SF M6 glass lens why to buy?

DM51

Flashaholic
I can tell you what the answer will be - not available. The SF heads/bezels are not intended to be disassembled.

If you break one, you send it back to SF and they replace the whole head, not just the lens (unless you have abused it in an unreasonable way, such as by using it to break up concrete, or dropping it out of an airplane etc).

FYI the lenses are made from Pyrex, which is a toughened glass, so you would have to work at it quite hard to break one.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is incorrect. Pyrex is Pyrex. Toughened glass, e.g., tempered, is toughened glass. They are not the same nor are they interchangeable terms. Pyrex's main advantage over regular glass is a much lower thermal expansion coefficient. But you need to temper Pyrex to "toughen" it.

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, I stand corrected! Thank you. Guilty of inexactitude, as charged. It was rather like that when I once had the temerity to call Nitrolon "plastic". You should have heard the howls of outrage from Size15's, lol.

In mitigation, may I enter a plea that Pyrex could be referred to as a type of glass-like material, renowned for its toughness? That is what I meant.

donn_

Flashaholic
This is incorrect. Pyrex is Pyrex. Toughened glass, e.g., tempered, is toughened glass. They are not the same nor are they interchangeable terms. Pyrex's main advantage over regular glass is a much lower thermal expansion coefficient. But you need to temper Pyrex to "toughen" it.

Actually, it depends upon where it is manufactured. Pyrex kitchen items made in the US are now tempered soda glass, while those made in France are still the original borosilicate glass.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, for the fake World Kitchens soda-lime "Pyrex", which is not a borosilicate, it comes tempered because that's the only way it will have any sort of properties close to that of real borosilicate Pyrex. But IMO it is more accurate to call the solda-lime "Pyrex" glass a tempered float glass (for window applications). IMO, it is deceptive to call a soda-lime window glass Pyrex. I doubt that this soda-lime Pyrex is a two-phase ceramic either.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Damn you really know your glass pal!
icon14.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
Isn't Pyrex a registered trademark? If so, you wouldn't be able to call the soda thingy "Pyrex", would you? (I believe the borosilicate formulation is older?)

DM51

Flashaholic
So... does this mean it's not actually as safe as we thought to use an M6 lens for cooking on?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, technically the soda-lime concoction is "Pyrex" because it is merely a marketing thing. However, #1 I would surprised if SureFire uses the consumer grade Pyrex (e.g., bakeware, which is far from "water white") for their flashlight windows. #2, SureFire clearly does not use this soda-lime BS Pyrex. See http://www.surefire.com/why_surefire#Tempered_Pyrex

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one last week. Contact LED Zeppelin. He has the mods for the M6's and spare lens/windows cut from borofloat glass.

DocD

Enlightened
thanks for the info i'll give led zep a try and at least i'll know what type of glass lens to ask for ;) got to say it make good reading cheers to all DocD