Surefire 6p LED

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Surefire 6P LED and used it a couple of times for a total run time of 10 or 12 minutes. It is now dead! The batteries are OK and not discharged. Other than a bad LED, I can't figure out what could be wrong. Poor quality control? Any ideas? I guess I will have to send it in to be repaired. Bummer, I have to pay postage to CA to get a new light fixed!! This happened to me 2 years ago with a Streamlight PP 4 AA light and the head of the company called me up personally to apologize and he sent me 3 new lights for free! I hope Surefire is as good to its customers as Streamlight!

dougie

Enlightened
Hi

Before you send off the light are you absolutely sure the cells are ok? Have you tried any others in the light? If you swop the batteries out and find their not to blame you should also try to find another lamp module (either incandescent or LED) to see if your LED module is duff.

Whilst it may be a dead LED module it is very uncommon for these to fail and I suspect that the batteries are the fault. At least you should try to eliminate all the likely causes before sending it off!

Doug

Carpenter

Enlightened
+1 to what Dougie said.

Take the tailcap off and use a paperclip to connect the negative end of fresh batteries to the body. This will determine if your tailcap is to blame.

My bet is that the P60L blew. If lamp assemblies are going to fail, it's normally during the first 20-30 minutes of their use. Shoot me a pm with your address. I have a spare P60L I can let you use to troubleshoot this.

If you can do some troubleshooting and know exactly what the problem is before caling SF, they will send you just the part that failed. Lot cheaper and faster than sending in the whole light.

Last edited:

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
Surefire is very helpful, if you can determine the problem, they'll send you a new part. I had an old E1e and called them about the tailcap, as the rubber was about worn through, and they just sent me a new tailcap, free of charge, didn't even want the old one back. Streamlight has very good service too, I had a microstream switch fail and they sent me two extra tailswitches no questions asked as well. Makes a guy want to buy American made lights, doesn't it? :D

GPB

Enlightened
If you have a multi-meter you might want to take the bezel off and make sure that you're getting voltage to the front of the light. If you aren't, its most likely the batteries are either dead or not making contact or the switch. If you are getting voltage to the front of the light, it's either the LED is bad or not making a connection. A meter and a paperclip should allow you to figure out exactly where the breakdown is.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all that replied! I tried the paper clip trick and no light. My meter says the cells have 3.10 volts each and are new. I put the meter to the negative end of the cells and the side of the Surefire and it reads 5.85 volts so I have power but no light. The LED must be bad or something went bad in the module. For the 10 minutes it worked, it was a nice light. I'm glad I didn't rely on it for anything! I sent it back to SureFire. Looks like I'm back to my time proven light-an Eternalight! It has never failed me. Hope Surefire sends me something that works longer than 10 minutes!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 6PL has gone to hell and back and I think it works better.

That's not a good way to start with a company but with over 10 lights from SureFire, I've never had one do anything but what I expected from what they said.

When it gets back it's going to replace that Eternalight.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all that replied and assured me about my dud Surefire 6p LED. I bought it new, used it for a few minutes and it died. I sent it back at my expense(paid to ship a new light to get it to work) and after about a week or so, Surefire sent me back a 6P LED without any explanation to why it failed. The good news is that this one works(at least for the 20 seconds I've used it so far) Last year, I bought a Streamlight and it was defective. I called the company and explained the problem. The head supervisor called me back within an hour and apoligized for the defective light. He paid for me to ship it back to him and sent me two additional Streamlights free of charge! Plus he repaired the light I sent him, sent it back to me and explained why it failed! This was a class act! Maybe Surefire has more failures then it claims and can't take the time to respond like Streamlight. Who knows?