SSC P7 Lens

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to clean the LED lens on a SSC P7 ?

I just got my first Spare SSC P7 and the lens on the LED is much clearer than the one in my flashlight ...

Or is it normal for some to have a more murky lens .
:thinking:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it can be cleaned, from the Seoul Semiconductor P7 PDF

• This device should not be used in any type of fluid such as water, oil, organic solvent and etc. When washing is required, IPA(Isopropyl Alcohol) should be used.​
I have been cleaning my silicone dome LEDs from SSC with 70% or greater IPA with no ill affect. The higher the concentration the less water in the mixture.
I just dip a qtip in IPA and swab it over the LED, let the IPA evaporate and close up the light.

easilyled

Flashaholic
When I went on holiday to Caribbean Grenada many moons ago, I bought a bottle of local rum from a distillery that was 70% proof.

Apart from the tiniest drop, none of this has been imbibed. I am now using it for cleaning the gummy domes of my P4s and P7s
by soaking an end of a q-tip in it. Then I dry it with a blast of compressed air.

This seems to work well and I've noticed no ill-effects. :drunk:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
70% proof is 35% by volume. I've always found that to be a little confusing.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I use the same sort of swabs the doctor or nurse uses before doing a blood test or injection.
They also work very well for cleaning any small excess of Arctic Alumina around your LED.

swab.jpg

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would use a lintless, microfiber cloth, dipped in IPA to clean the SSC P7 dome (also fine for SSC P4 domes). These sorts of cloths are the same ones people use to clean their AR-coated, plastic lens eyeglasses. Dip a corner of the cloth in the IPA and then gently brush the wetted corner along the surface of the dome to pick up the debris. Don't use your finger to press the cloth into the dome. You risk dislodging or otherwise damaging the dome.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would use a lintless, microfiber cloth, dipped in IPA to clean the SSC P7 dome (also fine for SSC P4 domes). These sorts of cloths are the same ones people use to clean their AR-coated, plastic lens eyeglasses. Dip a corner of the cloth in the IPA and then gently brush the wetted corner along the surface of the dome to pick up the debris. Don't use your finger to press the cloth into the dome. You risk dislodging or otherwise damaging the dome.
Thats a great idea! No longer will I use the Qtip