making bodies for production lights

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys... i'm new to creating a new body for a branded production light...

i was just wondering what the implications are with regards to patents... copyrights... permissions of doing something like this with the intention of selling like 50-100 here on CPF...

if anyone can shed some light on this... would be great...

KraZy

greenLED

Flashaholic
i was just wondering what the implications are with regards to patents... copyrights... permissions of doing something like this with the intention of selling like 50-100 here on CPF...
If you're making 1-2 for your own use, you'd probably be "OK".

However, if you're planning on selling, I'd expect legal action from the copyright and patents owners. (IOW, don't do it.)

krazy89

Enlightened
If you're making 1-2 for your own use, you'd probably be "OK".

However, if you're planning on selling, I'd expect legal action from the copyright and patents owners. (IOW, don't do it.)
hmm... i kinda figured that might be the case... however... how about the Ti bodies for the EX10's by Russtang.... i guess he woulda had to ask permission from nitecore and mcgizmo before making them??

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
Indeed but Mag, Streamlight or SF probably won't be as accommodating as Don.

(Ask Russ.)
hey green... hehe... indeed i asked Russ... and he did provide the answer i'm looking for...

thank you for your knowledge into this as well...

KraZy

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think it depends on how closely you clone someone elses design or encroach on their patents.

Make something different & unique to clear yourself of the legal issues.

Curious.... I wonder if you called Surefire and explained your situation, and that you wanted to custom fabricate a 6P compatible body of your own design (say):
-IPX-8 WR
-GITD accents
-typeIII
-removable aluminum grip ring
-big heatsink fins to cool the LED module
-magnet mount to stick to metal surfaces

Let them know your design is SF compatible but NOT a cloned product. I wonder if they would share their design patents with you?... or at least provide feedback on how to do this without the threat of being taken to court?

Last edited:

krazy89

Enlightened
ummm... does solarforce have surefire's blessing for the L2's?????

i can't imagine that they did... otherwise... they would probably need to pay royalties and what not...

as for what i'm creating... it's just a custom body for an EX10 / D10... not too much different than the Ti bodies that russ did....

KraZy

spearsniper

Newly Enlightened
You should be OK, providing you are not copying the prodution design.
You will be making an item that would be "compatable" with a production light.
This would be similar to making performance parts for a car - Just because a car comes with a spoiler out of the factory, does not make it an infringement of copyright to put on another spoiler of a different design.

I would say go for it. However be careful with how you market these, as you do not want to alienate the original manafacturer.

krazy89

Enlightened
You should be OK, providing you are not copying the prodution design.
You will be making an item that would be "compatable" with a production light.
This would be similar to making performance parts for a car - Just because a car comes with a spoiler out of the factory, does not make it an infringement of copyright to put on another spoiler of a different design.

I would say go for it. However be careful with how you market these, as you do not want to alienate the original manafacturer.
hey spear...

thanks for the info... and support...

nitecores have become my favorite lights as of late... specially the EX10... i pretty much carry one with me everywhere... and i carry my D10 once in awhile... but not as often... as i got a Ti EX10 body...

but i agree... i won't alienating nitecore for sure... as that's not my intent... i'm gonna be offering a substitute for the OEM body... and hopefully my solution for a pet peeve of mine will also strike a cord with others that own a D10/EX10 combo...

but as i'm still in the middle of prototyping... i shouldn't say more... shhh...

KraZy

sygyzy

Enlightened
There are many ways to look at this. First, what does the letter of the law say? Do you care? And most importantly, would you ever be caught or prosecuted?

What about all the people who have made Surefire bodies, heads, tails, adapters - Balrog, Fivemega (?), McGizmo, AW (?), Solarforce, etc.

Also, no offense spearsniper, but your spoiler analogy is pretty bad.