last edited: