Good new single mode AAA edc?

testmonket

Newly Enlightened
I love my Fenix L0P that has been on my keychain for 3 years or so now. But.. the flashaholic in me would like to replace it with a newer technology. I've looked into the newer Fenix models, which look nice, but the only AAA lights I've seen have this Low>Med>High>SOS>Strobe>Spotlight>Stadium>Survival>JohnTravolta>EnigmaMachine digital interface thing going on. Fine for a purpose torch, but I'm not really interested in it for a keychain light.

What I'd really like is a simple, small, AAA-based keychain light that is REALLY bright when turned on, but that I can forget about otherwise. Battery life isn't really an issue, since it's only on for 1-5 minutes every few days/weeks, and when the battery dims noticeably I just replace it. Parasitic drain cannot happen in this case.

Any suggestions? Or should I just stick with the original L0P? There has to be something newer/better by now...

Thanks for any suggestions!

victor01

Newly Enlightened
I love my Fenix L0P that has been on my keychain for 3 years or so now. But.. the flashaholic in me would like to replace it with a newer technology. I've looked into the newer Fenix models, which look nice, but the only AAA lights I've seen have this Low>Med>High>SOS>Strobe>Spotlight>Stadium>Survival>JohnTravolta>EnigmaMachine digital interface thing going on. Fine for a purpose torch, but I'm not really interested in it for a keychain light.

What I'd really like is a simple, small, AAA-based keychain light that is REALLY bright when turned on, but that I can forget about otherwise. Battery life isn't really an issue, since it's only on for 1-5 minutes every few days/weeks, and when the battery dims noticeably I just replace it. Parasitic drain cannot happen in this case.

Any suggestions? Or should I just stick with the original L0P? There has to be something newer/better by now...

single aaa really bright single mode light

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single mode, Tank007 is brighter than Akoray. :)

3aaan.jpg

Good info can be found on HKJ's AAA thread.

HKJ

Flashaholic

The LD01 only has 3 models (med->low-high) and are a very nice light, especially in the stainless steel version.

You can see a roundup of more AAA lights here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=229430
I will be adding more AAA lights to this roundup in a few weeks.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider a Peak Baltic. Uses a very bright, neutral tint P4 with a semi-custom choice of single power levels. Available in aluminum, stainless, brass, (and possibly titanium but I'm not sure about this). It can take any AAA battery chemistry.

It's very simple, beautifully made, and has become my favorite keychain edc.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also heard good thinks about the tank, also one of the new kd buckles might fit your needs.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also heard good thinks about the tank, also one of the new kd buckles might fit your needs.

Tank007 is not brighter than LD01, but it makes up with a very smooth beam and uses a nice clicky (if you like clicky).

For similar sized AAA & single mode that's brighter than Tank007, it would be the Aurora R2 twisty.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just get the LD01 and don't use the other modes. It has the same interface as your L0P, but is brighter.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could upgrade the L0P with new emitter.

I have one upgraded with an SSC P4, and while I'm not blown away by the increase in output, it is noticeable.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can score a McGizmo Sapphire, that would be a perfect light for the keychain. I am very, very happy with mine.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
The McGizmo Saphires are available right now, although you'll have to buy the ARC variant. They are the exact same light except ARC gives you the option between two different LEDs (or get the kit with both the 3mm and the 5mm) whereas McGizmo only comes with the 3mm LED.

thedeske

Enlightened
An LD01 saved me tons of time today on an install of some electronics for a friend. I never considered using anything other than the first mode.
It's nice to know it will go lower or higher on twist 2&3, but I think the first twist will get 95% of the action from my keyring.