Olight M30 Triton, far from IP68 water resistance capability...

Status
Not open for further replies.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, folks.
Especially M30 Triton holders.
I have quite some people who own M30 Triton, reporting to the local forums that the light is not only far from IP68 spec, but also not capable of water resistance. Meaning, water flows inside the flashlight when put in the bathtub, even after tightening all the parts from head to tail. :(
Sent couple of emails to olight, but they're not reachable.
I'd like to hear from other people who own this light.

Cheers. :wave:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I suggest you read up on what the IP68 spec actually means. There is a recent thread on it.

And no, it does NOT mean the light is necessarily waterproof in a sink/bathtub/shower/pool etc.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you read up on what the IP68 spec actually means. There is a recent thread on it.

And no, it does NOT mean the light is necessarily waterproof in a sink/bathtub/shower/pool etc.

Hello, Marduke.

Thanks for your info.

This is what I found regarding IP68 specification, so far.

"IP 67, IP67 Dust-proof, temporary immersion (shallow, up to 1m)
IP 68, IP68 Dust-proof, permanent immersion, under pressure "

Can you give me a link of thread you're referring to, please?

Marduke

Flashaholic
The IP certification in question is a lab certification, which does NOT relate to real world use.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229090

There are also recent similar threads with similarly confused people on ZebraLight and EagleTac.

Was the light in properly maintained and lubricated condition?
Did you observe the completely static nature of the test?
Did you observe temperature restrictions of the test?
Was the light in use during the test?
Was the light actuated during the test?

etc etc....

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IP certification in question is a lab certification, which does NOT relate to real world use.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229090

There are also recent similar threads with similarly confused people on ZebraLight and EagleTac.

Was the light in properly maintained and lubricated condition?
Did you observe the completely static nature of the test?
Did you observe temperature restrictions of the test?
Was the light in use during the test?
Was the light actuated during the test?

etc etc....

Well, it helps. Thanks Marduke. :thumbsup:
Apart from getting the real sense of what it means, I guess many are really mad realizing the guide lines provided is not really what it says. :grin2:

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
I heard about this too but I never found this problem by my self.

IMHO no matter what to explain IP68 standfor if it cant resist the water in the bathup
,the manufacturer shoudnt mark it waterproof that make people misunderstand.:ironic:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a thread on how water resistent the different lights are?

I used Maglites (heavy rain, laid in the rain for 2 days), an M20 Warrior, TK10, TK11 & TK20 in the (light) rain without a problem so far.

It always is a good idea to check the o-rings and lube if necessary before going in the field, if possible on a regulary basis, because the tightest light will leak if the o-ring isn't 100 percent...

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a thread on how water resistent the different lights are?

I used Maglites (heavy rain, laid in the rain for 2 days), an M20 Warrior, TK10, TK11 & TK20 in the (light) rain without a problem so far.

It always is a good idea to check the o-rings and lube if necessary before going in the field, if possible on a regulary basis, because the tightest light will leak if the o-ring isn't 100 percent...

I agree Henk Lu.

And I guess it's the orings that matter in this case of M30.

I think the manufacturer should pay closer attention when they have their products out of their warehouse. It's strange that M30 has such a wonderful package, and didn't pay attention to the quality orings, not to mention the additional orings in the package. :shrug:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I am sorry to hear this as I have just received a new M30.

Not only this, but now I see that the PWM is also a very low frequency and therefore obvious in low or medium settings. :(

Armed with this knowledge beforehand and I would have most likely passed on this purchase.

I was taken with the compactness and neat design and therefore ordered one prior to waiting for these sort of reviews.

Does anyone know which of the seals is responsible for the water ingress?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The o-rings are probably the same as those from the M20. Tiny, little ones, but double protection. Mine looked good, even if you could add a little lube.

The head, which you shouldn't open, has a bigger o-ring which looked tougher. I didn't take the lens out nor disassemble the tailcap, which has two switches and I wondered how the S-switch is sealed? If they thought about that as carefully as they thought about finding it with gloves in the dark... :(

The overall built quality seems fine, personnally I don't mind the PWM, but I don't like the whining of the head, which doesn't occur always though.

I don't regret the purchase because of the good price and the nice and powerfull beam. The M30 won't be my EDC and I would not recommend to a non-flashaholic who's looking for a universal and powerfull flashlight.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the point of making an immersion-proof standard claim if real life situation prove otherwise?

ergotelis

Enlightened
Can you please post some links with the people saying that M30 is not waterproof?Thanks!

edit: It shoud be here in a few days. If i don't have any problems in unscrewing the parts i will test it.

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened

Do you know chinese?How did you read it? I used babelfish and made some sense.
If the problem is the o-rings then puting bigger ones might solve the problem. If not, then, i would be really dissapointed with my purchase. Apart from the very low pwm we now have water resistance problem!:shakehead

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know chinese?

Hi, ergotelis !
It's Corean.
Korean, if you wish to say.
They've got quite tasty stuffs like polarion, amilite, jil-lite, ez-nite, litemania(Sgt.Burkett), bitz, besides PK (Paul Kim). :)

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened
It is all chinese to me, my friend octaf!:laughing:
But damn it seems like a serious problem in waterproofing! I will test mine before doing anything, before using it outdoor(fishing mainly,waterproofing in something important!) .If it has a serious problem i won't keep it.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, right ! :crackup:

I hope your M30 will be alright !
& Let us know once you test yours.

cheers. :rolleyes:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The reports I've read indicate that the leaks are most likely in the head. :)

There's 3 possible points of entry in the head itself.

1) through the glass window
2) in between the front part of the head and the back part which houses the led and heat sink
3) between the head and the body.

Mine is sealed between the head and the body which makes me a bit suspicious since its impossible to see what the seal is like there.

Status
Not open for further replies.