Throw, Flood or mix what do you like?

STi

Newly Enlightened
So what do you guys preffer? I'm a sucker for throwers!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Depends on the mission. I want lights to do certain tasks, and they should be capable of illuminating as good as possible. Often, flood is way better than throw for most applications.
bernie

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
I prefer throw over flood because you can use a thrower close up,( better then trying to use a flooder at long range). Plus you can use a diffuser on a throwy light to make it better for close-up tasks.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Interesting - I went out last night (looking for our cat !) armed with an Extreme and a D10, and the difference, although slight, was definitely noticeable: the D10 has a broader beam, and the Extreme a tighter hotspot which throws quite a lot further.

Interestingly, neither seemed to me better than the other: in some situations the D10 was better and in others the Extreme - not always a matter of distance either: for example the narrower beam of the Extreme was better for peering through small gaps in the shrubbery, but the D10 was better for illuminating an area (behind the shed for example).

So I'd find it hard to pick a favourite - as has been said already, both have their uses, and I'm quite happy to carry and use both.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I like a good mix. Give me 60 throw and 40 flood and I can do most ordinary flashlight tasks.

Reading, I want all flood. Spotting something in the top of a tree from the other side of a field, I want all throw.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like a good mix. Give me 60 throw and 40 flood and I can do most ordinary flashlight tasks.

Reading, I want all flood. Spotting something in the top of a tree from the other side of a field, I want all throw.

Same here. It's good to have different lights for flood and throw, but for EDC/general use I like something inbetween.

YuccaPatrol

Newly Enlightened
While walking my dogs at night, I carry two Deerelights: one with the R2 and smooth reflector for throw and the other with the MC-E quad die emitter for flood.

Most of the time, I use the MC-E as I like to light up the path as wide as possible and it's lumen advantage over the R2 allows it to throw quite well just by sheer force.

Barking dogs left outside in the backyard and drivers of cars going too fast in the neighborhood or not yielding to pedestrians get a nice blast from the R2

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flood is more useful... but throw makes the flashlight awesome!

I've never needed to iluminate more than 50 yards away.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I am more of a throw guy because I love showing someone a little light and blowing them away. But for a more practical use I like an even mix. Most of the time when you need a light its for small little duties say around the house or on the car. You dont want a light that can throw because it will be way to bright and blind you because your a few feet away from it. In a case like that of course you want flood. Thats why you need a flashlight for different duties. People say why do you need so many, I can see have atleast 2. And I say well jerky, each light has it own uses.

victor01

Newly Enlightened
Since I exclusively use my flashlight indoor, therefore I prefer flood. The gerber infinities I purchased from Sigman would make me even happier. (currently using D10)

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I am a throw guy, love my DBS but once I got my Mag 1D P7 from BriteLumen, all I can say now is I love my flood too. But as the SGT said, I like a combo of both in one light :)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flood and throw combined as in my latest light ;) I can use it up close with out a diffuser and it will throw some 800 ft plus, I'm happy :D

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I prefer flood in general, throw is better for me if I happen to only be carrying one light (not very often). As Surefired said, you can use a throwy light up close but you cannot use a floodier light for distance.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to prefer flood more. My T10L has a pretty good balance for general use. It has a decent amount of throw and a not too large of a hotspot, but has very bright spill and a nice corona around the hotspot. It can really light up a wide area, which can be very useful. I really don't like having my field of view limited to the pencil thin beam of a dedicated LED thrower. My malkoff maglite has more throw than the Eagletac, but it isn't really as useful for general use. The beam is just too thin when fully focused to light up a decent area at closer distances.

Besides, LED throwers just aren't as impressive as a 35 watt HID, which pretty much blows any LED away. Granted, it isn't as small, but I don't really use it in any situations that require a small light. It is pretty good for "wow factor" as well.
To most people, the T10L has more throw than any light they have ever used, so it has a decent amount of "wow factor" too.

savumaki

Enlightened
Depends on the mission. I want lights to do certain tasks, and they should be capable of illuminating as good as possible. Often, flood is way better than throw for most applications.
bernie

My thoughts also;
but imagine this- a light that dials from pure flood to pure spot :poof: I just woke up.